GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What to choose,PC or Console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/01/01 at 04:30
Regular
I've been playing computer games for 17 years now. I started with a ZX Spectrum and have owned every console up to the Dreamcast. I do enjoy playing my Dreamcast with games such as Shenmue, MSR and Quake III but I've always wondered if I should buy a PC. My older brother recently bought one and I whilst visiting over Christmas he let me have a go on it, lets just say I was at his house for 6 hours and was on the PC for five of those hours. I was gobsmacked to say the least at the quality of the graphics and the games available for the PC. I played Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Half Life, Unreal Tornament and Deus Ex which I have to admit is one of the best games I've ever played. You would think by reading this I have made my decision already but I have a few doubts. I have heard that PC's require a lot of matainence and that you are always having to upgrade. I'll probably end up buying one in the end because in my mind the pro's outweigh the con's. I've asked my friends this Question and I've had a mixed response, I even caused a two hour debate on whether PC's are better than Consoles. On that topic I haven't made my mind up yet, but one thing I can say is that I'm a gamer always have been and always will be!
Sun 07/01/01 at 11:44
Regular
"Excommunicated"
PC is the best!
Sun 07/01/01 at 10:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
After the PSX I went to PC. There's plenty of PSX games available in PC format for a start, it's just a matter of getting used to the extra control options that the PC gives you via keyboard, mouse, joystick, wheel and so on.

The PC gives you many more options than a console would, more save space for games (get a huge hard disk if games is what you are going to use a PC for is my main advice). Minumum specs:

500 MHz
128Mb RAM
20 Gb HDD
DVD-Rom/CD x6/x8
PIII Pentium
Voodoo 3dFX Graphics Card or better
Decent sound card

I DO miss the PSX, it is a lot easier just to pop in a disc and play on a console than a PC, but the PC gives you so much more.

So get a PC. Then, with any spare cash, get a PS2 and an X-Box.
Sun 07/01/01 at 09:25
Regular
Get A PC.By The Way,what computer are u posting on now then?There are tons of great games,you mentioned some.I've had my PC 12 months and I've never had to upgrade.My CD writer and DVD drive were mucked up,so I called out Tiny and they fixed if for free!I also get a better speed CD-RW drive and DVD drive.Don't worry about upgrades.Get a computer with 600mhz
128mb of ram
20gb harddrive
a graphics card
pentiumm 3
my computer runs on that and I can play all the games fine except for Dues Ex.My friend is selling his graphics crad and he will put it in for us so I can play Dues Ex.It also has a TV out card,so I can record the PC.I have 25 games and only 2 overall dont play.

Shaneo
Sun 07/01/01 at 04:30
Regular
I've been playing computer games for 17 years now. I started with a ZX Spectrum and have owned every console up to the Dreamcast. I do enjoy playing my Dreamcast with games such as Shenmue, MSR and Quake III but I've always wondered if I should buy a PC. My older brother recently bought one and I whilst visiting over Christmas he let me have a go on it, lets just say I was at his house for 6 hours and was on the PC for five of those hours. I was gobsmacked to say the least at the quality of the graphics and the games available for the PC. I played Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Half Life, Unreal Tornament and Deus Ex which I have to admit is one of the best games I've ever played. You would think by reading this I have made my decision already but I have a few doubts. I have heard that PC's require a lot of matainence and that you are always having to upgrade. I'll probably end up buying one in the end because in my mind the pro's outweigh the con's. I've asked my friends this Question and I've had a mixed response, I even caused a two hour debate on whether PC's are better than Consoles. On that topic I haven't made my mind up yet, but one thing I can say is that I'm a gamer always have been and always will be!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.