GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Gamecube will be the number 1 console"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/01/01 at 21:07
Regular
It will undoubtebly be the best console on earth when it is realesed in japan in july.
The games list is getting bigger and bigger due to more third party games developers joining the nintendo game list.
We will at last see the return of the Final Fantasy series to a nintendo console with the announcement that Final Fantasy 10 will be released on the gamecube.
Will gamecube be the best console for RPGs?
Yes of course it will with games like Final fantasy and zelda how can it be beaten.
It also has some of the best shhot em ups around aswell with perfect dark 2
CAN THIS MACHINE BE BEATEN
Sat 06/01/01 at 21:07
Regular
It will undoubtebly be the best console on earth when it is realesed in japan in july.
The games list is getting bigger and bigger due to more third party games developers joining the nintendo game list.
We will at last see the return of the Final Fantasy series to a nintendo console with the announcement that Final Fantasy 10 will be released on the gamecube.
Will gamecube be the best console for RPGs?
Yes of course it will with games like Final fantasy and zelda how can it be beaten.
It also has some of the best shhot em ups around aswell with perfect dark 2
CAN THIS MACHINE BE BEATEN
Sun 07/01/01 at 13:43
That is one of the most naive comments ever. Regardless of ability I feel Gamecube will badly struggle for these reasons.
1) Sony owns the market. they have all the fans and the third party support not to mention the ability to market the psx2 like no other company.
2) Nintendo, as with the N64, are leaving the release date too late. They were lucky with N64 as the only opposition was Sony but by the time they will reach the market there will be Sega's excellent Dreamcast, Sony's psx2 which will easily dominate the market and X-Box. How much of a market do they expect to be available?
3) The disgraceful way they have abadoned N64 will have lost them a lot of support. Whilst sony continue to produce games for the psx1 Nintendo have just given up and as such let down there fans badly. A few of my friends who have always been nintendo fans are so annoyed they have given up and gone elsewhere and this won't be an isolated incident.
4) Finally Nintendo are still a kids machine. look at it with all the pretty colours and games. Nintendo have not grasped that the market has moved on. They may be experts at ripping kids off (pokemon) but that is no longer all you need to claim a slice of the market.
Wether or not the gamecube is superior to anything else it will fail because of bad marketing. The comment really is
HOW CAN THIS SYSTEM ESCAPE FAILURE?
Sun 07/01/01 at 14:33
Regular
Right then, I'll try to answer the faults you said.

1) Sony owns the market. they have all the fans and the third party support not to mention the ability to market the psx2 like no other company.

Ah, third party support is lacking. We already know that many companies are dropping the PS2 in favour of the X-Box or Gamecube because of the difficulty of using the processors. And MANY third partys have joined up with Gamecube, after recieving the dev kits in December. So not much to worry about there.

2) Nintendo, as with the N64, are leaving the release date too late. They were lucky with N64 as the only opposition was Sony but by the time they will reach the market there will be Sega's excellent Dreamcast, Sony's psx2 which will easily dominate the market and X-Box. How much of a market do they expect to be available?

The X-Box will be AFTER the Gamecube, and I honestly believe the Dreamcast has little chance of really being a big competetor, unfortunatly. So the main ones will be PS2 and Gamecube for a while. And it all remains on third partys then. And I've lost trust in the X-Box, after yesterdays pathetic demonstation from Microsoft.

3) The disgraceful way they have abadoned N64 will have lost them a lot of support. Whilst sony continue to produce games for the psx1 Nintendo have just given up and as such let down there fans badly. A few of my friends who have always been nintendo fans are so annoyed they have given up and gone elsewhere and this won't be an isolated incident.

Right, the PS2 has PS1 capability. So that's expected, and Sony don't produce, make, design, or have mostly anything to do with games. They produce a rubbish game everynow and again, and that's it.
On the thoughts of your friends, ask them if they rathered Nintendo forgot about the future of gaming, and trying to make Gamecube the best console there will be, and concentrate on the dying N64, which it is, and they have seen that.

4) Finally Nintendo are still a kids machine. look at it with all the pretty colours and games. Nintendo have not grasped that the market has moved on. They may be experts at ripping kids off (pokemon) but that is no longer all you need to claim a slice of the market.

I don't mind the Pokemon games. The only people who diss it, are either people who detest RPG's, or, as I suspect, have never played the game. Yes, merchendice was very over the top, but basically, the stupid little children are paying for our games to be made.
Pretty colours? Explain to me how pretty is childish?
And the games are some of the best found on any system, ever. Just because they have bears and birds as main characters, means nothing.

All in all, most of your points are simply jabs at Nintendo, with no evidence to back you up. As the systems, and games, are looking now, Gamecube has the largest chance of becoming the superior console, which will mean more games for it.

Please accept that.
Mon 08/01/01 at 19:24
ok fair points but...
1) I find your argument about third party support dropping Sony interesting. If you actually look at the companies 70% are still Sony owned. A few have defected but in the same way a few tories have defected to the fantastic Liberal democrats - doesn't mean the Libs have a hope in hell in the election. However to add credit to your argument Square's defection is interesting. However Gamecube I still feel drastically lacks support. It'll be a N64 all over again. The better games (usually) but not in anywhere near enough quantity.
2) The release date is interesting. we seem to keep getting different dates from here there and everywhere and the world releases are all different. However there is little doubt the two will release at similar times meaning fierce competition.
3) Whatever happens I really can't see Sony being better. I have huge criticism to make about psx2 but the market is Sony's as is the cash to advertise. I will accept any argument that psx2 isn't the best machine but in terms of market potential and ability I don't give anyone else a hope in hell of knocking them off top spot.
4) Firstly I dnt dislike Nintendo. One of my first ever game consoles - and the FIRST ever game console I played on was a NES and I have a great affection for the company (Although I usually side with Sega). These aren't petty digs but constructive arguments which I just as quickly make against any system. I have owned Nintendo's,Sega's and all sorts down the years (inc PSX1) so I don;t tend to be bias one way or the other although like I say I have a great affinity with Sega.
- Also the Pokemon argument. I have played Pokemon and didn't like it at all. Also my fav genre is actually RPG. I love role players so that one doesn't work against me. I just feel Nintendo have their wires crossed. Pokemon is fine as it pleases children but Nintendo should also realise that most of the market are young men and make sure they play to them more!
All told I can see your point of veiw but I still feel Nintendo have a serious problem. I accept that Nintendo's system will probably produce a lot of good games like the N64 before it (Goldenye for one!) but they do lack developers and they won't regain them until they play to the older market. At least they have Square under their belt. Final Fantasy is the best role-playing series ever and that is a massive boost!
Mon 08/01/01 at 20:24

it will be the best and thats that
Mon 08/01/01 at 22:40
Yeah ok that was a great argument
> it'll b the best and thats that!
Listen as much as I respect Nintendo's commitment to games and understand that the gamecube has every chance of producing quality games and benchmark games anyone with an ounce of knowladge about this industry has to accept that no one has a cat in hells chance of getting the better of Sony. Unfortunatly the quality of games on a console is becoming more and more irrelevant. besides which Sega and some on Sony's developers have just as much ability of producing a classic game as anyone else. have you seen anything from MGS2 yet? That is stunning. The thing is it really will be impossible to judge the machines ability until we see it. Whilst I am not going to argue that Gamecube will have many a quality game I will argue that looking at everything it won't push Sony from top spot. trying to judge the system before I can get my hands on one is naive so I won't attempt that. However from a market point of veiw even the most loyal Nintendo fan must accept that Sony will dominate just like all the Sega men have accepted that (well most of em)!
Mon 08/01/01 at 22:42
Listen as much as I respect Nintendo's commitment to games and understand that the gamecube has every chance of producing quality games and benchmark games anyone with an ounce of knowladge about this industry has to accept that no one has a cat in hells chance of getting the better of Sony. Unfortunatly the quality of games on a console is becoming more and more irrelevant. besides which Sega and some on Sony's developers have just as much ability of producing a classic game as anyone else. have you seen anything from MGS2 yet? That is stunning. The thing is it really will be impossible to judge the machines ability until we see it. Whilst I am not going to argue that Gamecube will have many a quality game I will argue that looking at everything it won't push Sony from top spot. trying to judge the system before I can get my hands on one is naive so I won't attempt that. However from a market point of veiw even the most loyal Nintendo fan must accept that Sony will dominate just like all the Sega men have accepted that (well most of em)!
Mon 08/01/01 at 22:43
Tue 09/01/01 at 17:00
Regular
I have seen many videos of MGS2, I certainly don't think it's stunning, even quite average for the game of today. Anyway, you cannot judge one console by one game.
Tue 09/01/01 at 18:13
No one judged any system by one game! I just made the point that sega and sony have developers who are just as talented as Nintendo are. In fact Sega are as talented as the big N. As for MGS2 I dnt knw what you were watching but the full motion clios and videos I've seen of the game are immense. I'm no fan of psx2, in fact if you look at many other msg I've got in forums I have been very critical of the system but mgs2 is looking very good. I agree no system can be judged by one game and if you look at my points that is not what I was saying. I was just noting that there are companies just as talented than anything N have! As for MGS dnt let bias get in your way. it is brilliant and I am quite happy to admit it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.