GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leeds agree £9m fee for Woodgate"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/01/03 at 16:44
Regular
Leeds United have agreed a £9million fee with Newcastle for Jonathan Woodgate.

Leeds' dire financial situation has forced them into selling the England defender, who will meet with Newcastle officials to discuss personal terms.

The Woodgate deal now throws into doubt the future of Terry Venables, who last week stated he would consider his options should the 23-year-old be sold.

Venables met with Ridsdale at the club's Thorp Arch training complex to discuss the situation on Thursday afternoon, and, at the moment, he remains in charge at Elland Road

Following Leeds' defeat against Chelsea on Tuesday, Venables suggested Fowler's departure would ensure Woodgate would remain at Elland Road.

But the club's staggering debts and exorbitant wage bill have clearly dictated otherwise.

Venables only took charge in early July, but has had to stand by and watch as Rio Ferdinand, Robbie Keane, Lee Bowyer, Olivier Dacourt and Fowler have all left, with Woodgate's departure possibly the final straw.

Such is the feeling of antipathy from the fans now, one today placed a 'For Sale' sign round the esteemed Billy Bremner statue at Elland Road before it was hastily removed.

Further demonstrations are now certain to follow on Tuesday when the replay with Gillingham takes place, which could make for an uncomfortable evening for Ridsdale and his plc colleagues.

Just thought i'd let you lot know.

What does everyone think about this?
Mon 03/02/03 at 11:05
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Venables is now saying that he is going to stay just until the end of the season becuase of the Woodgate thing, making him feel like a "pasty". I think it's just an excuse as the job is harder than he thought it'd be and thats his get out clause without looking like he bottled it!
Fri 31/01/03 at 23:06
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Well Risdales come out of all this lookling some what a fool, a joke and a liar, when Rio wanted to join Utd he said "He was keeping the position warm for Woodgate anyway...."

.....So I wonder who Woodgate was "keeping the position is keeping the position warm for?..."

Sour Grapes - terrible thing.

No wonder Leeds fans are unhappy with an idiot as a Chairman.
Fri 31/01/03 at 22:23
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Great! :D

At last, Only for 9m too... great deal for a great player. I bet he will get along with the players there, if he doesn't then its all a waste.

Like that Dream team programme... All of them hated each other!
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:13
Regular
"Aka Hammond"
Newcastle have completed the signing of Jonathan Woodgate from Leeds.

Woodgate was hoping to make his debut at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

But the postponement of the match means his first game is expected to be next Sunday's home match with Arsenal.

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's official website: "He's a great young player and another player we have signed for the future - so we are delighted."
Fri 31/01/03 at 13:10
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If we hadn't have gotten Rio Ferdinand last-Summer, Jonthan "Sheep-head" Woodgate was the one British player I would've wanted to have come to Old Trafford instead.

He's going to be a great asset for Newcastle, and I'll think he'll gradually force Titus Bramble out of the team.
Woodgate's been in the Leeds first-team for years now, and he's therefore got a lot of experience - and it's not just in the league, or for club, either. I can still remember seeing him score on his Leeds debut against Sheffield Wednesday live on SkySports a few years ago...

To me, Titus Bramble was a bad signing for a club like Newcastle. If he'd have gone to an Everton, or Aston Villa, or someone, I think he'd have done much better over the last year after only one full-season in the Premiership, and a few "easy" European games.
He's got potential, and he's always had it. But I just feel he went to a club too-big, at an age too-early.

Leeds will severely regret selling Woodgate so-soon after Fowler went!
They could well be down there with West Ham very-soon...!
Fri 31/01/03 at 08:10
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
It may just be me but if Venables does leave surely that would be good news for Leeds as he has hardly been as successful as O'Leary has he (I mean in terms of actually getting a decent league position...not winning anything...it is Leeds we're talking about!)
Fri 31/01/03 at 06:50
Regular
Foreman wrote:
> If Woodgate goes, then they'll end up in West Hams position next year
> and will also lose Venables.
>
> I wonder what the Leeds fans are thinking and feeling at the moment,
> with all there best players being sold.

Yea, As its not Money that makes a good team! Terry could do better couldn't he?
Thu 30/01/03 at 20:36
Regular
It could not happen to a better team, unless it was Liverpool :)
Thu 30/01/03 at 20:04
Regular
"Baros!!!"
If Woodgate goes, then they'll end up in West Hams position next year and will also lose Venables.

I wonder what the Leeds fans are thinking and feeling at the moment, with all there best players being sold.
Thu 30/01/03 at 19:36
Regular
I think leeds just said that he was too good to let go, Shame.

So i think hes staying there :)

Please correct me if i'm wrong... I heard this news over the radio...

But at least one good thing that Newcastle will be having "Northen Rock" as their new shirt Sponsor for 12 million contract!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.