GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The End Is Nigh..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/01/01 at 19:05
Regular
As most people can obviously see, the N64s life is slowly drawing to a close... After 4 years of (mostly) quality games, and some of the most memorable adventures and characters on any consoles, the big Ns curtain call is finnaly looming.

Being released at the same time as the Playstation and the Saturn (almost) the N64 was hailed the most powerful games console on earth and constantly pumped out game after game of absoulute quality... Super Mario 64, The worlds first truly 3D platformer, Pilotwings 64, Something that showed the N64s superior graphical capability, Mario Kart 64, A landmark in the new breed of racing game and Wave Race 64, an atmospheric racer with more depth than a tidal wave. (no pun intended!)

Yes, the N64 seemed to have everything. Graphics to die for, no loading times, and because of this, amazing musical scores which changed and adapted to suit the mood of the level and location.

But something was wrong. From the start, games prices became the bane of any N64 owners life. £50 for a single game became too much for just a couple weeks worth of gameplay. The N64s sales rates reflected this. No longer were people as impressed with its games because of the numerous remarkable attempts at games of epic proportions made by supporters of the 32bit companies.

The N64 combatted this, slowly, but surely, with the release of some of the most amazing games of the millenium. Goldeneye, possibly the most critically acclaimed 1st person shooter EVER, it became THE console equivalent of Quake, and prooved that shoot 'em ups were indeed suited just as much to a console with a 3D stick as to a PC with a mouse and a keyboard. As well as this, F-Zero X, maybe the fastest racing game ever, with lighting fast framerates and a random track generator was released to show the beginning of the N64s master plan to show people games were about quality, not quantity. Then as a way to trample Segas attempts at Sonic, and Sonys attempts at Crash, Banjo-Kazooie was unveiled and wowed everyone who saw it. Using what was called the most original idea for a character ever, (2-in-1) it used an amazing graphics engine, similar to Marios before it to create huge levels, jam packed with more things to do than you can shake a stick at. Then as the grand finnale, the long awaited Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released, slaughtering all competition and showing that action RPGs were made for the N64.

Slowly, more people became attracted to the N64, while the Sega Saturn crashed and burned, the N64s only rival was the Playstation, one which was slowly becoming the choice of consoles.

People often disregarded the N64 for purchase because of its more kiddified image, as opposed to the Playstations more adult themed games.

But again, the N64 fought back throwing games like Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, one of the goriest shooters ever, and Shadowman, one of the most spooky, atmospheric and downright difficult 3D adventures to ever grace this earth.

Still though, the N64s reputation struggled against the almighty Playstation which built up a huge database of users, almost double that of the N64s. People were bowled over by the Playstations billions of games, and ignored the N64s quality titles like Body Harvest, a B-Movie Extroardinare, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Sci-Fi shooter of epic proportions, and Diddy Kong Racing, a sure fire Mario Kart beater, and the new standard for all cartoony racers.

With the Saturn out of the way, and only the Playstation as a real rival, the N64s future looked bright, but was hindered, yet again because of the release of the 128bit Dreamcast. Newer and better graphics pulled away some of the N64s customers, but not too long after, Sega faced financial difficulties, and a Nintendo only developer, Rareware, suddenly went into overdrive releasing Donkey Kong 64, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark one after another in quick succesion. Sales boosted greatly and the N64 seemed to be making its come back as people quickly rushed and bought the N64s expansion pack, just to play the marvel that was Perfect Dark. Its amazing multiplayer, singleplayer and a whole wealth of options ensured that people were kept on the edge of their seats because of this Rare classic.

But with the Playstation 2 looming on the horizon and the Dreamcast fighting back with games like Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, the N64 could not settle for long.

Mario Tennis and International Superstar Soccer 2000 satisfied any sports fans needs, catering for a Nintendo area of gaming never fully filled untill now. Of course, people who had finished Zelda: Ocarina of Time wanted more, and more and more, so the sequel, Zelda: Majoras Mask was released to again be hailed as a grade A game which blew all competition out of the water.

For this short while the N64 was king but slowly, as the Playstation and the Playstation 2 yet again formed attacks, the N64 knew that its life was almost over.

And that brings us to now... The N64 with a release list barely worth mentioning (about 20 more games destined to be released) and users slowly dropping and being converted by that black box known as the Playstation, big old Mr. Nintendo had an Idea. The Next generation marvel that will be the Gamecube. Affordable software due to the new CD format and a line-up of release games set to be released in summer in the land of the rising sun, it seems that once again that Nintendos future will be bright. And with the release of the Game Boy Advance soon after the Gamecube it looks as if gaming will be taken to new levels by the founders of it... As an ending note, Thank you Nintendo for brightening the corner of my life which is know as Video Gaming. Even if you are going to use the tried and tested format of quality not quantity, I'll stick by you whatever happens.

Sun 07/01/01 at 22:44
Regular
Me first.
Sun 07/01/01 at 22:43
Regular
> said, "thats more like a couple or a few to that person who
> said "there are loads of these N64 posts" ME?

Sun 07/01/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
£190
Sun 07/01/01 at 20:45
In case a few dozers didn't get it, I said I had LOADS of games. I said, "thats more like a couple or a few to that person who said "there are loads of these N64 posts" Therefore I was correcting him not me... Most people probably already knew that, but for the few people who didn't, that is what I meant... AS for the price on the saturn and about 25-30 games, a gun, analogue pad, memory cart anyone got any ideas of the price I should charge?
Sun 07/01/01 at 16:52
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I hope that we see better textures on the NGC, I mean the N64 was all well and good but I think that even some of the PR textures we no where near as they could have been, I think that although gamplay is the most important factor I still think that the way you see a game good bad, fun, boring has a very big swing interms of whether you think a game is fun to play. If PD was black and White then it would be less of a game because you wouldn't have as much fun playing it as you do because it is in colour.

The Game

PS: You know that this all makes sense!

Sun 07/01/01 at 16:45
Regular
Couple = 2-3 and crosses into the domain of a few if exaggerated. Sorry, I missed the 2- out on the last post. Glad we've got that cleared up.
Sun 07/01/01 at 14:38
Regular
Anyway FM, surely a couple is two?
Sun 07/01/01 at 14:38
Regular
1-5 = Few.
6-9 = Many.
10-15 = Quite a few.
16-20 = Loads.
20+ = S**tloads.
Sun 07/01/01 at 13:04
I would not be able to price these games or console so give me a proper price
Sun 07/01/01 at 10:08
Regular
Couple = 3
Few = 3 or 4
Some = 5 or 6
Lots = 7+

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.