GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MMORPG items for real $£ legal"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/08/05 at 17:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
We've all heard about people paying money for virtual items for Everquest etc, with high level characters being sold for proper money to people that don't want to play to level-up and all that gubbins.
Illegal till now.
Well, not anymore thanks to Sony
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/26/news_6131956.html[/URL]

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Subscription based play, ok I can see that. But the paranoid me can see companies thinking "Kachinng!!" and making certain items only available to those willing to pay extra, real-world money for them.
And some people will, the same people who rush through Warcraft and then complain there's "nothing to do" instead of taking the months to explore and experience.
Mon 29/08/05 at 12:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Watch that epic mace you've been hunting for for the past 6 months get ninja'd so it can be sold for real money.

Anything 'binds on equipped' will be ninja'd if Blizzard implement this scheme too. If I could sell a mace for £100, I'd ninja it off of someone, hell yeh.
Mon 29/08/05 at 08:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> *sigh*
> You're right, it's bound to happen.
> I'm waiting for the day that companies billboards and products appear
> in online games.

[URL]http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/11/0143219&tid=187&tid=98&tid=10[/URL]

Already happened I'm afraid. Duce Billago adverts in a futuristic setting? Way to kill the mood.
Mon 29/08/05 at 08:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Goatboy wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Well, for online games where cheating affects everyone (whereas cheating in offline games affects only 1 player) Station Exchange is a bad idea. Things like this [URL]http://news.com.com/Cheaters+slam+Everquest+II+economy/2100-1043_3-5829403.html[/URL] and this [URL]http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7865[/URL] are being encouraged more and more.

Station Exchange is SOE's way of actively encouraging the trading and selling of ingame items and accounts, something that is abhorred by most roleplayers because it can destroy the whole social aspect of a game. E.g. that friend you've been hunting dragons with on a regular basis in WoW could suddenly say they don't want to know you anymore because someone new is in control, they could completely ignore you because they're now controlled by scripts, or they could go from pauper to prince via their wallet overnight and powerlevel themselves to the endgame leaving you behind.

In MMORPGs in particular, which are item driven and where endgames revolve around high level raids for rare items from incredibly rare boss monsters, competition for those drops will increase exponentially now that there is legitimate real money at stake (in EQII at least), and those less scrupulous players who are only in it for the bucks rather than the kicks are more likely to use every illegal means at their disposal to protect their income (playerkilling, automated scripts, 3rd party software, social engineering etc.).

Reports in the press of players making $70,000 by exploiting SOE's system will just encourage the hackers even more.

The main issue I have with SOEs Station Exchange is that although it cuts out the middlemen (companies like IGE and mmorpg-shop) from EQII, those middlemen will continue their sweatshop farming practices [URL]http://games.slashdot.org/games/03/11/24/0141243.shtml[/URL] in other games like WoW, FFXI, and on the non-Station Exchange enabled servers to make up the difference.

When you play games for fun, it's fun, but when you play games to earn money, it's work.
Sun 28/08/05 at 20:05
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hedfix wrote:
> Edit: What's not cool is having Airwaves product placement in
> Splinter Cell 3.

Jesus that was a pain in the ass "OH noes, terrorists have blacked out New York City, but don't worry folks, the AIRWAVES blimp managed to survive unscathed, watch as it floats overhead with it's huge neon AIRWAVES logo".

I don't mind advertising in games so long as it's placed in the background where I can ignore it easily, it's advertising that's force fed you that I have a problem with.
Sun 28/08/05 at 18:26
Regular
"Selected"
DRINK COCACOLA!
Sun 28/08/05 at 17:27
Regular
"8==="
It will be fairly controlled on the 360 I think, it'll be extra decals for cars and small things like that rather than buying a car that's better than anything else in the game.

What I like about the 360 is you can design your own content (decals, maps etc) and sell them for 99p each or something. That's quite cool.

Edit: What's not cool is having Airwaves product placement in Splinter Cell 3.
Sun 28/08/05 at 17:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
*sigh*
You're right, it's bound to happen.
I'm waiting for the day that companies billboards and products appear in online games. It's bad enough with EA pushing their other products via billboads in Burnout 3 and the clothing ranges in the Tiger Woods games (You've been offered sponsorship by INSERT BRANDNAME DESIGNER HERE, wear their stuff and earn more $ per round!!), but it's only a matter of time before you're charging out of Orgrimmar to catch a Zeppelin only to be confronted with a 50ft high neon-placard telling you all about an upcoming product.
Sun 28/08/05 at 17:16
Regular
"8==="
Goatboy wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Subscription based play,
> ok I can see that. But the paranoid me can see companies thinking
> "Kachinng!!" and making certain items only available to
> those willing to pay extra, real-world money for them.

It's going to happen on the 360 community too.
Sun 28/08/05 at 17:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
We've all heard about people paying money for virtual items for Everquest etc, with high level characters being sold for proper money to people that don't want to play to level-up and all that gubbins.
Illegal till now.
Well, not anymore thanks to Sony
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/26/news_6131956.html[/URL]

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Subscription based play, ok I can see that. But the paranoid me can see companies thinking "Kachinng!!" and making certain items only available to those willing to pay extra, real-world money for them.
And some people will, the same people who rush through Warcraft and then complain there's "nothing to do" instead of taking the months to explore and experience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.