GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSM2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/01/01 at 20:23
Regular
Anyone got PSM2 this month?? Comes with free DVD preview disc, and Onimusha in particular looks absolutely incredible!! It looks as if it plays the same way as the Res Evil games and will be one title that I will wait anxiously for!! Not released till the summer though unfortunately.
Also on the DVD are:

Metal Gear Solid 2
Gran Turismo 3
Dark Cloud
Ridge Racer V
Dead or Alive 2
Dynasty Warriors 2 (anyone got this?? Whats it like??)
Tekken Tag (tips)
SSX (tips)
PS2 Emotion movie

They state that next issue will come with another free DVD preview disc, great!!
Mon 08/01/01 at 12:03
"High polygon count"
Sorry devo I misread your post...

> As far as the PSM2 disc is concerned, maybe

I read OPS2M here instead of PSM2! :-\

I'll be more careful in future! :-)
Mon 08/01/01 at 12:00
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

I think the current OPS2M discs are actually CD's and
> not DVD's (I seem to recall reading something about it in the latest
> issue, but can't remember exactly what) so whoever produces them
> shold have bags of experience from OPSM.

I think whatever I say is going to be speculation, so it's pointless in a way. But maybe on PSM2 they compile the clips themselves (the shoddy endings seems to indicate that is the case), but on the official mags the clips are produced by the developer/publisher of the game, and all the mag has to do is transfer it to their disc (hence the usual 'The game will be available ....' messages they tend to have). Who knows?
Mon 08/01/01 at 11:43
"High polygon count"
> The 'Development Hell' thing they did in OPSM magazine
> was pretty dire too.

It sure was. Can you believe they actually had a letter from someone asking when that game would be out?! Good grief!

> As far as the PSM2 disc is concerned, maybe
> when they've had a bit of feedback, and got up to speed with writing
> DVDs (I'm assuming they do it themselves?), they'll improve.

I think the current OPS2M discs are actually CD's and not DVD's (I seem to recall reading something about it in the latest issue, but can't remember exactly what) so whoever produces them shold have bags of experience from OPSM.
Mon 08/01/01 at 11:16
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

I subscribe to OPS2M
> simply because they're likely to be first with any major PS2 news;
> the magazine is okay, but nothing special. And that "Game
> Over" thing at the back with those pathetic illustrations of
> game endings is one of the most irrelevant and pointless things I've
> ever seen in a games magazine.

The 'Development Hell' thing they did in OPSM magazine was pretty dire too.

As far as the PSM2 disc is concerned, maybe when they've had a bit of feedback, and got up to speed with writing DVDs (I'm assuming they do it themselves?), they'll improve. The PSW disc is classy, but the magazine definitely isn't. I don't understand the difference in quality between their disc and mag - it's pretty odd.
Sun 07/01/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
And that "Game
> Over" thing at the back with those pathetic illustrations of
> game endings is one of the most irrelevant and pointless things I've
> ever seen in a games magazine.

Here, here! Its pointless, i think they should have "next month" on that part instead.
Sun 07/01/01 at 13:40
"High polygon count"
I agree - PSM2 is by far the best PS2 mag around. Considering that both PSM2 and OPSM2 are by Future Publishing, I'm surprised that PSM2 isn't the official UK magazine, at least in terms of content.

As for PSM2's DVD - yes, it was good, but I felt it isn't quite as well-presented as PSW's disc. The editing of some of the videos is quite erratic, and some of them end at very odd moments! Still, at least they've made a good effort, and it can only get better next issue.

OPS2M's discs have been bland by comparison, even if they do have playable demos. The 2nd disc, with only TTT on it, was a complete disaster, IMHO. Probably 80% of PS2 owners will got that game with their machine, and the 20% that didn't probably weren't interested anyway.

I subscribe to OPS2M simply because they're likely to be first with any major PS2 news; the magazine is okay, but nothing special. And that "Game Over" thing at the back with those pathetic illustrations of game endings is one of the most irrelevant and pointless things I've ever seen in a games magazine.
Sun 07/01/01 at 11:57
Bulldog wrote:
> Still great to watch though!

As i can play the free DVD thing
> with the mag, and it plays perfect, does that mean I don't have that
> green picture that everyones complaining about?

No, it just means you don't have an RGB connection.

Use RGB connection = green screen.

Simple as that really. The SCART socket can carry a variety of signals through those 21 pins; S-VIDEO, Composite (or Composhite as some wags refer to it - forgive my French) , Component RGB and audio stereo channels. It also carries assorted data signals. Your TV/Monitor may use any/all or accept only one of these signal types through its SCART socket.

Even high-end TVs with 2 SCART sockets tend to only accept RGB signals through the first SCART socket and not the second (if at all).

As for PSM2 magazine, it is by far the best PS2 mag out there. Not only do the staff writers know what they are talking about, they cut the right tone, don't patronise the readership and seem to have had some form of education in comparison to other PS2 magazines. The "Official Playstation Magazine" is a sad sorry affair that deserves a quick death (or new staff). Just a short example of the many head-scratchers...in the Unreal Tournament feature, the Galleon ship is refered to as a...Viking ship??? (did we skip elementary history?) And the gaff'o'rama continues...but that's worthy of a seperate topic.

PSM2 is very good. Although one questions the "expert tips" videos of SSX which miss out a lot of the cool shortcuts. Playstation World's DVDs are slicker and more informative with their review "subtitles" you can toggle. But then, I buy PSW just for the DVD and I buy PSM2 for the magazine itself, which is the point no????

Richard
Sun 07/01/01 at 11:17
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Still great to watch though!

As i can play the free DVD thing with the mag, and it plays perfect, does that mean I don't have that green picture that everyones complaining about?
Sun 07/01/01 at 01:09
Regular
"Whatever!"
Quite disappointingly no - Strictly movies!!
Sat 06/01/01 at 23:34
are any playable?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.