GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Questions regarding GetDotted/Freeola web hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/01/01 at 16:47
Regular
I have a domain, registered through GetDotted, which points to my Freeola-hosted web site, and would like to know the following...

1. My main dial-up is via NTL using an 0800 number. Do I have to dial up through Freeola's 0845 number every so often in order to keep my site alive?

2. If I have any suggestions for features that I think may benefit Freeola users, where is the best place to send/post them?

Cheers for any help you can give.
Thu 21/06/01 at 17:13
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Okay... I've mentioned this on here somewhere before, but I'll try
> again...

Are there any plans to add a web-based interface to
> Freeola Classemail and/or hosted domains?

It would be cool to
> have Hotmail-style access to mail accounts, so that we could send
> and receive email from our own domains from anywhere on the
> web.

Demon have a limited Webmail interface, which allows you to
> read your mail but not reply or send new mail. NTL have recently
> introduced a much more flexible system which allows you to read and
> send e-mail direct from your domain - '[email protected]' - but
> this still has some limitations.

I have a domain registered
> through Freeola - 'mind-war.co.uk' - and I think this would be a
> major bonus for your users. Currently I have a Hotmail account set
> up to pick up mail via POP3 from my domain, but this is limited to 4
> mailboxes, and obviously I cannot send mail from my domain. Direct
> access to all of my mailboxes, with the ability to send and reply to
> mail, would be fantastic.

Any news/views on this?

For a PHP script that will let you send e-mail from any account (although you can't read your mail using it - you'll have to stick with the webmail you have to do that) then try a script i had a go at making at www.allhype.co.uk/hypemail/
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:58
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
hmm it
> won't let me signup for an email account.
it has an option when you
> sign up to put in a domain name hosted with them, but i dont have a
> domain hosted with them, and so it won't let me signup.
well, i
> -think- thats why it won't let me signup.
either that or i'm being
> dumb, lol

sorry... my mistake... i should have checked properly before... i have a domain hosted with them, so i can use it with anything... i didn't recall having to have a hosted domain to register.. sorry.

Brio.
Thu 31/05/01 at 17:44
Brio wrote:
If you want to get your e-mail at a
> web-based account, and send via your domain try the following (it
> works for me!)

1. Register an e-mail account for FREE at
> mail.uk2.net
you'll get a [email protected] account.

hmm it won't let me signup for an email account.
it has an option when you sign up to put in a domain name hosted with them, but i dont have a domain hosted with them, and so it won't let me signup.
well, i -think- thats why it won't let me signup.
either that or i'm being dumb, lol
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:58
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
It would be cool to
> have Hotmail-style access to mail accounts, so that we could send
> and receive email from our own domains from anywhere on the
> web.

If you want to get your e-mail at a web-based account, and send via your domain try the following (it works for me!)

1. Register an e-mail account for FREE at mail.uk2.net
you'll get a [email protected] account.

2. Log in to your freeola.com control pannel (freeola.com/control) and forward whichever account(s) you'd like to the uk2.net address (yourname.uk2.net).

3. Log into your uk2.net account and in the settings change your outgoing mail adress to [email protected].

Now all your mail goes to a webbased account, and your replies are with your domain name.

Hope this helps someone...

Brio
Tue 08/05/01 at 20:21
AFAIK, you only have to dial in to send mail and upload files to your space.

As for the web mail thingy, make your own, using the .mail folder and the 'sendmail' or PHP mailing thingy. I'm planning on doing one. If I get it done, I'll note it in here.

Rikki
Fri 04/05/01 at 15:27
I was told that there are no plans to offer this service on Freeola.
Fri 04/05/01 at 09:57
"High polygon count"
Okay... I've mentioned this on here somewhere before, but I'll try again...

Are there any plans to add a web-based interface to Freeola Classemail and/or hosted domains?

It would be cool to have Hotmail-style access to mail accounts, so that we could send and receive email from our own domains from anywhere on the web.

Demon have a limited Webmail interface, which allows you to read your mail but not reply or send new mail. NTL have recently introduced a much more flexible system which allows you to read and send e-mail direct from your domain - '[email protected]' - but this still has some limitations.

I have a domain registered through Freeola - 'mind-war.co.uk' - and I think this would be a major bonus for your users. Currently I have a Hotmail account set up to pick up mail via POP3 from my domain, but this is limited to 4 mailboxes, and obviously I cannot send mail from my domain. Direct access to all of my mailboxes, with the ability to send and reply to mail, would be fantastic.

Any news/views on this?
Fri 27/04/01 at 14:00
If you have any suggestions please post them in here.
Fri 27/04/01 at 13:58
Yes, you will need to connect at least once a month to keep the data base records updated and show that the accounts is active otherwise it will be deleted if there is no activity over a 90 day period.
Mon 08/01/01 at 16:47
"High polygon count"
I have a domain, registered through GetDotted, which points to my Freeola-hosted web site, and would like to know the following...

1. My main dial-up is via NTL using an 0800 number. Do I have to dial up through Freeola's 0845 number every so often in order to keep my site alive?

2. If I have any suggestions for features that I think may benefit Freeola users, where is the best place to send/post them?

Cheers for any help you can give.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.