GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lockdown"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Lockdown'.
Sat 27/08/05 at 23:42
Regular
It seems to have been a bloody long wait since Black Arrow was released, and the following gaming binges of which I was proud to be a part of. I couldn't wait until the next installment. But since then I've tasted something just so much better. That being Battlefield 2.

I know many of you won't have Ninja PC's capable of playing BF2, and have no intention of forking out for upgrades either, when you have your trusty box. But my point is - has the Rainbow Six series had its day? I can't see anything in the previews that leads me to believe that it can better the concepts seen in Battlefield 2, or other games such as Mercenaries. I'm sure it'll be an excellent first person shooter, but it's like playing GTA3 after having sampled San Andreas, you'll badly miss those extra touches. Surely the traditional FPS lifespan is coming to an end, we're seeing the next evolution of the genre. From now on I want every piece of military equipment possible at my disposal, not just a rifle and a handful of grenades.

Battlefield 2 is headed to the XBOX soon anyway, so PC users will have to wipe those smirks off their faces. Views?
Sun 28/08/05 at 11:29
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Battlefield 2 has it's place. For online FPS action, I don't think it can be beaten. Some of you may prefer CS, others RvS, and others UT, but in terms of scale, quality and downright fun, Battlefield 2 is the ultimate PC game for me. I love it.

However, to say Rainbow Six has had it's day because of this can't be true. For one, Rainbow Six has been immensely popular on XBOX LIVE; as you've said in your post, there have been a good handful of us on here who have had RS3 and BA marathons until the late hours of the morning, never mind the early ones. 5, even 6 in the morning, and we're on our last round of Presidio... do we grenade the doors down the way to our right, go left and sneak up stairs, run round the back and try to flank someone? That's the thing, with Rainbow.... on LIVE with Team Survival it's never boring if you have enough players in. You might be running round a corner and BOOM, there they are, or you might run round the corner and there's no-one there - just like the 67 corners you've previously navigated. Of course, you don't know either way a lot of the time, so the suspense is there. You don't really get that with BF2. Sure you can when you're on your own and it takes you a good 20-30 seconds to capture a flag, but if you work in a squad, you'll capture the base in around 5 seconds!

Also, with a much lower limit on the Rainbow games (16) things are more personal. Sure you can have VoIP and chat to your Squad, but in Rainbow you can chat to EVERYONE. If you kill someone you might get a bit of banter or have a good laugh about things. As with nearly all LIVE games, you can chat fluently with a number of people throughout the game about anything. "Villa won, then? Baros, nice debut goal! You rate him?" You don't get this kind of - dare I say it - intimacy, or small-group proximity.

Plus, Lockdown is the 3rd game in the series (on XBOX), and I know loads of people who play RS3 still, nevermind BA! Lockdown is somewhat different from RS3 and BA, but I think that's a good thing. You can throw grenades on the fly, weapon switching is easier and you can do more faster. Hit detection is more realistic and damage is good. Plus, the P.E.C mode should keep us going to ages. Imagine your ultimate, fully kitted out LVL 40 Combat Medic Vs my LVL 38 Engineer... sure, it's down to skill, but with all the points we'll have earned, imagine how much we'll be able to customise our characters, you don't really get that kind of customisation in BF2!

Rainbow Six, I feel, had years more under it's belt. It's now a fully-fledged, recognised gaming franchise and on LIVE especially people really dig it. The XBOX 360 and PS3 might mean we can have 32-Players, bigger levels, obviously better graphics and sound, but hopefully the core-gameplay, especially online, for me, will stay the same. Sure Lockdown is a step away from the franchise's roots, but it's a positive one - it'll just take time to get used to. My LIVE Tag is Mr Jetpack - derrived from calling the Rocketmen in Red Alerts 2 'Jetpacks'. I'll be changing it soon because it runs out in late September. Add me, and when Lockdown comes out, we'll get everyone on and have a blast.

As for Rainbow, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Each title is a guaranteed million-seller, online-console gaming is becoming common-place and there really isn't anything to compete with it - makes sense to keep churning them out! The dedication and extra polish given to Lockdown is evident, and as long as Ubi don't rush Rainbow 5 i'm sure it'll be a hit.
Sat 27/08/05 at 23:42
Regular
It seems to have been a bloody long wait since Black Arrow was released, and the following gaming binges of which I was proud to be a part of. I couldn't wait until the next installment. But since then I've tasted something just so much better. That being Battlefield 2.

I know many of you won't have Ninja PC's capable of playing BF2, and have no intention of forking out for upgrades either, when you have your trusty box. But my point is - has the Rainbow Six series had its day? I can't see anything in the previews that leads me to believe that it can better the concepts seen in Battlefield 2, or other games such as Mercenaries. I'm sure it'll be an excellent first person shooter, but it's like playing GTA3 after having sampled San Andreas, you'll badly miss those extra touches. Surely the traditional FPS lifespan is coming to an end, we're seeing the next evolution of the genre. From now on I want every piece of military equipment possible at my disposal, not just a rifle and a handful of grenades.

Battlefield 2 is headed to the XBOX soon anyway, so PC users will have to wipe those smirks off their faces. Views?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.