GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A broad vocabulary"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/02/03 at 12:10
Regular
This thread has been on the cards for some time, so here it comes.

Of late, there has been a rapidly growing number of people both on these forums and beyond that seem to have a problem with the way I type and the way I talk. This problem, to anyone reading this who has never read anything from me before, is not what you might expect people to pick on. You see, I don't indulge in lazy text talk, or fill out sentences using backwardly typed expletives to avoid swearfilters. No, the problem is, to me at least, far more puzzling. You see, I use good, solid english words. The type of words most people learn at school, or read in books, at the very least, I use words 95% of which 99% of people should understand, if not from experience then through context.

However, some people seem to have developed a problem with my use of such words. You need only see my thread regarding the use of the word "incompatible", which is an everyday word mind, to see what I'm talking about here.

Other than "incompatible", another word that some people seem to get irritated at me for using is "peon". Now, peon may not be an everyday word, to some at least, and I have to admit that I myself didn't come across during my school years. But a lot of other people did. Anybody who played Warcraft in the early 90's would have come across the word dozens of times, and it was playing Warcraft II in the late 90's that I eventually came across it myself. Having played the game extensively, the idea of being a peon became comical, as they were essentially ignorant peasants forced to work by your command, and they spoke in downtrodden and stupid tones.

To this day, I've never bothered to look up the definition of the word, but I generally know what it means.

The point there is, peon is a gamer's word. This is a gamer's forum. Why would gamers object to the use of a word which was a part of gaming history? Beats me to be honest. The word is a joke, and is almost always said as a joke. Perhaps people have just lost their sense of humour in regards to language, and can only find comic relief watching the misfortune of others.

But anyway, my point is that the vast majority of the language I use is understandable by again the vast majority of users on these forums. Sure, a few words will pop up that some people might not have come across before, but what's the problem with that? They say you learn something new everyday, but in my experience most people do not. The don't learn something new everyday, because they don't try to teach themselves anything. To those people who say to me that I use words they fail to comprehend or even recognise, I say this:

www.dictionary.com

It'll only take a few moments, and you'll be all the wiser for it. You can genuinely claim that you have learnt something that day, perhaps even something you may have cause to use yourself sometime in your future.

If you can't make the effort to apprise yourself of something which, in my opinion, you should probably already know, then, to be quite frank, your opinion already means nothing to me and ranting to me about your lack of terminological flexibility is not only not going to make me change, no, simplify the language I use, but is actually quite likely to make me step up my vocabulary to use what even *I* would term excessively and unnecessarily complicated language. Which is not to say I'm holding back now; I write as I feel comfortable writing - which is the main reason I refuse to change.

Do I make myself feel clever when I use big words? Many of you would likely say that I think I do, but that is not correct. To me, the english language is there to be used. Far too many of you seem to struggle to describe things without resorting to expletives and/or text talking or some other rubbish.

Language isn't clever. Which is why most of us can actually speak it, the majority can write it, but strangely, disparate few actually know how to use it.

Complain all you want when "big" words come along, but at the end of the day, we're all (mostly) english in here, and whether you have pride in that or not, the language is part and parcel of the nationality, and I will not be made to feel like villain for using it.

Have a nice day.
Fri 14/02/03 at 12:55
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
As all you foreign language speakers probably know, a lot of German words are from other languages.

Eg. Bungalow is from SA (I think), Haus is from Ebglish and Latin, and there's loads more.

Back in the Second World War, Hitler tried to ban all foreign words in the German language - only pure German words from centuries ago were allowed to remain.

Now, this was a problem, as hundreds of thousand of words in the language are derived from Latin, French, English, Russian, South African and a very few from Spanish.

Basically, he would've been inventing his own language - quite impossible, as a whole nation would've had to learn a new language, and learn it of by heart. If they didn't, they couldn't speak in fear of being heard by a German officer, and, well, shot.

It would be like us all of a sudden ceasing to speak English, and learn Russian or something.

It didn't last long, and it was proposed near the end of the war anyway, so there wasn't much time for it to develop.

So, I've kinda gone completely off topic, but what the hey
Fri 14/02/03 at 12:10
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Over thousands of years Anglo-saxon english has absorbed many other languages including danish,french,latin,etc.
Only about 1% of our language today is from the original anglo-saxon.
You may be interested to know that this 1% is made up of the most important and central words in our language. Wife, Sex, Home, Battle etc.
Whatever the illiterates throw at us we will always have our true english core.

c58
Wed 12/02/03 at 22:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
There is a very long word that ive forgotten how to spell, but it means you have a fear of glass vessels.
Wed 12/02/03 at 22:18
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Sesquipedalian is a word I never knew without consulting the dictionary- coincidentally, it means "Long word".
Wed 12/02/03 at 17:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Phallic is a great word.
The fact that it even exists is amusing.
Wed 12/02/03 at 16:43
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Phallic > Phallus
Wed 12/02/03 at 16:39
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
There's a difference between being using descriptive words and being unnecessarily verbose.

I like to do both, depending on mood. There's a certain anally-retentive satisfaction in waxing lyrical.

See?
Wed 12/02/03 at 12:06
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Azul²°°³ wrote:

> Simple example, and easy word, but it's all I can think of at the
> mo...
>
> "She was a widow, always attired in black."

I get tired when I'm in black too, maybe it's because I get depressed when I think of oblivion.
Wed 12/02/03 at 09:45
"Darkness, always"
the irony.
Wed 12/02/03 at 09:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
>I like to use the word 'phallas' becuase no-one

You spelt it wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.