GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can money buy everything?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 20:54
Regular
Money is a big part of every person’s life - not one thing in life is free; even taking a walk down the street wears your shoes a little bit, which will eventually cost you money. It seems that everything requires money. But, can money be used to buy anything and everything?

Money buys all the neccesities in life. A home, clothes, food. People depend on money to get by in life, and anyone who does not have any money has to rely on the kindness of strangers to see them through each day. The lack of money is some countries is very apparent, especially in poverty-stricken countries which are littered with thin, under-nourished people fighting for their lives. Things like this make it apparent that money is essential to the way we live our lives. We need it.

Once in a while, you’ll buy something really stupid. Like when you go out for a day at Brighton and you buy a gorilla soft toy that sings ‘King of the World’ every time you clap your hands. You buy a large milkshake when a Regular one would’ve given you the same amount of pleasure - the pleasure of sucking a straw for three minutes emptily before giving up and removing the lid so you can treat the dirty plastic bucket as a cup. But, you can be forgiven for these things. Your milkshake lasted a little longer, and you are now afraid to clap in your house because you lost your gorilla and you might get a nasty shock.

So, money gets you along in life with all the basics, and a singing gorilla cuddly toy.. let’s go up another level here. Let’s move onto the things that aren’t essential, the things we like to buy greedily and then fob ourselves off by telling ourselves that it’s right to spoil yourself once in a while - those African kids can wait, because Baby really needs his new Burberry outfit to go to church in. Money buys lots of things we don’t need. Television, computers, tickets to go see stuff like football or films. The list goes on and on, and no-one reading this can honestly say that they have never stepped a little above the ‘make do’ mark, whether you dared to buy regular Lemonade instead of the 20p economy one, or whether you decided to buy a huge mansion in the countryside when you could have made do with a normal sized house. Money buys all of the mentioned things, and true, if you have excess money lying around burning a hole in your pocket, you will obviously be tempted to treat yourself.

Moving up the ladder now, onto the real extravagances that you really, really didn’t need. That Cherry Red Aston Martin sitting in front of your house, sparkling in the sunlight and drawing passers-by to look at it and occasionally try to break into and eventually steal it. That 3 week cruise around the Caribbean which easily could’ve been 10 days if you weren’t so greedy. That First Class plane ticket on an hours journey to Paris. It was only an hour, you really didn’t need 4 metres of leg room and a beautiful hostess in tight uniform running whenever you call her name. You could’ve made do with normal seats like everyone else, you greedy pig. I’m ashamed of you. Anyway, as usual, all the things above this very line of text cost money. Unless you win them on some crazy scratchcard or TV game show, but money is the most common way to acquire these novelties.

Getting onto much bigger things now, if you have enough money it is possible to buy things like businesses which generate money, and you can also buy large amounts of land. You could buy a farm if you wanted, or if you didn’t fancy the hillbilly routine you could buy something like a golf course or a company. These would require lots of money, but it isn’t impossible to acquire these.

Verging onto ridiculous, if you had enough money I’m sure you could probably buy a small country like Cuba. You could probably buy every country in the world if you had extreme amounts of money - give everyone a billion pounds and no-one gives your evil world-domination a second glance. Topics debating how this would affect society can please be kept away, I know someone would be against it but life’s like that. Okay, so no-one is going to have a billion billion billion billion pounds to pay the world with, but it isn’t impossible, and one day... who knows?

Getting onto the part of the topic where you really start to question this poster’s mental welfare, could you buy a planet, or indeed the entire universe with the right sum? I say no, and why you’d want to pay all that money for a giant light bulb, one habitable planet and a big crusty rock that hangs in the sky with nothing else but empty space and a few big circles that provide pleasure for Astrologers. But, if you had enough money, you could probably buy the Universe. Again, I stress, that no-one would want the Universe, but it wouldn’t be impossible, as if you brought the Earth you’d basically own the Universe anyway.

The best things in life are free - love, happiness, freedom . . . or are they? You can’t buy a woman’s love, not unless you pay a prostitute thousands of pounds a year so that she’ll be your wife. Happiness can be brought, in terms of entertainment and days out which provide happiness. Freedom probably can be brought, if you have enough money to bribe the law or move to a lawless country, or you could live in the jungle. Okay, so most of these are pretty unrealistic. Ideally you shouldn’t be able to bribe the law and you wouldn’t want to live in the jungle, and most men have enough dignity that they would think twice before hiring a prostitute as their wife.

So, what do you think of this? Can money buy EVERYTHING? Or do we draw the line after the bit about buying a golf course?
Thu 30/01/03 at 20:54
Regular
Money is a big part of every person’s life - not one thing in life is free; even taking a walk down the street wears your shoes a little bit, which will eventually cost you money. It seems that everything requires money. But, can money be used to buy anything and everything?

Money buys all the neccesities in life. A home, clothes, food. People depend on money to get by in life, and anyone who does not have any money has to rely on the kindness of strangers to see them through each day. The lack of money is some countries is very apparent, especially in poverty-stricken countries which are littered with thin, under-nourished people fighting for their lives. Things like this make it apparent that money is essential to the way we live our lives. We need it.

Once in a while, you’ll buy something really stupid. Like when you go out for a day at Brighton and you buy a gorilla soft toy that sings ‘King of the World’ every time you clap your hands. You buy a large milkshake when a Regular one would’ve given you the same amount of pleasure - the pleasure of sucking a straw for three minutes emptily before giving up and removing the lid so you can treat the dirty plastic bucket as a cup. But, you can be forgiven for these things. Your milkshake lasted a little longer, and you are now afraid to clap in your house because you lost your gorilla and you might get a nasty shock.

So, money gets you along in life with all the basics, and a singing gorilla cuddly toy.. let’s go up another level here. Let’s move onto the things that aren’t essential, the things we like to buy greedily and then fob ourselves off by telling ourselves that it’s right to spoil yourself once in a while - those African kids can wait, because Baby really needs his new Burberry outfit to go to church in. Money buys lots of things we don’t need. Television, computers, tickets to go see stuff like football or films. The list goes on and on, and no-one reading this can honestly say that they have never stepped a little above the ‘make do’ mark, whether you dared to buy regular Lemonade instead of the 20p economy one, or whether you decided to buy a huge mansion in the countryside when you could have made do with a normal sized house. Money buys all of the mentioned things, and true, if you have excess money lying around burning a hole in your pocket, you will obviously be tempted to treat yourself.

Moving up the ladder now, onto the real extravagances that you really, really didn’t need. That Cherry Red Aston Martin sitting in front of your house, sparkling in the sunlight and drawing passers-by to look at it and occasionally try to break into and eventually steal it. That 3 week cruise around the Caribbean which easily could’ve been 10 days if you weren’t so greedy. That First Class plane ticket on an hours journey to Paris. It was only an hour, you really didn’t need 4 metres of leg room and a beautiful hostess in tight uniform running whenever you call her name. You could’ve made do with normal seats like everyone else, you greedy pig. I’m ashamed of you. Anyway, as usual, all the things above this very line of text cost money. Unless you win them on some crazy scratchcard or TV game show, but money is the most common way to acquire these novelties.

Getting onto much bigger things now, if you have enough money it is possible to buy things like businesses which generate money, and you can also buy large amounts of land. You could buy a farm if you wanted, or if you didn’t fancy the hillbilly routine you could buy something like a golf course or a company. These would require lots of money, but it isn’t impossible to acquire these.

Verging onto ridiculous, if you had enough money I’m sure you could probably buy a small country like Cuba. You could probably buy every country in the world if you had extreme amounts of money - give everyone a billion pounds and no-one gives your evil world-domination a second glance. Topics debating how this would affect society can please be kept away, I know someone would be against it but life’s like that. Okay, so no-one is going to have a billion billion billion billion pounds to pay the world with, but it isn’t impossible, and one day... who knows?

Getting onto the part of the topic where you really start to question this poster’s mental welfare, could you buy a planet, or indeed the entire universe with the right sum? I say no, and why you’d want to pay all that money for a giant light bulb, one habitable planet and a big crusty rock that hangs in the sky with nothing else but empty space and a few big circles that provide pleasure for Astrologers. But, if you had enough money, you could probably buy the Universe. Again, I stress, that no-one would want the Universe, but it wouldn’t be impossible, as if you brought the Earth you’d basically own the Universe anyway.

The best things in life are free - love, happiness, freedom . . . or are they? You can’t buy a woman’s love, not unless you pay a prostitute thousands of pounds a year so that she’ll be your wife. Happiness can be brought, in terms of entertainment and days out which provide happiness. Freedom probably can be brought, if you have enough money to bribe the law or move to a lawless country, or you could live in the jungle. Okay, so most of these are pretty unrealistic. Ideally you shouldn’t be able to bribe the law and you wouldn’t want to live in the jungle, and most men have enough dignity that they would think twice before hiring a prostitute as their wife.

So, what do you think of this? Can money buy EVERYTHING? Or do we draw the line after the bit about buying a golf course?
Thu 30/01/03 at 23:17
Regular
One thing money certainly can't buy is a cure for humankind's unstoppable propensity to want, need and own.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:05
"Mimmargh!"
How the hell do you buy the universe!? Nobody owns it. And you could not buy a country like the USA no matter how much money you had because there is a written constitution. However, you could use your money to train up a military machine then take over by force...so you could buy any country indirectly.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:32
Regular
I know you can't buy the Universe, not yet anyway.

And Jazzy-Jack, nice try to boost your word count. I see you made sure to delete all signs of it being quoted.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:33
Regular
"I like cheese"
Jack...did you mean to quote the whole of Asher's post?

I'd say money can buy temporary happiness, or 'false' happiness maybe...but as you said you can't buy true love or anything like that, so no, I don't think it can buy everything.
Fri 31/01/03 at 16:58
Regular
Ant wrote:
> Jack...did you mean to quote the whole of Asher's post?
>

Methinks he was disguising it as his own work. Where was the 'Asher D wrote:' and the >s, eh?

> I'd say money can buy temporary happiness, or 'false' happiness
> maybe...but as you said you can't buy true love or anything like that,
> so no, I don't think it can buy everything.

Fair enough.
Fri 31/01/03 at 17:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Quite obviously he just copied and pasted.
Fri 31/01/03 at 17:28
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I worked that out too

Me and gerrid are cleverlligent
Fri 31/01/03 at 22:35
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
A wise man once said:

"money can't buy you love", but if you hang around certain areas around King's Cross after dark you'll find that you can.

Another wise man once said:
"He who p155 into wind, get wet trouser."

Can't argue with that.
Sat 01/02/03 at 18:33
Regular
Unless the wind is in theother direction. That makes you look cool because you can pee further.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.