GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SAMBADEAMIGO!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/01/01 at 22:20
Regular
(Please don't have a go at me - my review is yet again too long to put in the review section. Come on Sr make it 8500 characters!!)

Well here you are!

Samba De Amigo!

Please note: before reading this, take into consideration that I have ‘normal’ family and friends and am not insane at all. Ahem…

Samba de Amigo is the ultimate party game, and is quite possibly the only game that everyone will want to play – and I mean everyone!
The way Sonic Team have created the game is beyond me, and how they managed to come up with such a superb idea, and make it into a playable, and enjoyable dancing, and maraca shaking mania!

The game is something special, something really quite extraordinary and is definitely worth the price you pay for it – no questions asked! At £79.99 RRP it is probably the most expensive game on the market, and certainly on Dreamcast, but be careful because I have seen places like GAME selling it for £99.99, which is not the RRP. I was lucky enough to purchase mine for the miniscule amount of just £61.49 from an online store, but they have since put the price up!

Samba De Amigo arrived in the morning in a very long intriguing corrugated cardboard box (70cms approx!), but I knew that this must be the game. Carefully opening the box, I found the Samba box, which is incredibly fun and stylish in a ‘happy Mexican’ colours! Opening this kind of carry case I was quite surprised to find very well designed interior packaging bearing the delights that were two fantastically authentic red maracas (although they’re attached via wires to the Dance mat), the actually dance mat neatly folded up, the plastic control centre which connects the Dance mat and the controllers to the Dreamcast control port. The game of course, is included!

Sega initially had doubts as to whether they should release Samba de Amigo in foreign territories than Japan, but thankfully enough people expressed interest and so they did, and the game was released around early December. I don’t think Sega make much profit if any at all due to all the costs involved. I doubt if many people own this game, but you really should because it’ll do wonders for you – I’ve worked off my Christmas food eating already just by playing 3 times a week!

This is a superb way to keep fit, and could really prove to be of great benefit to everyone who plays it. Although it is immensely fun to play, it is very hard work, and most people are absolutely exhausted after playing, and that’s just on normal mode! However there is a warning that should not be ignored, it is health related and is very important, and I quote ‘IMPORTANT: Health Warning. The equipment provided with this game uses ultrasonic wave technology which may cause interference with pacemakers’ So do be careful, and if you know of a relative that may have a pacemaker then you must warn them because they may be unaware of this technology being used. Obviously, it isn’t advisable for people to play who are suffering from ill health or are pregnant.

Unlike most games nowadays the action actually takes place outside of the screen – and it’s just as entertaining, if not more so, for onlookers to watch the person playing than watching what happens on the screen. You’ll have some hilarious times, I took the game along to a New Year’s celebration and everyone had a go on it and loved it!

So what do you have to do then? Well it’s a simple concept, which unfortunately means it’ll be difficult for me to explain without showing you the game (you’ll have to try it out before you buy, but you’ll love it – so buy it anyway!), but I’ll do my best! After setting the game & equipment up – you’ll need to be standing ready before the game starts so that the Maracas can be recognised properly.

Stand on the dance mat (which is incidentally made of vinyl chloride), which has been connected to the Base Unit (the plastic long thing connected to the controller port), and hold the Maracas – one in each hand (these should be connected to the Base Unit) and get ready for the funniest moment of your gaming life! The intro screen appears and asks you to press start (this yellow button is on the right controller, the left yellow button acts as a back or ‘B’ button). You’ll then be greeted by the happiest of all menu screens, just shake the left maraca up or down to find the mode that suits you – when you’ve found it, shake the right maraca and listen to the instructions!

The game modes to choose from are:
· Arcade – the best option to play if you have just started and select easy, normal or hard mode (select easy if it’s you’re first go – believe me!) and then start to shake and move!
· Original – basically the same as Arcade, but with a greater selection of music!
· Challenge – test your shaking skills and advance through the rankings from beginner to expert!
· Party mode – the craziest mode and ideal for groups of people!
The idea in each mode is to pick a song from a range of real (or slightly modified songs for the purposes of the game) and then shake the maracas in accordance to where the blue balls/records go on the screen! You can shake high left & right, low left and right as well as to the sides – but be careful because you could find that the balls go in the top and bottom at the same time! You’ll have to catch as many balls as you can in order to pass – a C grade or above in most cases – and you’ll be chanted by a ‘Yeah!’ if you catch a ball, or a ‘boo!’ if you miss! At various points in the game you’ll have to pose: copy the onscreen poser and get it right – you’ll have to jump al over the place one maraca top left and one in the middle – and so on!

On the screen dancing with you is Samba! The virtual Mexican monkey! Who is appropriately dressed in Latino clothes! If you’re doing badly then he’ll have a frown on his face and be moving drearily, but if you’re doing well then he’ll have the biggest grin on his face and look ecstatic! There are all sorts of characters jumping around on the screen during the song - Not that you’ll notice any of it because the game requires your up-most concentration! It’s a question of balance, timing and coordination, but it’s easy enough to learn!

The graphics are superb and very funny, not that it matters because the game play is just amazing – certainly the most fun I’ve had last year playing a computer game! The colours are great, and very… happy! The best aspect of the game has to be the superb music – choose songs like: Chumbawumba’s ‘Tubthumping’; Ricky Martin singing ‘cup of Life’, the greatest song in the game ‘samba de Janeiro’; ‘Macarena’, ‘take me on’ and many more for you to unlock!

The game is fantastic, and is definitely the most extraordinary, exciting and manic I have ever played! It’s great exercise, and will save you going to the gym and paying incredibly high prices. Even my Grandma had a go on the game, and although she only scored 35% (an E grade) she had a great time!

As well as all of this, you can change the options and games settings, download more songs from the great triple W (world wide web) and basically have a party! If you thought people wanted to play Sega bass fishing at a party then think again – Samba will have you in hysterics, make you look like a complete fool, but it won’t matter because it’s such great fun! Don’t let the high price put you off - I really cannot recommend the game highly enough to you all.

Samba de Amigo - The ULTIMATE Dreamcast party game!
Sun 07/01/01 at 20:10
?
Sun 07/01/01 at 11:54
Does anyone else have Samba? Other than Golden Rhino?
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:37
Who? Wah? When? i didn't do it. Oh no, you'll never catch me i tels yiz.
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:35
who?
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:33
great response!
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:32
Regular
good review!
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:32
I think I did indeed advise you to get the game! But then, you obviously were aware of how good it was anyway!
I haven't even tried to get anywhere yet!
Sat 06/01/01 at 22:20
(Please don't have a go at me - my review is yet again too long to put in the review section. Come on Sr make it 8500 characters!!)

Well here you are!

Samba De Amigo!

Please note: before reading this, take into consideration that I have ‘normal’ family and friends and am not insane at all. Ahem…

Samba de Amigo is the ultimate party game, and is quite possibly the only game that everyone will want to play – and I mean everyone!
The way Sonic Team have created the game is beyond me, and how they managed to come up with such a superb idea, and make it into a playable, and enjoyable dancing, and maraca shaking mania!

The game is something special, something really quite extraordinary and is definitely worth the price you pay for it – no questions asked! At £79.99 RRP it is probably the most expensive game on the market, and certainly on Dreamcast, but be careful because I have seen places like GAME selling it for £99.99, which is not the RRP. I was lucky enough to purchase mine for the miniscule amount of just £61.49 from an online store, but they have since put the price up!

Samba De Amigo arrived in the morning in a very long intriguing corrugated cardboard box (70cms approx!), but I knew that this must be the game. Carefully opening the box, I found the Samba box, which is incredibly fun and stylish in a ‘happy Mexican’ colours! Opening this kind of carry case I was quite surprised to find very well designed interior packaging bearing the delights that were two fantastically authentic red maracas (although they’re attached via wires to the Dance mat), the actually dance mat neatly folded up, the plastic control centre which connects the Dance mat and the controllers to the Dreamcast control port. The game of course, is included!

Sega initially had doubts as to whether they should release Samba de Amigo in foreign territories than Japan, but thankfully enough people expressed interest and so they did, and the game was released around early December. I don’t think Sega make much profit if any at all due to all the costs involved. I doubt if many people own this game, but you really should because it’ll do wonders for you – I’ve worked off my Christmas food eating already just by playing 3 times a week!

This is a superb way to keep fit, and could really prove to be of great benefit to everyone who plays it. Although it is immensely fun to play, it is very hard work, and most people are absolutely exhausted after playing, and that’s just on normal mode! However there is a warning that should not be ignored, it is health related and is very important, and I quote ‘IMPORTANT: Health Warning. The equipment provided with this game uses ultrasonic wave technology which may cause interference with pacemakers’ So do be careful, and if you know of a relative that may have a pacemaker then you must warn them because they may be unaware of this technology being used. Obviously, it isn’t advisable for people to play who are suffering from ill health or are pregnant.

Unlike most games nowadays the action actually takes place outside of the screen – and it’s just as entertaining, if not more so, for onlookers to watch the person playing than watching what happens on the screen. You’ll have some hilarious times, I took the game along to a New Year’s celebration and everyone had a go on it and loved it!

So what do you have to do then? Well it’s a simple concept, which unfortunately means it’ll be difficult for me to explain without showing you the game (you’ll have to try it out before you buy, but you’ll love it – so buy it anyway!), but I’ll do my best! After setting the game & equipment up – you’ll need to be standing ready before the game starts so that the Maracas can be recognised properly.

Stand on the dance mat (which is incidentally made of vinyl chloride), which has been connected to the Base Unit (the plastic long thing connected to the controller port), and hold the Maracas – one in each hand (these should be connected to the Base Unit) and get ready for the funniest moment of your gaming life! The intro screen appears and asks you to press start (this yellow button is on the right controller, the left yellow button acts as a back or ‘B’ button). You’ll then be greeted by the happiest of all menu screens, just shake the left maraca up or down to find the mode that suits you – when you’ve found it, shake the right maraca and listen to the instructions!

The game modes to choose from are:
· Arcade – the best option to play if you have just started and select easy, normal or hard mode (select easy if it’s you’re first go – believe me!) and then start to shake and move!
· Original – basically the same as Arcade, but with a greater selection of music!
· Challenge – test your shaking skills and advance through the rankings from beginner to expert!
· Party mode – the craziest mode and ideal for groups of people!
The idea in each mode is to pick a song from a range of real (or slightly modified songs for the purposes of the game) and then shake the maracas in accordance to where the blue balls/records go on the screen! You can shake high left & right, low left and right as well as to the sides – but be careful because you could find that the balls go in the top and bottom at the same time! You’ll have to catch as many balls as you can in order to pass – a C grade or above in most cases – and you’ll be chanted by a ‘Yeah!’ if you catch a ball, or a ‘boo!’ if you miss! At various points in the game you’ll have to pose: copy the onscreen poser and get it right – you’ll have to jump al over the place one maraca top left and one in the middle – and so on!

On the screen dancing with you is Samba! The virtual Mexican monkey! Who is appropriately dressed in Latino clothes! If you’re doing badly then he’ll have a frown on his face and be moving drearily, but if you’re doing well then he’ll have the biggest grin on his face and look ecstatic! There are all sorts of characters jumping around on the screen during the song - Not that you’ll notice any of it because the game requires your up-most concentration! It’s a question of balance, timing and coordination, but it’s easy enough to learn!

The graphics are superb and very funny, not that it matters because the game play is just amazing – certainly the most fun I’ve had last year playing a computer game! The colours are great, and very… happy! The best aspect of the game has to be the superb music – choose songs like: Chumbawumba’s ‘Tubthumping’; Ricky Martin singing ‘cup of Life’, the greatest song in the game ‘samba de Janeiro’; ‘Macarena’, ‘take me on’ and many more for you to unlock!

The game is fantastic, and is definitely the most extraordinary, exciting and manic I have ever played! It’s great exercise, and will save you going to the gym and paying incredibly high prices. Even my Grandma had a go on the game, and although she only scored 35% (an E grade) she had a great time!

As well as all of this, you can change the options and games settings, download more songs from the great triple W (world wide web) and basically have a party! If you thought people wanted to play Sega bass fishing at a party then think again – Samba will have you in hysterics, make you look like a complete fool, but it won’t matter because it’s such great fun! Don’t let the high price put you off - I really cannot recommend the game highly enough to you all.

Samba de Amigo - The ULTIMATE Dreamcast party game!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.