GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problem with a (home) USB network"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/02/03 at 14:04
Regular
I'm just running a small, home USB network (2 comps), but sometimes the two computers lose the connections between each other. If I restart one particular machine, they seem to be able to find each other again. My theory is that the computer's power supply is not large enough to sustain the USB's connection between both computers for a long period of time, and therefore it screws up. If that's correct, would I be right in thinking that a powered USB hub would rectify this?
And if so, how much do they generally cost, and is there anything I should be aware of?

Specs of the computer that seems to be at fault:
Its only old, and is now only used for office apps, browsing and web site creating:
AMD K6/2 300, 128mb RAM, Voodoo3 card etc. Since it's so old would that mean that the power supply in it would be low powered anyway? It has been upgraded with the voodoo3 from some old rubbishy 2d graphics card, and the ram from 64 up to 128, and an optical mouse. And come to think of it, I think the CD-ROM has aswell, but can't remember if there was a speed increase of anything. Would all this be enought to eat up that much power to give instability in the USB ports?
Tue 18/02/03 at 09:37
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Miserableman wrote:
> Get ethernet :o

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/info.php?code=GG8825 . how does that look? And would I just need 2 of them and a cable of some sort?
help me, i'm confused :S
Mon 17/02/03 at 23:26
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
whats wrong with CAT5 LAN networking.
Mon 17/02/03 at 21:30
Regular
"bing bang bong"
USB networks are just gay. Very gay. Your disconnections are probably caused by inherent instabilities in the system, and are unlikely to be linked to power consumption as I can't imagine a USB link consuming very much power at all.

Get ethernet :o
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:57
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Thanks
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:46
"Bothered!"
the powered hub will fix the prblem but only if u plug all devices into it. Im assuming that all of ur comps usb ports are in use otherwise there shouldn´t be a problem. You can get a 7 port powered/host powered hub for approx. 40 pounds
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:27
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I could do, but that looks complicated and I wouldn't really know where to start with one. Plus I'm going to need a USB hub soon anyway. SO would the powered hub solve it?
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:12
Regular
"Digging!"
If you wanted you could get a new PSU (power supply unit) from http://www.novatech.co.uk/
Mon 17/02/03 at 14:04
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I'm just running a small, home USB network (2 comps), but sometimes the two computers lose the connections between each other. If I restart one particular machine, they seem to be able to find each other again. My theory is that the computer's power supply is not large enough to sustain the USB's connection between both computers for a long period of time, and therefore it screws up. If that's correct, would I be right in thinking that a powered USB hub would rectify this?
And if so, how much do they generally cost, and is there anything I should be aware of?

Specs of the computer that seems to be at fault:
Its only old, and is now only used for office apps, browsing and web site creating:
AMD K6/2 300, 128mb RAM, Voodoo3 card etc. Since it's so old would that mean that the power supply in it would be low powered anyway? It has been upgraded with the voodoo3 from some old rubbishy 2d graphics card, and the ram from 64 up to 128, and an optical mouse. And come to think of it, I think the CD-ROM has aswell, but can't remember if there was a speed increase of anything. Would all this be enought to eat up that much power to give instability in the USB ports?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.