GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD the way forward?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/01/01 at 22:27
Regular
DVD represents a new step in the movie sector. And could quite possibly be the way forward. DVDs have many endearing fetures eg they are light compact, can be watched on both TV or computer and this gives them an advantage over videos. However I think that DVD's fatal flaw is its inability to record. I know DVD was invented to try and enhance the Movie experience but in order for the market to expand it haas to be greatly superior to the product it is replacing. Video Recorders can as their name suggests record and this is a facility that most of video owners use regularly and it can also play videos and allow you to watch films at an acceptable quality. However when considering buying a DVD player many people take the view "can I really justify spending several hundred pounds on a DVD player which is by no means greatly superior to my video recorder and cannot perform some of its functions" besides DVDs are generally more expensive than videos and this is an added cost in the long term. I personally have a DVD player on my computer and I beleive that it is a great addition to my PC as it actually improves the capabilities of my PC however I could not really buy one for my TV as I would not really think of it as much of an improvement over my video.
Sun 07/01/01 at 22:27
Regular
DVD represents a new step in the movie sector. And could quite possibly be the way forward. DVDs have many endearing fetures eg they are light compact, can be watched on both TV or computer and this gives them an advantage over videos. However I think that DVD's fatal flaw is its inability to record. I know DVD was invented to try and enhance the Movie experience but in order for the market to expand it haas to be greatly superior to the product it is replacing. Video Recorders can as their name suggests record and this is a facility that most of video owners use regularly and it can also play videos and allow you to watch films at an acceptable quality. However when considering buying a DVD player many people take the view "can I really justify spending several hundred pounds on a DVD player which is by no means greatly superior to my video recorder and cannot perform some of its functions" besides DVDs are generally more expensive than videos and this is an added cost in the long term. I personally have a DVD player on my computer and I beleive that it is a great addition to my PC as it actually improves the capabilities of my PC however I could not really buy one for my TV as I would not really think of it as much of an improvement over my video.
Mon 08/01/01 at 00:23
Actually as with CDR and CDRW media there is also DVDR and DVDRW media. Pioneer are the leaders in this technology, so soon in the next 2 - 3 years we will see Home DVD players that can record as with VHS but with DVD quality.
Pioneer Have already released devices for PCs to use the expensive DVDrecordable media, but its only a matter of time before stand alone recorders are commonplace.
Mon 08/01/01 at 15:58
Regular
I don't reckon DVD's are the way forward because people are already complaining about them and are giving up on them. When you look at how long video cassettes have lasted, does anyone think that DVD's are the way forward.
Mon 08/01/01 at 22:55
Regular
YEs but DVD recorders are not widely available and I have heard they are extremely expensive and players cost enough anyway. Really the advance in DVD isn't really happening quick enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.