GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOCA 2 (PSP) Impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Toca 2: Touring Cars'.
Thu 01/09/05 at 20:03
Regular
I'm not one for reviewing games or anything, but at the request of Spikecast, here are my impressions on the above game...

If you've played the console versions of TOCA 2, you'll know exactly where you are - everything is the same. You start your career already in a race, get coached by that Scottish bloke and continue on to choose various competitions and go forth to win them.

Visually, it's very impressive - certainly on a par with it's PS2 cousin. Reflections are in there, particle effects, visual body damage etc. I haven't tested for parts that break off the car, but I'm sure they will feature too. As good as it looks, you can tell it's working hard. The framerate, while not juddery, isn't as smooth as something like Ridge Racer or Wipeout. It's not too noticeable though, and the game is still very enjoyable visually.

Sound? Well, there's the in-game soundtrack playing out in the back, you have clear speech from the Scottish bloke, coaching/criticising you mid-race (usually takes a dig at you just before a tough corner, making you screw up!). Then there are the sound effects - everything you'd expect is in there, from squealing tyres to shattering bumpers and glass.

Probably the coolest aspect of TOCA 2's Audio solution is the inclusion of Custom Soundtracks - this is a first on handhelds, and it's on a UK launch title that isn't out anywhere else yet - result! You do need to download a patch of sorts from the Codemasters website, but it's great - your own track pumping out over a console-quality racer in your palm! Not sure if this feature supports Atrac3Plus, although I should think it does, seeing as the PSP itself now does.

Onto the multiplayer - now, I can't say much on this as I don't know anyone else with the game, but I can confirm it's Ad-Hoc only, no Internet Infrastructure. It is 12 player though, which is very impressive for a handheld launch title!

Well, I hope that was enough - any questions, fire away. I'll pick them up at work in the morning, booting WoW up now :P
Thu 22/09/05 at 23:35
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
You see, you wouldn't get this from Nintendo......

... You just wouldn't get anything.
Thu 22/09/05 at 23:16
Regular
"Touched!"
lcarus wrote:
> You should get a refund if poss, then buy from a different place. Most
> probable that the batch received was faulty.

I have been getting these from Sony though :( Not argos.
Thu 22/09/05 at 23:12
Regular
"Touched!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> What the HELL are you doing with them?!?!?

I have VERY bad luck. Story so far..

Launch day machine had Dead pixel + faulty D-Pad (Pressing up hardly ever worked)

Second replacement from Sony had tons of dust behind screen and a huge hairline like line of dead pixels.

Third one had 10 dead pixels on the screen.

4th one I now have has a faulty sqaure button and 1 dead white pixel.

I hate Sony and myself for being so unlucky :(
Thu 22/09/05 at 23:02
You should get a refund if poss, then buy from a different place. Most probable that the batch received was faulty.
Thu 22/09/05 at 23:00
"High polygon count"
What the HELL are you doing with them?!?!?
Thu 22/09/05 at 18:46
Regular
"Touched!"
What is it with me and PSP's? I'm onto my 4th now and my square button has gone balls up. I'm getting my 5th replacement on monday now..Toca 2 is barely playable but breaking is a pain. Quite good so far but graphically I expected better. Still retails the feel of the console versions very well though.
Thu 22/09/05 at 18:28
Agreed with all that - TOCA is one of the best games out there, at least for me anyway. It was always a niche market in terms of racing games for the home console market, but hopefully Codies should get their rewards for it 2nd time round.
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:49
"High polygon count"
Nope. I downloaded the patch, but haven't bothered installing it.

When I'm playing racers, I prefer to have just the SFX and always turn the music off, so there's not much point! :-)
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:46
Regular
"Touched!"
Tried the custom soundtracks out yet?
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:35
"High polygon count"
It's a great game. I've never bothered with them on the PS2, but it's great fun on the PSP.

I haven't played it for a while now, since I got the other 4 games... but I really must get back to it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.