GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My childhood"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/02/03 at 23:32
Regular
ive been reading some stories ive decided to compare the ways childhood is used in them all as part of some english practise for my as levels

Compare the ways the theme of childhood
Used In 4 short stories.

“Snow drops”, “Paula browns new snow suit”,”chemistry” and “flight”, all of which are short stories related to the experiences of childhood, becoming more mature, growing up and learning the facts of life that as a child you do not get told or learn. The stories relate to watching close relatives grow up with you and learning what they are like when you are older. The stories contain features of despite still growing up still being treated as if the characters are still young. Reading the four short stories gives the good and positive points of childhood, and the bad and negative of childhood.
Positive and good points of childhood are shown in "Paula browns new snow suit" "snowdrops" "chemistry” and "Flight"
In "Paula browns new snow suit" Paula receives a new snow suit and when children receive something new it’s always a good thing for them. They fell like they’re flying high, above everyone else; this is how Paula feels in her story, she is already stuck up as said in the story “nobody on our block really liked her because she was bossy and stuck up” this story shows the good points as something that turns in to a problem.
In "Flight" the grand daughter gets a new male friend, this makes her happy and excited. This would make her feel grown up in life but she would have to let go of her other man in her life to receive happiness from her boyfriend. This relates to "chemistry" were the boys grand father is annoyed and on purpose he provokes Ralph by eating slowly.
In "Snowdrops" the child gets his very own drawing put up on the wall, were everyone can see it, this makes him feel higher and brighter than everyone else in the class. This positive point is linked to "Paula browns new snow suit." When Paula gets a brand new snow suit she feels higher than everyone, much bigger and better like she has the best thing of all. As this quote shows it was her favourite present “Paula’s favourite present was a new snow suit” also in "snowdrops" when the children are told they are going to see the snowdrops they are filled with light because they don’t know what to expect. They are going in to a place where they’re not allowed to normally go.
In "Chemistry" the boy is filled with delight. When he plays with his boat sailing it back and forth to his grandfather.
The negative and bad points of childhood are shown in all of the short stories. "Chemistry" and "Flight" both contain bad experiences linked to grandparents. "Flight" contains a bad experience about a grandparent who is worried about her grand daughter having a male friend, he is jealous , worried and upset that he could be losing her; he gets jealous at the fact that his granddaughter has found a male who is more important to her than her grandfather, he ends up saying things like:
“Think you can leave home now, hey?”
“Rubbish, Impudent little bit of rubbish”

“Chemistry" contains a bad experience about how the writer saw his grandfather when he was alive during childhood. The writer explains what he did with his grandfather as a child, and all the bad experiences such as when his boat never reached the other end of the pond and sank. He talks about how he still sees his grandfather at the other end of the pond. “As I looked to the centre where my launch sank, then up again to the far side, that I saw him”
"Paula browns new snow suit" and "snowdrops" both contain bad experiences related to being upset. In "Paula browns new snow suit" she is upset and annoyed when she is blamed for ruining her snow suit. “I threw my self on my bed and lay there, dry-eyed and burning” In "Snowdrops" Miss Webster begins to cry about the funeral, as a child when you see one crying you’re too confused to figure out why. In the story she tries to stand still and hold on strong. She resembles the snowdrops, as snowdrops no matter how blown about they’re they always relate back to one position.
The relationship between the characters in story is related in different ways. In "Paula browns new snow suit" no one believes her not even her own uncle he says “he sighed and got up to go away “the relation ship between the two does not seem that strong.
But in "snowdrops" the relation ship is between the boy and Miss Webster, the relationship is not a strong relation ship but the boy admires her as she is going to show the class and him, the snowdrops , he says this in excitement in the morning “ Miss Webster is going to show us the snowdrops today”
In "chemistry" the relationship is between the boy and his grand dad. He cares for his granddad; he mentions how he used to wait for his grand father to be in the house before falling asleep every night. And at the end of the story he mentions how he still sees his granddad pushing the boat across the pond
In "Flight" the relationship is between a Girl her grand father and her boyfriend. Her grandfather is jealous that the girl has found someone else in her life that is more important to her. He does not want to let her go as she is the last one of the children. He says the following quote, the quote sounds selfish but caring at the same time “She’s the last he mourned cant we keep her a bit longer” he also shows that he is worried and says “she’ll marry him , I’m telling you, she’ll be marrying him next.” But he is right to think this as near the end the writer says “their grown up seriousness shut him out.” in his anger and jealousy he takes it out on shows his moody side to someone else.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sat 08/02/03 at 23:32
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
ive been reading some stories ive decided to compare the ways childhood is used in them all as part of some english practise for my as levels

Compare the ways the theme of childhood
Used In 4 short stories.

“Snow drops”, “Paula browns new snow suit”,”chemistry” and “flight”, all of which are short stories related to the experiences of childhood, becoming more mature, growing up and learning the facts of life that as a child you do not get told or learn. The stories relate to watching close relatives grow up with you and learning what they are like when you are older. The stories contain features of despite still growing up still being treated as if the characters are still young. Reading the four short stories gives the good and positive points of childhood, and the bad and negative of childhood.
Positive and good points of childhood are shown in "Paula browns new snow suit" "snowdrops" "chemistry” and "Flight"
In "Paula browns new snow suit" Paula receives a new snow suit and when children receive something new it’s always a good thing for them. They fell like they’re flying high, above everyone else; this is how Paula feels in her story, she is already stuck up as said in the story “nobody on our block really liked her because she was bossy and stuck up” this story shows the good points as something that turns in to a problem.
In "Flight" the grand daughter gets a new male friend, this makes her happy and excited. This would make her feel grown up in life but she would have to let go of her other man in her life to receive happiness from her boyfriend. This relates to "chemistry" were the boys grand father is annoyed and on purpose he provokes Ralph by eating slowly.
In "Snowdrops" the child gets his very own drawing put up on the wall, were everyone can see it, this makes him feel higher and brighter than everyone else in the class. This positive point is linked to "Paula browns new snow suit." When Paula gets a brand new snow suit she feels higher than everyone, much bigger and better like she has the best thing of all. As this quote shows it was her favourite present “Paula’s favourite present was a new snow suit” also in "snowdrops" when the children are told they are going to see the snowdrops they are filled with light because they don’t know what to expect. They are going in to a place where they’re not allowed to normally go.
In "Chemistry" the boy is filled with delight. When he plays with his boat sailing it back and forth to his grandfather.
The negative and bad points of childhood are shown in all of the short stories. "Chemistry" and "Flight" both contain bad experiences linked to grandparents. "Flight" contains a bad experience about a grandparent who is worried about her grand daughter having a male friend, he is jealous , worried and upset that he could be losing her; he gets jealous at the fact that his granddaughter has found a male who is more important to her than her grandfather, he ends up saying things like:
“Think you can leave home now, hey?”
“Rubbish, Impudent little bit of rubbish”

“Chemistry" contains a bad experience about how the writer saw his grandfather when he was alive during childhood. The writer explains what he did with his grandfather as a child, and all the bad experiences such as when his boat never reached the other end of the pond and sank. He talks about how he still sees his grandfather at the other end of the pond. “As I looked to the centre where my launch sank, then up again to the far side, that I saw him”
"Paula browns new snow suit" and "snowdrops" both contain bad experiences related to being upset. In "Paula browns new snow suit" she is upset and annoyed when she is blamed for ruining her snow suit. “I threw my self on my bed and lay there, dry-eyed and burning” In "Snowdrops" Miss Webster begins to cry about the funeral, as a child when you see one crying you’re too confused to figure out why. In the story she tries to stand still and hold on strong. She resembles the snowdrops, as snowdrops no matter how blown about they’re they always relate back to one position.
The relationship between the characters in story is related in different ways. In "Paula browns new snow suit" no one believes her not even her own uncle he says “he sighed and got up to go away “the relation ship between the two does not seem that strong.
But in "snowdrops" the relation ship is between the boy and Miss Webster, the relationship is not a strong relation ship but the boy admires her as she is going to show the class and him, the snowdrops , he says this in excitement in the morning “ Miss Webster is going to show us the snowdrops today”
In "chemistry" the relationship is between the boy and his grand dad. He cares for his granddad; he mentions how he used to wait for his grand father to be in the house before falling asleep every night. And at the end of the story he mentions how he still sees his granddad pushing the boat across the pond
In "Flight" the relationship is between a Girl her grand father and her boyfriend. Her grandfather is jealous that the girl has found someone else in her life that is more important to her. He does not want to let her go as she is the last one of the children. He says the following quote, the quote sounds selfish but caring at the same time “She’s the last he mourned cant we keep her a bit longer” he also shows that he is worried and says “she’ll marry him , I’m telling you, she’ll be marrying him next.” But he is right to think this as near the end the writer says “their grown up seriousness shut him out.” in his anger and jealousy he takes it out on shows his moody side to someone else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.