GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't you think this is a bit crap?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/02/03 at 23:12
Regular
I got Freeserve Broadband back when it first came out. Great! Broadband! My face could be found in the dictionary next to the word 'Ecstatic'.

Then in the back end of December I requested for a line-change (at the extortionate cost of £75!). Fair enough, the request goes through and I wait for the change to complete.

Then a surprising thing happened - a BT engineer turned up and said he needed to check the new line before he could approve the conversion. This, as I now understand, is normal if you live in an 'Amber' area. Anyway, the engineer refused the line and said it wasn't good enough to handle ADSL.

So ok, the conversion won't go through as BT will let Freeserve know and I'll have to use the old line.

THEN MY ORIGINAL CONNECTION CEASES OPERATION!!!

I immediately get onto freeserve about it and they have the cheek to tell me that I, not BT, I had to tell them it was refused! So they cutt off my original connection before the new one had been approved.

To this day I am still without Broadband because Freeserve are now telling me I will have to pay ANOTHER £75 just to get it back on the original line! When it was those idiots that terminated it prematurely!

We have now terminated the contract - prematurely - and have gone back to the ever-so-fast dial-up.

My face now resides next to the word 'gutted' in the dictionary...
Tue 18/02/03 at 16:45
Regular
I already had the equipment, this was for line conversion - moving my connection from one line to another - not activation as such.

And the only reason they can give you free activation these days is because it is subsidised due to the fact that you are taking out a contract with that ISP.

And cjh, believe me when I say I have spent ENDLESS hours to both companies!

I'll just see what my solicitor has to say about this...
Mon 17/02/03 at 11:59
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
But hang on! BT Offer free activation on lines now. when companies say the cost of line activation is half price all that means is that the cost of the activation is slashed and all your paying for is the eqipment
I.e

£150 (a while ago) £85 for activation £65 for eqipment!
£75 (the pricses now) £0 for activation (as bt are doing it for free for comapnies ) and £75 for eqipment! so i dont see why your paying that 75 pound coz thats for the eqipment! not the activation!

f.t
Mon 17/02/03 at 10:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Freeserve are clearly in the wrong for doing what they did, and you are too, for just giving up and not fighting for your money back :).

Don't let them take you for a ride ... they are just trying to keep your money because the see you won't fight for it.

Firstly, phone them up and tell them how paying £75 for something that they didn't provide is illigal, and you not only want your money back, you want a little extra for the hassle.

If that doesn't work, get onto BT, ask them ... no, demand of them a letter comfirming that one of their guys came out and checked the line, and made the comments that he did, about "freeserve being wrong".

If Freeserve/BT said your line wasn't good enough for conversion, then why exactly are you required to pay for a conversion that can't, hasn't, and will never happen. Freesreve, have no grounds for keeping your money .... go get it back.
Sun 16/02/03 at 23:54
Regular
p4_man wrote:
> Ive got freeserve broadband. ive had no problems with it.
> No enginer came to my house. i think you should sign up to freeserve
> but put a complaint in to their customer service and im sure they`l
> refund you the 75 quid any maybe the othher 75 quid an all. i never
> had to my line checked by an enginer. Is adsl not available in your
> area or was it jsut the line that needed checking.

If your house is in an 'amber' area, i.e you are at such a distance from the exchange that your line quality is not guaranteed to be sufficient, then a BT engineer MUST come out before the ISP can go through with the connection. Even the engineer was surprised that nobody came out the first time and he even recommended that I terminate the contract because Freeserve are in the wrong
Sun 16/02/03 at 23:50
Regular
It's a complicated little thang, but basically, I paid Freeserve the £75 to change the broadband connection from one telephone line/number to another. This didn't happen yet they still took the damn money.

In order to get e refund, they say I need 'written proof' that a BT engineer actually came out. Bo11ox! The only people who can access that information is Freeserve themselves, through BT Wholesale's Technical Department.

Freeserve are simply a bunch of w4nker5 and I sincerely hope they go under.
You give them a valid argument, where you are in the right, and they spout a truckload of bull**** just so they don't have to pay out!

Screw them. I'll go elsewhere. They didn't even have the line checked when I first got it, it seems they were just out to get my money...

BTW, I don't have a DACS setup, it's just the matter of our distance from the exchange and line noise.
Sun 16/02/03 at 23:45
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
Ive got freeserve broadband. ive had no problems with it.
No enginer came to my house. i think you should sign up to freeserve but put a complaint in to their customer service and im sure they`l refund you the 75 quid any maybe the othher 75 quid an all. i never had to my line checked by an enginer. Is adsl not available in your area or was it jsut the line that needed checking.
Sun 16/02/03 at 23:39
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I don't know what a line change is, but freeserve have nothing to do with the line as such afaik, so you shouldn't be paying any money to them. And if BT rejected the line upgrade, they should also refund you your £75. It is probably because they have been cheap in the past and put in a DACS line to your house. Either way, you're getting screwed out of a lot of money.
Sun 16/02/03 at 23:12
Regular
I got Freeserve Broadband back when it first came out. Great! Broadband! My face could be found in the dictionary next to the word 'Ecstatic'.

Then in the back end of December I requested for a line-change (at the extortionate cost of £75!). Fair enough, the request goes through and I wait for the change to complete.

Then a surprising thing happened - a BT engineer turned up and said he needed to check the new line before he could approve the conversion. This, as I now understand, is normal if you live in an 'Amber' area. Anyway, the engineer refused the line and said it wasn't good enough to handle ADSL.

So ok, the conversion won't go through as BT will let Freeserve know and I'll have to use the old line.

THEN MY ORIGINAL CONNECTION CEASES OPERATION!!!

I immediately get onto freeserve about it and they have the cheek to tell me that I, not BT, I had to tell them it was refused! So they cutt off my original connection before the new one had been approved.

To this day I am still without Broadband because Freeserve are now telling me I will have to pay ANOTHER £75 just to get it back on the original line! When it was those idiots that terminated it prematurely!

We have now terminated the contract - prematurely - and have gone back to the ever-so-fast dial-up.

My face now resides next to the word 'gutted' in the dictionary...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.