GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who agrees that the PS2 is utter pants and it is trashing the games scene"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/01/01 at 12:36
Regular
The release of th PS2 was a complete disappointment, 165,000 units promised by Sony and only 80,000 were delivered hardly a company that have respect and commitement for the U.K or Europe market. Most people seem to be blind by this because of the selfish mentality of "oh i managed to get mine ok" well inactual fact it is not ok, if Sony promised those units they should come up with the goods, other companies have managed it in the passed when they've had to deal with big launches. This just shows how sony cannot deal with and do not have the resources to compete long term in the ever expanding world of video games, they are just pretenders to the throne and their propaganda, bulls**t and lies will be found out soon enough, they just think that a good image will sell their console alone, well it won't, sony are not in it for the welfare of good games but to make money and monopolize yet another market, its not games creators behind sony but the business man and this is a traversty that we all need to expose.
The games on launch are hardly ground breaking either, they have not even changed since the launch of the original playstation 5 years ago, who the hell wants to play reincarnations of tied franchises such as Ridge Racer, Tekken Tag, and half arsed games rushed to completion just to met the release of PS2. The only game that is pant wettingly exciting is Metal Gear Solid 2, but that is just one game and by God there should be a truck load of great games out by now, after all Sony have had long enough. A**e.
Tue 09/01/01 at 19:38
"High polygon count"
>There is no emotion to making a brick. : )

Depends what bakes your cake... there are some odd people in this world...

> Playstation, but they
> do not respect Sony for games, as much as they respect Nintendo and
> Sega.

Quite possibly, and probably true... but as I said, the others have been around longer, and we all have to start somewhere.

> True gamers, anyway... :0)

Why I oughtta... :-)
Tue 09/01/01 at 17:08
Regular
I agree with everything you said...

Bar this:
I bet you'd think it was the best thing since sliced bread!

:0)

Anyway, on your last point, you're not seeing the point I'm trying to make... You see, you are using businesses, and another artform, as examples...

There is no emotion to making a brick. : )
But the arrangement of bricks can be called an art, so possibly the arguement is slightly flawed...

Anyway. The point is, gamers appricated the market being made larger by the Playstation, but they do not respect Sony for games, as much as they respect Nintendo and Sega.

True gamers, anyway... :0)
Tue 09/01/01 at 01:21
"High polygon count"
> Right, sorry Wookiee, but you've started me
> off.

No need to apologise; you're probably right. Sega and Ninty have been making games for far longer, though, so it's a valid point.

For the record, and to avoid any confusion, this is not a rant, and should be read in the tone of a light-hearted discussion with a good friend...

Young blokes have always wanted to play games, but not to be seen as childish in doing so. Sony's "cool" PlayStation gave them that ability, and in doing so tapped a previously overlooked market with an above-average disposable income.

It was simply an ingenious piece of market research/trend prediction, and the ability to get the right product, in the right place, at the right time.

As was pointed out a while ago, possibly by you Grix, PlayStation was originally a combined effort between Sony and Nintendo - a CD add-on for the SNES, I think it was supposed to be. Nintendo pulled out, thinking - for whatever reason - it was a bad idea that wouldn't sell. How wrong they were.

I have nothing against Nintendo, but my honest opinion is that this is where Nintendo really cocked up, and that they must have kicked themselves in the butt 24/7 for at least the first year after PlayStation took off. PlayStation could and should have been their baby, playing their games. And if it was, I bet you'd think it was the best thing since sliced bread! :-) Nintendo have only themselves to blame, IMHO.

Anyway, getting back on topic... personally it makes no difference to me who produces a game. Sega and Nintendo have always made games - it's always been their primary business, and it's what their empires were built on, so you should expect good games.

Sony are a different set-up altogether, in that they've never been a games company by trade.

The London Brick Co. make quality bricks, but it doesn't bother me that they don't build houses... but I would be peeved if Barratt Homes sold me a mud hut. (You figure it out!)
Mon 08/01/01 at 21:12
Regular
RANT WARNING!

Right, sorry Wookiee, but you've started me off.

Firstly, I, and I know many gamers alike, see games not as a business, but an artform. Although that undoubtfully sounds very geeky, I believe it happens to be true.

Nintendo make games as well as consoles, unlike Sony, which is probably why people get annoyed with them. Before you scream out "Fantasvision!" and other classics :)... I know about them, but compared to the games that Sega and Nintendo produce themselves, it's meer childplay.

Pop groups make songs for money. They rise above the rest by making songs with no emotion, and making money as a fad, from children. After they make enough money, which seems to be never enough these days, they fade away again.

If there is real emotion in a game I use, I do not expect the game to be primarly made for money. Art is something that exists in many mediums, and the purpose of art is to show what you what they are capable of, and to try and raise respect by doing so.

Making money by doing a job you love is great for two reasons. 1) You will make money for doing something you like. And 2) You will work better in this job than any other, simply because you work harder at something if you enjoy doing so.

Am I saying that Sony don't enjoy making games? Yes, I am. If they did, I'm pretty certain quite a few more would come out of their doors, and they wouldn't be as unemotional, ironic as it seems.

Now I believe the actual Playstation 2 to be a good thing, as it is basically a new medium for artists to show their work on, but I certainly do not believe that Sony have anywhere near the respect that Nintendo and Sega deserve, certainly not from me anyway.
Mon 08/01/01 at 14:54
Another point -

Companies need to make money for R&D for future products.

Also they need to make a good profit to keep the share holders happy. If profits are not sufficiently high (or if there is a loss), then overheads may need to be cut down. One of the worst cases being redundancies. Which could also lead to less R&D.

So as well as making the fat cats fatter, money does help the wellbeing of the company and it's products.
Mon 08/01/01 at 14:20
"High polygon count"
> I think that you have all misquoted me I never said anyone is 'sick'

I don't think anyone claimed to be quoting you.

> and all your points about no games company are in it for the money
> are tross, Nintendo have been out of the market for a year or so now

So no N64's, GB's, or any Nintendo related games have been sold for a year or more, and Nintendo haven't made a penny?

> and yet they manage to produce a sterling game now and then (zelda,
> sin and punishment) and if they were in it for the money then don't
> you think they would do something more drastic than they are at the
> moment.

They've been developing the GameCube. I'd say that was a pretty major thing.

> It is quite sad that the people that replied to this topic
> are so money oriented and you claim to be games players and fans
> alike,

Simply stating that companies are out to make money does not make us money-oriented. It's a simple fact: business is primarily about making money.

> what future has games got if people like you are so quick to
> get rid of £300 + so readily.

The same future they always had. Just because we don't draw the same conclusions as you does not mean the death of the games industry.

> In my mind you seem to be tech
> heads that just want to get their hands on someting new because its
> Sony but its not even that good at the moment.

I personally bought it because it has some fairly solid games out at the moment, if not groundbreaking titles, and has huge promise for the future. I certainly didn't buy it "because it's Sony".

> I am not prepared to
> waste £300 on a console that has nothing new to offer,

That's your opinion and your choice, which most of us here would respect. Shame you can't do the same, really.

> And do you think I
> would put this discussion on without actually playing a PS2 for
> myself

It wasn't really a discussion, though, was it? More of an anti-Sony rant, which was littered with bias, arrogance, self-opinionated nonsense, and a few misinformed comments, and a sprinkling of downright stupidity.

> I think you underestimate my position.

I don't think we could.
Mon 08/01/01 at 13:48
I think that you have all misquoted me I never said anyone is 'sick' and all your points about no games company are in it for the money are tross, Nintendo have been out of the market for a year or so now and yet they manage to produce a sterling game now and then (zelda, sin and punishment) and if they were in it for the money then don't you think they would do something more drastic than they are at the moment. It is quite sad that the people that replied to this topic are so money oriented and you claim to be games players and fans alike, what future has games got if people like you are so quick to get rid of £300 + so readily. In my mind you seem to be tech heads that just want to get their hands on someting new because its Sony but its not even that good at the moment. I am not prepared to waste £300 on a console that has nothing new to offer, a console is only as good as its games, and so it amazes me how you lot can be so quick to justify the high cost.

And do you think I would put this discussion on without actually playing a PS2 for myself I think you underestimate my position. Enjoy nuddy
Fri 05/01/01 at 23:00
ok thanx Wookiee Monster
Fri 05/01/01 at 22:58
"High polygon count"
>I dont care cos ill log on as a new email so :p on them :)

You may not care, but some of us do. Don't sink to their level, and don't give them the satisfaction of winding you up.

If we all just ignore the posts, they won't come back and do it again; they only do it to provoke that type of response... it's what they consider fun.
Fri 05/01/01 at 22:45
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> Vai, calm down will you. We know these trolls are annoying, but
> there's no need for that kind of response. And you'll only serve to
> get yourself barred from the forums anyway.

I dont care cos ill log on as a new email so :p on them :) its just so annoying that they are dissing a console they have never played themselfs, ps SSX kicks ass<

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.