GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeware!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/02/03 at 15:32
Regular
Like the topic? Then possibly your on a budget or hate the fact that programmers charge an arm and a leg for there developements in a get rich quick scheme. If so and you dont like spending lots of money add your fav freeware programs for all to see.

I'll kick off first

FTPexplorer (FTP program very easy to use and totally free)

Adaware (free spyware detector scrubs most if not all nasty cookies and foul programs and very good for preinstal of nvidia graphics drivers)

3dMark2001SE (shows you exactly how l337 your system really is in comparison to everyother joe's)

Winamp 3 (a free alternative to media player)

DivX (a video codec allowing you to view highly compressed video files)

Xvid (a video codec)

Zonealarm (a free firewall its ok and self configuring)

Equipe your PC for free and add anything you feel to the list

Although these are freeware its much simpler to become familier with a type of program before purchasing a full version and having trouble with it.

GL with the google search :P
Sat 08/02/03 at 23:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But it's just not a good music player. It uses far too many resources, it crashes (even the latest), its UI is extremely unresponsive and has more bugs than Starship Troopers. Also, what happened to j? How can they remove the single most useful feature in the whole damn thing?!

Retards.
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:59
Regular
""
But WinAmp3 is XML based now. It rocks!! Export your playlist and it is saved as XML. I then use either PHP or XSL to format it nicely and display in on my website.

Nice move Winamp!
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
There are a few free programs I like...

GhostScript and Ghostviewer are both handy free .pdf reading tools from Adobe

Winamp, obviously - 2.81 for me also.

Trillian - an all-purpose chat client. Essentially it's MSN, IRC and ICQ etc all in one program. Not incredibly user-friendly, but quite convenient.

Ad-aware. Gets rid of spyware, apparently. Not that I'd honestly be able to tell the difference, truth be told.

Looking over the rest of my applications it quickly dawns on me that most weren't intended as freeware, so I'll not dwell on that point.

Now for a rant on antivirus software :)

I don't bother having an Antivirus program running, it seems pretty much a waste of time as far as I can see. Not only will the damn thing pop up every time I try to open an email, it'll also scan every single file I open on my computer, and frequently prompt me to make backups and so forth. Irritating.

In order to actually get a virus in the first place, you have to be either negligent or ignorant. 90% of the viruses you do get can be removed with no trouble whatsoever, either.

I've had 24/7 net access for around two and a half years now. I've visited the most shady regions, and downloaded some of the most suspect files. I have run programs that were suspicious, just to see what they did. I've even opened blatantly hostile email attachments for those same reasons.

I have only ONCE had any serious virus infect my computer. That was a git, because I had to boot into DOS to delete the damn thing, and then replace a couple of corrupted system files. I've had several other viruses infect my computer, sometimes for weeks before I run s scan. No noticable effects whatsoever. Most of them are far too sconcerned with replicating thmselves and causing panic that they don't *acutally* really do anything. It's all scaremongering.

These days I download a different shareware antivirus program every couple of months, run a scan, and uninstall it again. It really doesn't seem worth doing more than that.
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I prefer zplayer for video. WA3's video and mp3 playing functionality is very poor. WA2.81 kicks its rectum.

As for ZoneAlarm, mate, all firewalls are a waste of time :)
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:20
Winamp 3 is a cheap and cheerful video player and the original only plays mp3's there are lots more free players out there this was just an example.

Zone alarm is the only freeware port monitoring software I'm fully aware of but yes it is pretty cheesey. Hence this thread.
Sat 08/02/03 at 18:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SmartFTP is a better client, and I'd recommend Winamp 2.81 over WA 3 anyday.

ZoneAlarm is a waste of time.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:37
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Ones I use most are
adaware
smartFTP
winamp3
mkw audio compression
hj split
divx
and the adobe acrobat reader thing
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:33
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
AVG - Anti Virus software available from www.grisoft.com free to home users instead of paying Norton extortionate fees.

Very good program as well.
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:56
Why? Its free and the best guage avaliable for sytem performance graphics wise what would you use?
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:39
Regular
I think 3dmark is a waste of time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.