GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Editing .mov files"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/11/08 at 19:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Does anybody have any recommendations for free video editing software that is able to edit .mov (Apple Quicktime) video files? Nothing to fancy, just basic clipping and what not, similar to Windows Movie Maker.

I recently purchased the Panasonic DMCTZ5 Digital Camera - Black (9.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.0" LCD, which is a great camera, great photos and great video (it even manages HD video) but as the video files are .mov, I'm unable to edit them at the moment.
Fri 07/11/08 at 19:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Does anybody have any recommendations for free video editing software that is able to edit .mov (Apple Quicktime) video files? Nothing to fancy, just basic clipping and what not, similar to Windows Movie Maker.

I recently purchased the Panasonic DMCTZ5 Digital Camera - Black (9.1MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3.0" LCD, which is a great camera, great photos and great video (it even manages HD video) but as the video files are .mov, I'm unable to edit them at the moment.
Sat 08/11/08 at 11:24
"Are you sure?"
I'll let someone else answer your query about free .mov editing s/w as I'm only aware of paid for ones - unless you've got a Mac.

I also liked the look of this camera but after reading about the video format it's put me off a bit.

It looks as if your camera should come packaged with a version of "MotionDV STUDIO" which sounds like it should do what you want ? Did you get that and have you tried it?

But I would be inclined to convert to AVI rather than leave things as MOV as AVI seems to be a more flexible format!

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 11/11/08 at 05:35
Regular
I would agree with Hmmm that you convert to AVI and then you can use windows movie maker to edit your videos - Mrs Digi has a Panasonic that does quitime videos and she got SW with her camera - I will check up on that though and get back to you.

Digi
Tue 11/11/08 at 18:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oddly, the camera did come with some software, though I don't think it is "MotionDV STUDIO", but it doesn't seem to support .mov files, which is helpful.

As with most editing software you get timelines that allow you to drag and drop image and video files in the order you want them to appear, but trying to drag a .mov results in nothing happening, no error message, no beep, just nothing.

I'll have to go down the conversion route, which isn't so bad, unless of course you take a lot of video.

I'm impressed with the camera, and the video quality that comes from it. I'm not sure if there are many compact cameras that can take HD video, and the .mov format is a slight annoyance, but I'm happy with what I have.
Tue 11/11/08 at 18:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
What is "SW" digi?
Wed 12/11/08 at 09:53
Regular
SW (Digi short hand for software) her camera is the Panasonic TZ3 a predecessor of your camera - when we first got it and she was taking lots of video clips and I found a a bit of software that let you convert for free but limited to a max of 5mins per clip unless you paid, this was fine for her.
I have done a search just now and cant find that SW but found this

[link=http://www.download.com/Pazera-Free-MOV-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10798308.html] [/Free software]

Digi

PS she tends now to borrow my cannon IXIS when she wants video to save her hassle :)
Fri 14/11/08 at 18:44
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Ah, "software", I should have figured that one out on my own! Thanks for the link, I shall check it out.
Tue 16/12/08 at 17:37
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, I am a little embarrassed to admit that the software that came with the camera couldn't use the MOV files for a very good reason ...

... I hadn't installed Quicktime, ops.

I've installed it again, and Quicktime, and all in all it isn't too bad. Drag and drop time line, effects, etc, but you can export the final movie to MPEG or WMV (Windows Media Video), though I think you still need to export to MOV if you wish to use the high-quality HD video clips.

A good camera though, all in all, very pleased with it (have already scratched the screen though, double ops).
Tue 16/12/08 at 17:47
"Are you sure?"
Hmmm... wrote:
> It looks as if your camera should come packaged with a version
> of "MotionDV STUDIO" which sounds like it should
> do what you want ? Did you get that and have you tried it?

Glad to hear it works !!!

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 17/12/08 at 10:29
Regular
You can buy sticky film for the screen on ebay to aviod any further damge.

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.