GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"School holidays- why so much work?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/02/03 at 17:32
Regular
My school broke up for half term today! One week off!!! Everyone was excited and my teachers seemed to be in a good mood all week. They were giving out 'minature heroes' and 'celebrations' to us nearly every lesson. I managed to only receive two pieces of homework all week (Monday to Thursday) until I walked into lesson six today which was history (Friday-last lesson-boring!!!!).

My teacher started off on a good note and we all watched an episode of 'The Simpsons' (good so far!). Then to everyones amazment the teacher switched off the TV when everyone laughed at Homer on screen. The teacher said that we weren't allowed to make so much noise as every other class was working but only one of the other six classes next to our room were working. We argued with him about the fact that he was too harsh on us and that he should turn the TV back on but then he said we were being rude to him so he gave us a sheet on the Second World War and of the battle at Dunkirk.

It wasn't that bad at first as we were just reading the sheet making ten or so notes on it. Then the teacher gave out a second sheet with the title: 'Essay-The battle at Dunkirk'. Everyone sank into their chairs and muttered under they breath that it was unfair. We tried to change the teachers mind but it was already decided. The essay was set for the first Monday back!!! Damn it!

The sheet he gave us had set questions on it, five in total, which have to be answered in the essay. The first, second and third has to take up three quarters of a page each. The fourth has to take up one and a quarter pages and the fifth has to take up two pages in it's answer! That is around five pages of writing to be done in nine days! It isn't as much as previous essays but it is over the half term break so we are supposed to have a break, not spend two of the days of it sitting in at home writing boring essays.

Schools have no idea about how much work we have to do while we are at school, let alone during the holidays. Last week on the Thursday I received six pieces of homework out of six lessons!! OK, not all of it was long pieces of work but that isn't the point. At the start of the year we are given a homework timetable which says what homework we are supposed to get every day and it says we should get around three pieces of homework a night and that we should spend two hours doing it per night, including Fridays. Do the schools think that no-one has a life and that we spend the whole of our Friday nights and weekends doing homework? I believe they do! Probably some of the people in my classes have no life anyway so it doesn't affect them so much but us people who go out and do things with our lifes have to cut down on going out just to do an essay. I'm sorry but that is just not going to happen!

The teacher said "You have a whole week to do it so I don't know what all of the fuss is about". Some of us might want to go out and play football or go see a film with our mates. Me and my mates normally do these everyday of the holidays followed by going around someones house and taking all of our ps2 games there and playing them for two to three hours. This is what I call a week off school, where you totally forget about school for a whole week and not having to care about work meeting deadlines.

Schools should be banned from giving us homework during the last week before holidays and if they do we should be able to complain without getting told off or the teacher should get fined for our inconvenience! (£25 sounds about right!). Maybe the best option would be that the teachers gives everyone in the class £10 if we do the homework! That would make everyone do it! Teachers are the reasons why so many people skip school or pretend to be ill because the teachers make lessons so boring that everyone would rather sit and watch TV all day long instead copy out of text books. I enjoy school when I have a decent teacher who makes lessons fun to go to. School is good as you get a chance to talk to and see all of your friends. I enjoy school but not when essays are set!

All boring teachers across Britain should be sacked and replaced with teachers who are on the same wavelengths as us kids and who know what we like! Bring on the cool teachers! If you agree with this then tell me what you feel about getting homework to do over school holidays.

Thanks for reading!

pring
Wed 19/02/03 at 12:13
you have 6 lessons?
I thought every one only had 5...
HA, our school broke up on thursday and i didnt get any homework, and im in year 10...
Kool!!!
Tue 18/02/03 at 20:07
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
No because the episodes we watch we all have seen over hundred times each when the teacher is off ill or has a training course or something! It is really quite annoying!
Fri 14/02/03 at 20:32
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Oh the joys of now being able to give out the homework instead of doing it mwahaha. I and the teacher i'm assistant to, were in a pretty good mood today so we only asked the children to do a one page report on everything they learned this week on the Romans. Are we nice or what? lol

You should be grateful you got to watch the simpsons anyway, i never had that in my day. *sits back in rocking chair with pipe and the paper*
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:58
Regular
"Selected"
I had two "cool" teachers at secondary school and believe me, its not good. Ok so it's a laugh going in there and sitting not doing much work as the teacher either talks about what was on TV last night or gets beaten up by an angry parent who deciedes to storm the class (as was the case in my English Class) but look at it from an educational point of view, this teacher is making you get the grades that are gonna effect how your life turns out.

I'd rather be sitting in a well paid job thinking "well i worked hard for this and I'm glad I'm getting **** loads of cash" rather then "well I'm on the dole but at least I had a laugh in Science"...
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:45
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Ha ha ha

I agree with your teacher, a week off but yet the last day you do no work, stupid school thing.

This week I have been off.... been in for two mock exams which I never really studied for. Same next week with only one exam.

Ahhhhhhhhh
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:42
Regular
"Not a Jew"
A week off? We only get a day...
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:37
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I turned up for 2 days this week, Monday and Wednesday.

That's 1 day less than average.

I have to create a large poster for AS Physics coursework, teach myself about half of a maths AS level because I've turned up to almost no lessons, and probably write an Ethics essay.

Nothing terrible.
Fri 14/02/03 at 17:32
Regular
"'what goes here?'"
My school broke up for half term today! One week off!!! Everyone was excited and my teachers seemed to be in a good mood all week. They were giving out 'minature heroes' and 'celebrations' to us nearly every lesson. I managed to only receive two pieces of homework all week (Monday to Thursday) until I walked into lesson six today which was history (Friday-last lesson-boring!!!!).

My teacher started off on a good note and we all watched an episode of 'The Simpsons' (good so far!). Then to everyones amazment the teacher switched off the TV when everyone laughed at Homer on screen. The teacher said that we weren't allowed to make so much noise as every other class was working but only one of the other six classes next to our room were working. We argued with him about the fact that he was too harsh on us and that he should turn the TV back on but then he said we were being rude to him so he gave us a sheet on the Second World War and of the battle at Dunkirk.

It wasn't that bad at first as we were just reading the sheet making ten or so notes on it. Then the teacher gave out a second sheet with the title: 'Essay-The battle at Dunkirk'. Everyone sank into their chairs and muttered under they breath that it was unfair. We tried to change the teachers mind but it was already decided. The essay was set for the first Monday back!!! Damn it!

The sheet he gave us had set questions on it, five in total, which have to be answered in the essay. The first, second and third has to take up three quarters of a page each. The fourth has to take up one and a quarter pages and the fifth has to take up two pages in it's answer! That is around five pages of writing to be done in nine days! It isn't as much as previous essays but it is over the half term break so we are supposed to have a break, not spend two of the days of it sitting in at home writing boring essays.

Schools have no idea about how much work we have to do while we are at school, let alone during the holidays. Last week on the Thursday I received six pieces of homework out of six lessons!! OK, not all of it was long pieces of work but that isn't the point. At the start of the year we are given a homework timetable which says what homework we are supposed to get every day and it says we should get around three pieces of homework a night and that we should spend two hours doing it per night, including Fridays. Do the schools think that no-one has a life and that we spend the whole of our Friday nights and weekends doing homework? I believe they do! Probably some of the people in my classes have no life anyway so it doesn't affect them so much but us people who go out and do things with our lifes have to cut down on going out just to do an essay. I'm sorry but that is just not going to happen!

The teacher said "You have a whole week to do it so I don't know what all of the fuss is about". Some of us might want to go out and play football or go see a film with our mates. Me and my mates normally do these everyday of the holidays followed by going around someones house and taking all of our ps2 games there and playing them for two to three hours. This is what I call a week off school, where you totally forget about school for a whole week and not having to care about work meeting deadlines.

Schools should be banned from giving us homework during the last week before holidays and if they do we should be able to complain without getting told off or the teacher should get fined for our inconvenience! (£25 sounds about right!). Maybe the best option would be that the teachers gives everyone in the class £10 if we do the homework! That would make everyone do it! Teachers are the reasons why so many people skip school or pretend to be ill because the teachers make lessons so boring that everyone would rather sit and watch TV all day long instead copy out of text books. I enjoy school when I have a decent teacher who makes lessons fun to go to. School is good as you get a chance to talk to and see all of your friends. I enjoy school but not when essays are set!

All boring teachers across Britain should be sacked and replaced with teachers who are on the same wavelengths as us kids and who know what we like! Bring on the cool teachers! If you agree with this then tell me what you feel about getting homework to do over school holidays.

Thanks for reading!

pring

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.