GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Age of Empires 3 demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Age of Empires 3'.
Thu 15/09/05 at 18:36
Regular
"That's right!"
Downloaded it yesterday, played it a bit this morning and a bit just now (day off - I don't stick my computer on before I go to work in case you're wondering)

Same basic formula, the hero/explorer thing works well. Same problems though, as by the time you've got the best units you've already won and you're just delaying the inevitable. Building up a squad of red coats and marching them into a Spanish settlement, with cannon and mortar support, is very cool.

I'm still getting to grips with the new interface but I can't seem to find any options for formation and stuff like that, but then I can't even find where the population limit is shown.

Shipments from home is another good idea, as is the trade routes, though is it me, or do the native Americans er, not exist? When it says I've saved one they're not there (stuck up a tree or caught by smuggler dudes) and when I train them they don't actually come out of any building. Madness.

I'd be buying AOE 3 even without playing the demo, and while it's not a massive leap (3D graphics are largely useless, like in all 3D RTS games) it's still Age of Empires, which is always a good thing.
Sun 18/09/05 at 20:33
Regular
"That's right!"
I was about to order it when I noticed there's a collector's edition. The site I was on didn't say what was so special about it compared to the regular one.

Does it just have a nice foldy poster, a book and maybe even some making of stuff?
Sun 18/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I'm a big Age of Empires fan and will definately be buying this. Hopefully by the time the finished game comes out all the aforementioned bugs will be sorted.
Fri 16/09/05 at 16:32
Regular
"\\"
When I put a trading post and tried making some natives, they were invisible (I could see their weapons and shadows), and I couldn't select them.

But then apparantly there's been masses of bug fixes since the demo was released.
Thu 15/09/05 at 20:45
Regular
If you build trade posts on native American settlements, you can create native units you know.

EDIT: Just read the post properly, I mourn my 'tardness :(
Thu 15/09/05 at 20:06
Regular
"That's right!"
They're not there, that's my point. They're not up the trees, they're not anywhere. In the first game they were there, albeit invisible half the time, in the second game I played they just weren't on the map, no matter how many I rescued or trained.

And the priests walk almost upside down. Quality.
Thu 15/09/05 at 18:52
Don't know what you mean about the Native Americans - If you rescue them, once you kill the guardians all you have to do is right click the tree or whatever, then you can control them
Thu 15/09/05 at 18:36
Regular
"That's right!"
Downloaded it yesterday, played it a bit this morning and a bit just now (day off - I don't stick my computer on before I go to work in case you're wondering)

Same basic formula, the hero/explorer thing works well. Same problems though, as by the time you've got the best units you've already won and you're just delaying the inevitable. Building up a squad of red coats and marching them into a Spanish settlement, with cannon and mortar support, is very cool.

I'm still getting to grips with the new interface but I can't seem to find any options for formation and stuff like that, but then I can't even find where the population limit is shown.

Shipments from home is another good idea, as is the trade routes, though is it me, or do the native Americans er, not exist? When it says I've saved one they're not there (stuck up a tree or caught by smuggler dudes) and when I train them they don't actually come out of any building. Madness.

I'd be buying AOE 3 even without playing the demo, and while it's not a massive leap (3D graphics are largely useless, like in all 3D RTS games) it's still Age of Empires, which is always a good thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.