GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ashamed - A short intersting story."

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/02/03 at 19:18
Regular
By the way - this isn't copied, I made it up.

Rory was ashamed. He wasn’t ashamed by himself, but by his father. When the war had started 2 years ago, all the men in Rory’s town had volunteered to join the army. Everyone that is, except for Rory’s father. Rory had asked his father the same question many times - “Why didn’t you join up like everyone else?” but had always received the same answer - a simple smile and wink. He was taunted quite frequently at school by his fellow classmates, who called his father a yellow belly and a coward, who was “too scared he would get hurt fighting”. Rory had at first endured the insults, then he started to fight his tormentors, but the continuing trouble he got into due to these fights was enough to put him off that method of revenge. After a while, Rory’s friends had abandoned him and he had slipped into depression. It didn’t help matters either that his town was invaded by the enemy, and while the soldiers weren’t evil, only imposing curfews and the like, they regularly made jokes at Rory’s dad and subjected him to public humiliation. His father bore it well, and this made Rory realize that his dad wasn’t a coward, and that there must be another reason why his father hadn’t joined the military.

One day, while Rory was walking home from school munching a chocolate bar, he heard a voice in the ditch beside him. Only about 200yds away from a barricade that was patrolled by enemy troops, Rory thought it may have been some of them, talking to each other. However, when the voice called to Rory, his curiosity was aroused and he clambered down to investigate.
In the ditch, behind some bracken, lay a wounded man. He had a substantial amount of blood on his clothes, which were civilian, and he seemed to have a wound in his stomach.
“Here, boy, come here,” wheezed the man. He was in his thirty’s, and Rory wondered why he wasn’t in the military.
“Are you from here boy?” the man asked.
“Yes sir I am.” Replied Rory, trying to avoid looking at the blood on the man’s clothes.
“Well, then do this message for me. Take this list of names - these people are all spies, working for the Government undercover, doing reconnaissance missions and other top secret things -” He pulled out a piece of scrumpled up paper from his pocket and held it out - “ And give it to the man at the top of the list. Can you do that for me?”
“I’m sure I can, sir.” replied Rory.
“One more thing - DO NOT let the enemy capture it - do you understand?”
“Yes, I do” Rory said.
“Good - Godspeed laddie, Godspeed.” He then leant back and closed his eyes, as if he was going to sleep.
Rory climbed back out of the ditch, got his school bag and started walking towards the barricade. When he reached it, one of the two soldiers stopped him.
“Hey kid - empty that school bag, I wanna see what’s inside.”
Rory complied and emptied it at the guards feet. The guard poked at the books, then, seeming satisfied, turned back to Rory.
“Arrite, put the stuff back in, then turn out your pockets.”
Rory started to panic - where should he put the list? It was in his pocket right now, and he felt the guards eyes on him. Then he remembered his half eaten chocolate bar, he could hide it in that! Feverishly he stuffed the piece of paper down into the wrapping - it would have to do.
“Hurry up ya lazy beggar - turn out those pockets!” shouted the guard.
Rory emptied his pockets on to the ground, a few marbles, a piece of string and his chocolate bar.
“Show me that chocolate bar, I’m feelin’ kinda’ hungry.”
Rory, now trembling, slowly picked up the bar and gave it to the guard.
“Bah! - Bloody Fruit and Nut - can’t stand the stuff!” sneered the soldier, and in his disgust threw it down on the ground.
Rory picked it up, and gathered up his books as well.
“OK, go on through.” said the guard.
Rory started to walk up the road, and hid his shaking hands in his pockets.
“Wait a minute you! Come back here!” bellowed the soldier at the barricade.

Rory was now thoroughly scared, and slowly retraced his steps back to the barricade, to see what the guard wanted.
“You forgot one of your marbles - here.” the soldier said.
Rory grabbed it, and walked quickly away, not replying or saying thank you to the guard.
When he was safely away, he got the piece of paper out of his pocket, and looked at the name at the top. His heart swelled with pride, and he then swore to bear the taunts at school in silence.
The name at the top was his father’s.

Thanks for reading, feedback would sure be appreciated.
:)
Mon 24/02/03 at 16:44
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Thanks for the comments, it's unusual to get many replies in this "desert".
Mon 24/02/03 at 08:56
Regular
Good story.
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:43
Regular
"Brrrrr."
torticollis wrote:
> It is short and interesting, but no-one at all comes into this forum.
>
>
> Unless it's to have private conversations.

...with themselves...
Sun 23/02/03 at 19:42
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Nice story - I liked it.
Tue 11/02/03 at 21:15
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
It is short and interesting, but no-one at all comes into this forum.

Unless it's to have private conversations.
Tue 11/02/03 at 19:48
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Somebody must come into this damned forum!!
Tue 11/02/03 at 19:18
Regular
"Not a Jew"
By the way - this isn't copied, I made it up.

Rory was ashamed. He wasn’t ashamed by himself, but by his father. When the war had started 2 years ago, all the men in Rory’s town had volunteered to join the army. Everyone that is, except for Rory’s father. Rory had asked his father the same question many times - “Why didn’t you join up like everyone else?” but had always received the same answer - a simple smile and wink. He was taunted quite frequently at school by his fellow classmates, who called his father a yellow belly and a coward, who was “too scared he would get hurt fighting”. Rory had at first endured the insults, then he started to fight his tormentors, but the continuing trouble he got into due to these fights was enough to put him off that method of revenge. After a while, Rory’s friends had abandoned him and he had slipped into depression. It didn’t help matters either that his town was invaded by the enemy, and while the soldiers weren’t evil, only imposing curfews and the like, they regularly made jokes at Rory’s dad and subjected him to public humiliation. His father bore it well, and this made Rory realize that his dad wasn’t a coward, and that there must be another reason why his father hadn’t joined the military.

One day, while Rory was walking home from school munching a chocolate bar, he heard a voice in the ditch beside him. Only about 200yds away from a barricade that was patrolled by enemy troops, Rory thought it may have been some of them, talking to each other. However, when the voice called to Rory, his curiosity was aroused and he clambered down to investigate.
In the ditch, behind some bracken, lay a wounded man. He had a substantial amount of blood on his clothes, which were civilian, and he seemed to have a wound in his stomach.
“Here, boy, come here,” wheezed the man. He was in his thirty’s, and Rory wondered why he wasn’t in the military.
“Are you from here boy?” the man asked.
“Yes sir I am.” Replied Rory, trying to avoid looking at the blood on the man’s clothes.
“Well, then do this message for me. Take this list of names - these people are all spies, working for the Government undercover, doing reconnaissance missions and other top secret things -” He pulled out a piece of scrumpled up paper from his pocket and held it out - “ And give it to the man at the top of the list. Can you do that for me?”
“I’m sure I can, sir.” replied Rory.
“One more thing - DO NOT let the enemy capture it - do you understand?”
“Yes, I do” Rory said.
“Good - Godspeed laddie, Godspeed.” He then leant back and closed his eyes, as if he was going to sleep.
Rory climbed back out of the ditch, got his school bag and started walking towards the barricade. When he reached it, one of the two soldiers stopped him.
“Hey kid - empty that school bag, I wanna see what’s inside.”
Rory complied and emptied it at the guards feet. The guard poked at the books, then, seeming satisfied, turned back to Rory.
“Arrite, put the stuff back in, then turn out your pockets.”
Rory started to panic - where should he put the list? It was in his pocket right now, and he felt the guards eyes on him. Then he remembered his half eaten chocolate bar, he could hide it in that! Feverishly he stuffed the piece of paper down into the wrapping - it would have to do.
“Hurry up ya lazy beggar - turn out those pockets!” shouted the guard.
Rory emptied his pockets on to the ground, a few marbles, a piece of string and his chocolate bar.
“Show me that chocolate bar, I’m feelin’ kinda’ hungry.”
Rory, now trembling, slowly picked up the bar and gave it to the guard.
“Bah! - Bloody Fruit and Nut - can’t stand the stuff!” sneered the soldier, and in his disgust threw it down on the ground.
Rory picked it up, and gathered up his books as well.
“OK, go on through.” said the guard.
Rory started to walk up the road, and hid his shaking hands in his pockets.
“Wait a minute you! Come back here!” bellowed the soldier at the barricade.

Rory was now thoroughly scared, and slowly retraced his steps back to the barricade, to see what the guard wanted.
“You forgot one of your marbles - here.” the soldier said.
Rory grabbed it, and walked quickly away, not replying or saying thank you to the guard.
When he was safely away, he got the piece of paper out of his pocket, and looked at the name at the top. His heart swelled with pride, and he then swore to bear the taunts at school in silence.
The name at the top was his father’s.

Thanks for reading, feedback would sure be appreciated.
:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.