GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP - Central Database Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/01/03 at 23:54
Regular
Hey,

Basically, i've been asked to help out a family friend by designing a site for a Football Referee's society.

As well as posting news articles, the person whom i've designed the site for wants to be able to update all the various pages as and when the information changes.

At the moment, as i'm a novice with most things of this nature, i've just setup a basic NEWS POSTING PHP system, which outputs the posts as a text file. So, i've literally got one of these news posting systems for each page of the site, so that when the guy updates the information, it's output as a text file, and then served into the PHP page when people access it.

This is fine, but as we've a lot of pages that he wants to update quite regularly, it's a nuisance having so many news posting databases, especially when their not really designed for the purpose for which i'm using them.

Can anyone suggest a way I could possibly centralise all the things that he may want to update in one database, or text-file or something?

I also want to be able to run a poll off the main site, and again am currently using a simple PHP program for this. Obviously it'd be asking a lot to integrate this into the same setup, but if possible it would be nice to have the whole thing running through one administration board.

Most solutions i've currently found concern SQL, something i know absoloutely NOTHING about, and from what I gather is costly to setup and run.

So, what can I do?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks,
Mon 27/01/03 at 21:04
Regular
"http://fabio2003.tk"
errr.i dont know
Sun 26/01/03 at 23:54
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Hey,

Basically, i've been asked to help out a family friend by designing a site for a Football Referee's society.

As well as posting news articles, the person whom i've designed the site for wants to be able to update all the various pages as and when the information changes.

At the moment, as i'm a novice with most things of this nature, i've just setup a basic NEWS POSTING PHP system, which outputs the posts as a text file. So, i've literally got one of these news posting systems for each page of the site, so that when the guy updates the information, it's output as a text file, and then served into the PHP page when people access it.

This is fine, but as we've a lot of pages that he wants to update quite regularly, it's a nuisance having so many news posting databases, especially when their not really designed for the purpose for which i'm using them.

Can anyone suggest a way I could possibly centralise all the things that he may want to update in one database, or text-file or something?

I also want to be able to run a poll off the main site, and again am currently using a simple PHP program for this. Obviously it'd be asking a lot to integrate this into the same setup, but if possible it would be nice to have the whole thing running through one administration board.

Most solutions i've currently found concern SQL, something i know absoloutely NOTHING about, and from what I gather is costly to setup and run.

So, what can I do?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.