GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hard Drive problems!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/01/03 at 21:52
Regular
Aaaargh I'm morphing into ftozzi hellllllp

I recently bought a new motherboard, into which I plugged two hard disks - a 40GB IBM and a 40GB Western Digital. Everything works okay, except Windows insists on setting the transfer mode of the IBM disk to PIO, rather than UDMA100/133. This has the effect of pulverising my CPU whenever I try to load any programs, or play any mp3s, or do anything that involves sustained transfer from the IBM disk. BIOS is set to auto-detect everything, and reports the disk as ATA100. The WD drive works fine - it gets reported as ATA100 by the BIOS, and is set to UDMA5 in Windows. Nothing I do, however, seems to convert the IBM disk away from PIO. I tried the disk in another machine, and it was set to PIO there as well.

Now these IBM disks are prone to failures, although this one in particular has served me faultlessly for almost two years now. Could the refusal to work in UDMA mode be the first signs of Hard Disk senility?
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:52
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Aaaargh I'm morphing into ftozzi hellllllp

I recently bought a new motherboard, into which I plugged two hard disks - a 40GB IBM and a 40GB Western Digital. Everything works okay, except Windows insists on setting the transfer mode of the IBM disk to PIO, rather than UDMA100/133. This has the effect of pulverising my CPU whenever I try to load any programs, or play any mp3s, or do anything that involves sustained transfer from the IBM disk. BIOS is set to auto-detect everything, and reports the disk as ATA100. The WD drive works fine - it gets reported as ATA100 by the BIOS, and is set to UDMA5 in Windows. Nothing I do, however, seems to convert the IBM disk away from PIO. I tried the disk in another machine, and it was set to PIO there as well.

Now these IBM disks are prone to failures, although this one in particular has served me faultlessly for almost two years now. Could the refusal to work in UDMA mode be the first signs of Hard Disk senility?
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:53
Regular
"bing bang bong"
And yes TN, I am ripping off your sig :p
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:07
Regular
What Operating system are you using?, also is there no way of enabling DMA in the properties menu.

c.b.
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No-one should appologise for having that sig :D

Can you believe I was listening to it when I clicked on this post? :D
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Have you tried forcing it in your BIOS?
Tue 28/01/03 at 00:48
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Operating system is Windows XP. It gives you the choice, for each device, of "PIO Only" or "DMA Where Available". Forcing the BIOS to a particular DMA mode seems to work on the BIOS report screen (where you get stats about processor, memory banks, etc), but in Windows it just switches back to PIO. There is no way to disable PIO in BIOS either - you either get the choice of a particular mode, or just "Auto".
Tue 28/01/03 at 01:08
Regular
Do both hard drives have windows xp on them?, as i had a problem when i had 2 harddrives and both had windows xp on them, only the primary boot hard drive is activated and the otherone isnt so when you try booting from the other one it will not see it, this hard drive needs to be activated but not in windows as that can cause major problems and both drives will not work (belive me it happened to me).

c.b.
Tue 28/01/03 at 02:44
Regular
"bing bang bong"
No, the IBM disk has the boot partition and another FAT32 partition on it, the WD drive is one big FAT32 partition full of movies and stuff. Both are on the same cable, which is quite new, so the cable isn't at fault. I just ran a drive testing program (which operates from a DOS environment) and it reported the hard disk in good condition and set to UDMA-5. The mystery continues..
Fri 31/01/03 at 03:55
"Lemon eyewash"
hmmmm could be a windows prob, there was a fix for XP for reporting HDD sizes wrong so it could be an XP thing.

otherwise why don't you try switch the HDD over to master and slave a DVD drive or something?
Fri 31/01/03 at 18:13
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Nothing would get the damned thing working in the end, so its replacement is in the post...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.