GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are we all Retards?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/01/03 at 15:32
Regular
Before some cleverclogs thinks they're really witty and says "No but you are"...I consider myself to be relatively intelligent, I've got a tested IQ of 130 and work as a Financial Technical Support Analyst for a Large European Company. However if there were to be a massive war and millions of people were to die for example, would I or indeed any of us really be able to bring the world back to it's technological state at present?

If you look around you at everyday objects, like me you probably don't care how they work, they just do. Take the internet for example...I'm writing this because I'm pressing the lettered keys on the keyboard, but how would you build something that is able to recognise it and the instantly transfer it onto a screen? As many of you are probably computer experts, you're probably thinking that this would be easier to build that watching an episode of baywatch. BUT, if it wasn't a case of buying the parts but actually making the microchips, making the silicone that the microchips are made out of etc could you actually do it?

It came to me you see, that my car needed some paint work done on one of the bumpers after a women driver (who else!) decided that she'd reverse into me whilst I was driving past her car. I took my car into a Peugeot dealers to have the paintwork touched up where the point of impact was, and I thought to myself...how do they actually make the paint, whats in it, how do they know what ingredients to use. Then I started to think, how does my car actually work, you put your foot on the gas pedal to go, on the brake to stop, and the clutch to change gear...yeah I thought...but how does it actually work. Now my mechanical skills go as far as being able to fill the thing up with petrol and being able to fill the windscreen wiper fluid up...other than that I'm as useful as a used teabag.

I got home and started to look around the house, the TV...how in the hell can pictures be transported through radiowaves...it doesn't seem logical! You don't walk down the street seeing these radiowaves, you don't feel them - How do you know they're actually there? A DVD...how can pictures be stored on a piece of plastic, how would you even know how to put them onto a DVD disc. You may very well think, 'I'll put it in the DVD writer', but how does that actually work?

If something ever happened to the population of this world, and I was one of the few survivors....the rest of you would be knackered...For example, I know that there are pieces of hot wire that heat up when a toaster is switched on, but how do you know 1) what wire metal to use 2) What tells it to heat up 3) What stops the wire overheating?....if you think thats easy enough to answer look around you at even little thinks like a pen - how's the ink put into it, do you know how to make the ink or the plastic tube, or what metal is used for the ball-point nib? Telephones - how does your voice go from one place to another in complete clarity?

It's all very well people inventing new things but do they know what makes them work, or is it a case of thats what is used, so that's what we'll use? I defy anyone to look around themselves and think that they know how everything is built/made etc....if you do know then I wish you well on your quest for world domination...and as for me, I'm off to go and resit my 11+ exams!
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:32
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Before some cleverclogs thinks they're really witty and says "No but you are"...I consider myself to be relatively intelligent, I've got a tested IQ of 130 and work as a Financial Technical Support Analyst for a Large European Company. However if there were to be a massive war and millions of people were to die for example, would I or indeed any of us really be able to bring the world back to it's technological state at present?

If you look around you at everyday objects, like me you probably don't care how they work, they just do. Take the internet for example...I'm writing this because I'm pressing the lettered keys on the keyboard, but how would you build something that is able to recognise it and the instantly transfer it onto a screen? As many of you are probably computer experts, you're probably thinking that this would be easier to build that watching an episode of baywatch. BUT, if it wasn't a case of buying the parts but actually making the microchips, making the silicone that the microchips are made out of etc could you actually do it?

It came to me you see, that my car needed some paint work done on one of the bumpers after a women driver (who else!) decided that she'd reverse into me whilst I was driving past her car. I took my car into a Peugeot dealers to have the paintwork touched up where the point of impact was, and I thought to myself...how do they actually make the paint, whats in it, how do they know what ingredients to use. Then I started to think, how does my car actually work, you put your foot on the gas pedal to go, on the brake to stop, and the clutch to change gear...yeah I thought...but how does it actually work. Now my mechanical skills go as far as being able to fill the thing up with petrol and being able to fill the windscreen wiper fluid up...other than that I'm as useful as a used teabag.

I got home and started to look around the house, the TV...how in the hell can pictures be transported through radiowaves...it doesn't seem logical! You don't walk down the street seeing these radiowaves, you don't feel them - How do you know they're actually there? A DVD...how can pictures be stored on a piece of plastic, how would you even know how to put them onto a DVD disc. You may very well think, 'I'll put it in the DVD writer', but how does that actually work?

If something ever happened to the population of this world, and I was one of the few survivors....the rest of you would be knackered...For example, I know that there are pieces of hot wire that heat up when a toaster is switched on, but how do you know 1) what wire metal to use 2) What tells it to heat up 3) What stops the wire overheating?....if you think thats easy enough to answer look around you at even little thinks like a pen - how's the ink put into it, do you know how to make the ink or the plastic tube, or what metal is used for the ball-point nib? Telephones - how does your voice go from one place to another in complete clarity?

It's all very well people inventing new things but do they know what makes them work, or is it a case of thats what is used, so that's what we'll use? I defy anyone to look around themselves and think that they know how everything is built/made etc....if you do know then I wish you well on your quest for world domination...and as for me, I'm off to go and resit my 11+ exams!
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:39
Did you do one of those IQ tests on the net?

I got a score of 147 so it must be a load of old........
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:51
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Mr Lover Man wrote:
> I've got a tested IQ of 130 and work as a Financial Technical Support
> Analyst for a Large European Company.

which company be this? Nintendo :)
...not ....not Microsoft? :O
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:55
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
DSG...I'd never work for Microsoft...the Darkside
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Tallulah wrote:
> Did you do one of those IQ tests on the net?
>
> I got a score of 147 so it must be a load of old........

No mine was a test done for the job that i do! Mind you i think 150 or so is MENSA isn't it...so you're almost there!
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:59
"Darkness, always"
All I ever hear is "I got xxx in an IQ test". IQ tests mean nothing. Before I did two A-Levels in maths, I would get 120+ on most IQ tests put before me.

After doing two A-Levels in Maths, I can easilly get well over 150.

What does that tell you? It's not measuring intelligence, only knowledge. If such a test had been given to the Greeks before they had figured out the fundamentals of maths, they would have come across as utter retards.

But they weren't...

Bloody IQ tests indeed.
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> All I ever hear is "I got xxx in an IQ test". IQ tests mean
> nothing.

In real terms it means absolutely squat, as common sense serves you better and less people have got it!!!
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:10
"Darkness, always"
Mr Lover Man wrote:
> In real terms it means absolutely squat, as common sense serves you
> better and less people have got it!!!

Something of a contradiction don't you think?
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:12
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
On the same subject (not IQ's although my IQ is around the 130 mark according to that foolish test on the net) my dad can't understand how mobile phones work. He doesn't understand how one person could have a small bit of equipment and speak to someone across the other side of the planet. We take so many things for granted in life and yet, if we actually sat down to think about it, everything that is invented these days has only one purpose - to speed up our lives. We're constantly looking for ways to save time and do things quicker and as technological discoveries change our lives, I can't help but think that we're missing out on actually enjoying life in a free and simplistic way.

Hmmm...I just read that back to myself and it sounds a bit strange...but I'm going to post it anyway...
Tue 28/01/03 at 16:16
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Mr Lover Man wrote:
> In real terms it means absolutely squat, as common sense serves you
> better and less people have got it!!!
>
> Something of a contradiction don't you think?

A contradiction in terms of that real life is based on and around common sense where as, as you point out IQ test means nothing! I am mearly agreeing that an IQ test doesn't prove your intellignece (read the post again) as the national average is 90-110 yet as mine is higher than that, by an IQ test I'm classed as intelligent - yet i know little about the things i mention in the post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.