GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DVD Experience"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/01/01 at 23:11
Regular
I have recently heard quite a few people critise the PC DVD experience saying that watching the DVD on a small screen looses all the atmosphere and that buying a PCDVD is pointless when you could get one for your TV which retains the atmosphere of the movie better. I feel this opinion is quite unfair and in many respects not particularly well thought out. I appreciate that a wide screen TV will have its advantages over a monitor as it would over a small TV. However as I have stated before a player in your PC really adds something which a video player can't do for you tv and that a PC player is considerably cheaper than a TV box. However I do not feel that the quality of viewing is so greatly effected by watching it on a monitor that it ruins a perfectly good film if you turn the lights out and sit about the right distance back I feel the quality of viewing still remains high.
Mon 08/01/01 at 23:11
Regular
I have recently heard quite a few people critise the PC DVD experience saying that watching the DVD on a small screen looses all the atmosphere and that buying a PCDVD is pointless when you could get one for your TV which retains the atmosphere of the movie better. I feel this opinion is quite unfair and in many respects not particularly well thought out. I appreciate that a wide screen TV will have its advantages over a monitor as it would over a small TV. However as I have stated before a player in your PC really adds something which a video player can't do for you tv and that a PC player is considerably cheaper than a TV box. However I do not feel that the quality of viewing is so greatly effected by watching it on a monitor that it ruins a perfectly good film if you turn the lights out and sit about the right distance back I feel the quality of viewing still remains high.
Tue 09/01/01 at 20:03
Regular
I agree
Another factor to remember is that high-resolution televisions that are capable of displaying 60Hz (60 frames per second) are far from cheap, where as a PC monitor can handle this no problem. Due to the inhanced resolution on a monitor, the picture looks crisper and clearer that most TVs.
I bought a MAXX 4D PC from Special Reserve, which as you may know comes with surround sound for an excellent price. What does this mean? Bingo, surround sound for DVD playback! If I wanted to experience these things on my TV, I would have to fork out a near-fortune.
Congratulation on winning Filmaday, by the way!
Tue 09/01/01 at 23:12
What makes you think that a PCDVD should be cheaper than a stationary DVD player? Don't just look at prices, but also at value for money. A DVDROM drive for your pc isn“t enough. You would want a graphics adapter capable of displaying the images at an acceptable quality, a processor fast enough to decode the images (or an mpeg-card), a semi-decent audio device, or for surround, a pricey one, and of course, a monitor.
The DVD doesn't add anything to a pc that a stationary player doesn't add to your tv. Except for the data-transfer capabilities. But why not just use a CDROM drive?
And as for the images displayed... Yes, they are actually decreased in quality due to the higher resolution of the pc monitor. Very few graphics adapters are capable of bi-cubic resampling at the speeds required for a smooth result.
A near-fortune, Bronze? What did you pay for your pc? A fortnight worth of your lunch money? In my homecountry of Denmark a quality stationary DVD player sells for as little as £200 with a Dolby Digital decoder. Then you need a surround reciever and a pair of speakers. Runs you about £300... £500 gets you a real good pc...
And why, oh why, would you feel the need to buy a tv capable of a 60Hz refresh rate? DVD's are recorded at a maximum of 30 frames per second. A framerate achievable by even the cheapest tv.
I have both a stationary and a DVDROM player. But I bought the DVDROM first, and haven't used it since I bought the stationary one.
Fri 12/01/01 at 18:32
DVD on a PC ?

There are a couple of fundimentals that you must remember. The first is that the idea behind DVD was for good anamorphic widescreen vision with multi-channel sound.

A PC monitor is arguably better quality than any TV screen but inherently 4:3 (as apposed to 16:9 widescreen). The costs in setting up Dolby 5.1 are also silly when compared to buying a "standalone" player.

The only reason you'd want to play DVD Video on a PC was to overcome macrovison (copy protection for duplicating video) or region protection (most PC DVD drives can be patched to overcome this).

Then there's all the time you spend booting-up the computer e.t.c...........
Tue 10/04/01 at 10:28
I think the dvd experience Is an amzing 1. No fast-forwarding or re-winding. You just have to jump to the scene you want. I dont really think it matters if u dont have a dvd player or dvd-rom. If u have a dvd rom, just buy a connecter that connects you pc to tv so u get a much better viewing experience. Either way the atmosphere is still phenomomanal and can not be beaten.
Dvd does really give that in home cinema experience. With its amazing sound and picture quality. To show hi-tec dvd is. I bought a stereophonics concert. You can change camera angles. Every camera was an amazing experience. It was just like being there. The dvd has so many features buy the time you have tested them all your fingers will be worn to the bone. The Dvd is a must. If you are a begger. Beg for the Sony in home cinema enterainment system. It includes 6 suround speakers. Buy one now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.