GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Xbox is Killing My Controllers [a problem, by the way]"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/09/05 at 17:19
Regular
This is the first time I've ever actually posted a problem on here, or actually anywhere on the internet, but this thing is starting to annoy me quite a bit. Let me explain.

About 4 months ago, I started to get problems with the controller S that came with my Xbox that I'd bought 2 years before then. What happened is that the controller would stop working at random times. To try and find the route of the problem, I plugged in my Live headset because of the LED it has, and it turned out the controller would only work when held in certain positions. Bit strange really. Anyway, this got worse over time until the controller effectively died, at which time I swapped to the other Controller S I had which hadn't been used all that much before. It was fine for a few days, but then the exact same thing happened again.

Anyway, after being suitably peeved after my 2 long standing controller S's has broken within the space of a week or so, I went and got a new Xbox controller. Fearing the same problem might come back, I bought a reasonably cheapo Gameware controller, which was actually alright for the next 4 months, up until today when I was upgrading my PEC characters skills in Lockdown. The same 'only works when held in random positions' bug has come back, and it's p!ssing me off getting invites and not being able to reply to them.

This problem just seems a bit strange to have occurred 3 times in a row. Since I'm not the type to throw my controller about the room either, it should still be working. It's as if my Xbox can't supply power to the controller. To me, it seems more likely that the problem's with my Xbox, what with it
a) being old
b) it often telling me brand new Dvds are scratched and not playing them

And before you ask (If you even do), I 'cleaned' the drive with one of those CD cleaners the other day. Not that it made much difference.

Sorry about the long post, I really just want to know what you think. Maybe there's something than can be done, but I doubt it. I'll probably just have to hold out until the 360's released.
Thu 15/09/05 at 14:31
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
Put your xbox console on the bin then you wont have a single problem!
Tue 13/09/05 at 23:23
Regular
Thanks for the advice people. As for the wires, I fold them up in the same way they came tied up when I first opened the box.

I just got a new Logic 3 controller for £9.99, and I've decided to use in Port 2 (in the vain hope that it might make a difference). The actual controller is really not that bad though, feels less cumbersome than the Gameware one. Still, it'd have been nice if the other one hadn't broken in the first place. I'm just hoping this one will last up until the 360 comes out.
Mon 12/09/05 at 21:16
Regular
Out of interest, who do you think I was talking to?
Mon 12/09/05 at 19:23
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Bullett wrote:
> Nobody cares what you think. Stop posting on these forums.

I care.

Why don't you just ignore him?
Mon 12/09/05 at 17:59
Regular
Bullett wrote:
> Stop posting on these forums.
Mon 12/09/05 at 17:56
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
bullet sshh
Mon 12/09/05 at 17:15
Regular
Nobody cares what you think. Stop posting on these forums.
Mon 12/09/05 at 17:14
Regular
"Da num.01 rapper"
It's not your xbox thats is breaking yor controllers it's inside the controller on the cable thats ripps inside, I had to buy a new controller because this was what happen to my xbox controller s official.
Sun 11/09/05 at 18:54
Regular
"8==="
Had this recently with a 3rd party controller.

The connection where the wire enters the controller went and was un-fixable after a week or so since I first noticed the problem.

Maybe buy a wireless one next time? They're only about 14 quid now.
Sun 11/09/05 at 17:33
Regular
If it isn't supposed to go there it could cause damage. If it doesn't matter then I'll use my CD cleaner (as the lens has had some problems reading the games recently)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.