GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Optimizing CD Drive Speed....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 22:33
Regular
Is there a way to optimize the speed of my CD drive???
It's meant to be capable of running at pretty high speeds, but I did a speed test, and it was quite slow.

Any help appreciated.
Sun 02/02/03 at 00:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
What? Go away you annoying little man.
Sun 02/02/03 at 00:10
Regular
"fabio2003.tk"
HOW FAST is fast. If u go to my computer and properites of ur cd drive,u mite find somet useful
Sat 01/02/03 at 22:33
Yes and an easier way to 'visualise' this is to think how much information the laser will see for the same revolution of the disk if its on the inside or outside of the disk
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's to do with disc radii. The quoted 50x speed is based on the read speed of the disc when you read from the outer rings. At the CD drive maximum RPM, the outer edge of the disc is travelling at 50x speed. However, if you try to read from the inside (and all discs start from the inside), the maximum RPM produces a slower read speed, in the region of 20-25x, because the circumfrence is smaller.
Fri 31/01/03 at 21:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Your average 50x CDROM drive will only be capable of a sustained transfer of 12K/s or somesuch. This is the norm - it's due to CDROM manufacturers fiddling the numbers in some way, probably to do with peak transfer rates.

:O/
Fri 31/01/03 at 21:29
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Cheers
Fri 31/01/03 at 07:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
How slow? Did you run it all the way through?

Use Nero CD Speed to test it properly. It comes with recent versions of Nero Burning ROM. There are free trials.
Thu 30/01/03 at 22:33
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Is there a way to optimize the speed of my CD drive???
It's meant to be capable of running at pretty high speeds, but I did a speed test, and it was quite slow.

Any help appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.