GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vocabulary"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/10/06 at 08:04
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
How impressed are you by someones vocabulary, if someone was to make exactly the same point yet in a more 'artful' way would it impress you more, or can you see through the 'big words'?
Wed 04/10/06 at 08:04
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
How impressed are you by someones vocabulary, if someone was to make exactly the same point yet in a more 'artful' way would it impress you more, or can you see through the 'big words'?
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:27
Regular
Oh I know those types, when they try and show off even the way they speak. Most of the time you can't understand what they're saying, that's hardly impressive if what you're saying can't be understood.
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Doesn't impress me at all I like people to have a good basic vocabulary but those who learn long complicated words and try and use them at every opportunity are just trying to make you feel inferior to them.
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:42
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I see through it - but sometimes it overwhelms me. Especially when on school trips and other school pupils come and talk to you using words you've never heard of. I just use made up words back, they look impressed and then walk off...

Just standing my ground!
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:51
Regular
Using big words is ok in education or in a work environment, where necessary .. used right they can convince people you have a good knowledge of the subject matter. But in every day conversation with friends etc, there's no use talking like shakespeare if people can't understand a bloody word.

It's more about how you express yourself I think ... you can be a great communicator without over-doing things.

I do have to say I love the english language though.
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:53
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Eye due two!

Sew many weighs too ex-press yourself!
Wed 04/10/06 at 09:56
Regular
I like vocabulary, I don't see the point in shunning it in favour of being like everyone else. I love to learn new words all the time, makes up for all the learning I didn't do in school.

I won't blag someones head with big words, but I won't shy away from using them if I feel like using them.
Wed 04/10/06 at 23:01
Regular
I try to work on my vocabulary too. I keep sheets where I list words I either don't feel fully comfortable with the definition of, don't know the definition of at all, or can't spell, whenever I come across them in books and stuff.

I have the intention of going back over the lists, and bringing myself up to speed.

It never happens, but just making that first effort to acknowledge the gap in my knowledge helps me to slowly fill them in.
After the same word has come up on one of the lists 2 or 3 times, I usually cotton on.

For example, esoteric. Which is actually very fitting for this discussion :^)

I'd never actually thought about about it as using long words to convey superior intellect - either in the books I read or when I speak to other people.

When it's me who doesn't understand, I always tended to see it as my own limitations, not a flaw in the author.
I can't think of any times I've put anyone else in that situation, but perhaps they just pretend, like hippyman.

It'd be wicked if he and I met up. We could talk for hours, and both come away with absolutely no idea what the other was saying, at any point in the conversation :^D

One book I read recently took the 'simplest possible, natural language' approach and was brilliant.

Another took the 'lots of long, impressive technical words' approach and was a total ball-ache.

But another one took the 'simple words, conversational style' approach and was just intensely hard work to read.

Overcomplication - Bad
Oversimplification - Bad

'Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler.'
Einstien (roughly remembered).
It sounds like he knew a thing or two :^)
Wed 04/10/06 at 23:04
Regular
"lets go back"
It doesnt impress me at all. Its more impressive to be able to converse with people of all levels but these "vocab" people just use too many big words. Its more of a deliberate thing so that lower class people cant understand them because they dont want to talk to them, which isnt impressive to me.
Thu 05/10/06 at 13:54
Regular
"..."
Know your audience...

If you use big words that people don't know they're unlikely to ask what they actually mean, thus they'll quickly lose any idea of what you're talking about...

If you use too many simple words, then they'll likely assume that you're simple and lose interest...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.