GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's Third Party Relations"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/01/01 at 21:08
Regular
We all know that Nintendo hasn't had a good relationship with the third parties since the end of the Super NES era. With the cartridge format, difficult development systems, and higher costs, I'm surprised that any company outside of Nintendo developed for the N64. When faced with the more "friendly" PlayStation, I don't blame them for leaving. Fortunately, Nintendo has seen the proverbial light and decided that third parties are good for them. The GameCube was designed to be the "Anti-N64." Cartridges have been replaced by proprietery DVDs. Development kits are made so developer-friendly, it isn't funny. I'm not sure about costs, but THQ has said that development costs are 50% less than the PS2. Nintendo has done a great job thus far in winning back developers, but they still need to do some work.

For the first time in history, Nintendo is the underdog. They lost to Sony Corp's PlayStation. Thus, the hype is in Sony's favor. Developers and gamer's alike are committed to the PlayStation 2. Nintendo has to raise doubt in the PS2's abilities. It is widely known that the PS2 isn't the easiest console to develop for, but games are still being made in droves for it. Why? Because there is no other real next generation system to develop for. Sega's Dreamcast was made like most other Sega consoles: to compete with the current generation. Genesis was better than the NES but worse than SNES. Saturn was made to beat the SNES but was beaten by the PS. Dreamcast was made to beat PS and N64 but will be thrashed by PS2, gamecube, and X-Box. Nintendo should be aggressive in its marketing campaign to third parties and convince them that Gamecube will be easier to develop for and more cost efficient.

Once the Gamecube is released, tons of games that would be made for PS2 will be made for Gamecube as well. Sony no longer gets game exclusivety, so people won't have to buy a PS2 just to play certain games. Second, Nintendo must win back the mind's of the gamers. Today, the N64 is known as a "kiddy" system because there are too many "cute" games available. Well, that's because most of the games were made by Nintendo and Rare. If you think about it, that's how the Super NES was too. The only difference between the two systems was that the mature games were supplied by the third parties on the SNES. Since the N64 didn't have many third party supporters, the system didn't have that many mature games, and all that was left were the Nintendo-made games.

Winning back the third parties will bring back their mature games, which, in turn, bring back the older gamers. Nintendo increases it's userbase, loses the "kiddy" moniker, and continues to make family-oriented games. More and more developers make games for the system. This continues until finally, the outcome of the war is decided by exclusive 1st and 2nd party titles as well as the occasional mega-selling 3rd party title (Final Fantasy). Hopefully, Nintendo is doing all of this and more. If they are, Sony's not going to be the market leader for long. X-Box and Dreamcast will be crushed as an extra bonus. We'll see if this happens in the coming years...

Mon 08/01/01 at 12:48
i think we should make a SR anagram with the regular users on this site and the first person to get all say 50 right wins a gameaday prize.
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
For outside in

ion suited

For The Water

wet hearth

So it's not an anagram then?
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:51
Regular
ok, searching.....
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:46
why don't you do that what is inside out of that the game did.
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:46
Regular
Mine came back as

Stratify enemas or Fit any steamers. I thought the second was quite apt.
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:44
Regular
ok I'll stop. I tried Grix's name but the best it could do was

rash grit vex
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:41
now your scaring me
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:37
Regular
or

old hen groin

with a 3 word search.
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:35
Regular
lol
Sun 07/01/01 at 23:34
Regular
It's AnagramFun.com, your name on a two word search gives:

rhino longed
login horned
lingo horned
older honing
groin holden
rhino golden
loon herding
led honoring

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.