GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'home cinema'"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/01/01 at 20:55
Regular
I think it's obvious that 'Home Cinema' has been greatly enhanced by the introduction of DVD as a film format, but I think it's a bad idea to promote PC's as a viable platform for watching DVD's on.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea for PC's to have DVD instead of CD drives (for DVD-ROM's), but from my experiences it's very un-enjoyable watching a DVD movie on my computer. This may just be because of my DVD software or PC, but even so, it's just not what film is all about. While VHS is no compromise to watching on the big screen in a cinema, watching DVD's on a computer is even worse than VHS as far as I'm concerned.

I was watching The Beach on my PC the other night, and I had to pull my sofa half-way across the room, turn the lights off and cover my desk to hide all the lights on my PC just to be able to watch it in any comfort. And when I finally started it, I had to fumble around with the controls and restart my computer mid-film as my computer crashed. That's not how I want to watch films.

This is why I've decided to invest in a proper DVD player (from Special Reserve in fact) for my TV which, although being smaller than my monitor, is a much better option (I hope). I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone is happy watching DVD's on their computer and what techniques you have for 'enhancing the experience'.

Stephen Cole.
Sun 07/01/01 at 20:55
Regular
I think it's obvious that 'Home Cinema' has been greatly enhanced by the introduction of DVD as a film format, but I think it's a bad idea to promote PC's as a viable platform for watching DVD's on.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea for PC's to have DVD instead of CD drives (for DVD-ROM's), but from my experiences it's very un-enjoyable watching a DVD movie on my computer. This may just be because of my DVD software or PC, but even so, it's just not what film is all about. While VHS is no compromise to watching on the big screen in a cinema, watching DVD's on a computer is even worse than VHS as far as I'm concerned.

I was watching The Beach on my PC the other night, and I had to pull my sofa half-way across the room, turn the lights off and cover my desk to hide all the lights on my PC just to be able to watch it in any comfort. And when I finally started it, I had to fumble around with the controls and restart my computer mid-film as my computer crashed. That's not how I want to watch films.

This is why I've decided to invest in a proper DVD player (from Special Reserve in fact) for my TV which, although being smaller than my monitor, is a much better option (I hope). I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone is happy watching DVD's on their computer and what techniques you have for 'enhancing the experience'.

Stephen Cole.
Mon 08/01/01 at 00:33
Many PC DVD cards have suitable outputs that allow you to connect your PCs DVD player to your normal TV, as do many Videocards. You could have tried that! Other than that get a new expensive large flatscreen monitor, and some good speakers sound always enhances a movie.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.