GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dolby Digital"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/01/01 at 21:22
Regular
Wow! My ears are still ringing with the sound of Dobly 5.1. I witnessed this amazing sound around a friend's house today and it was fantastic! The quality of the sound was better than my nearest cinema and having a widescreen TV too, it was almost worth paying to get in (not that I was charged an entrance fee, but then I didn't get ice cream half way through the film either!).
Now I've come home to a lowly 24" TV and standard stereo DVD player it just doesn't seem the same as it used to. I think I may pop out and get me a new sound system...
Thu 18/01/01 at 19:41
I don't think my freinds would like me charging them to come into my room, but I know what you mean!
Tue 16/01/01 at 18:52
"possibly impossible"
Oh, I love the effects in the Matrix, but it's the subtle ones that I like best, like slowly building music which increases the tension without you even realising that it's there.

The whole thing about having a cinema feel to your front room is fantastic, but just to add to the reality, you should invite your friends around and then make tickets for them to give to you when they come in, make some popcorn and sell it to them at a stupidly high price and then sit in front of them with a large hat, coughing every time there is an important piece of diologue in the film. Then you should bring two friends in just after the start of the film and shine a torch so they can see their seats and so the film gets interrupted for everyone else. Just like the real thing!
Mon 15/01/01 at 22:22
Regular
Mission Impossible 2 is a excellent in Dolby, especially the shooting scenes, bullets sound like there going round the room, and the explosions make you jump hehe, dolby....a must
Mon 15/01/01 at 21:46
Apparently, to get good sound from the back two speakers you are supposed to "bounce" the sound off of the walls, they recommend either that the speakers face the wall or are turned upwards, to face the ceiling.
I agree though, it all makes the movie experience that much more enjoyable to have that cinema feel, I'm still envious of all of you who have it!
Sun 14/01/01 at 20:18
Regular
Yeah if you have 4 huge speakers, you really feel like your in the movie. You have bullets flying behind, the wind puffing above you, and the hoard of people around you in New York.
You feel more involved in the movie, films like the Blair Witch must be great with Surround sound.
It tingles in your back as you watch it suddenly some footsteps come thumping throught the back speakers and suddenly........scream!

The atmosphere created by Dolby is absolutely scary.
Sun 14/01/01 at 20:05
Regular
Hey chaps - I just wanted to tell you about "nice" sound snippets that can be found in films to satisfy your craving.

1. Back to the future - Beginning scene in house with clocks

2. Twister - Scene with tornado and cows which rotate around
your head !

3. The Matrix - Later scene when dodging bullets (look out
for the shot that goes from front to
back)

..I've found that some of the more obscure discs have the best Dolby Digital effects (like the "natural sounds of the
rainforest"). It's so realistic that you'll be biting the pillow (and it's very easy to down a complete tube of pringles !).

Word on the street is that those chaps @ Dolby are considering "flat-panel" loudspeaker to be added to the setup, mounted on the ceiling above the listeners head. Mind you...I can't imaging the on-screen q' for sound above your head...aybody seen an electic blue video ?

Well, I'm interested to hear if anybody else has any other good surround segments in films they want to share...
Fri 05/01/01 at 16:49
"possibly impossible"
I am aware of the power of Dobly surround and 5.1 sound on DVDs. I've just got myself a Grundig GVD520, which is a DVD player and Dolby amp all together in one neat package. After trying out the films on my old DVD player the new lease of life that the cinema quality sound gives is amazing.

Dolby makes a lot of difference. Take the Matrix, in standard stereo you hear the sounds of people running, shooting and talking in the left and right speakers. All very good until you take into account the fact that there is also a back and front as well as two sides to a story (if you get my meaning) With surround, the action can creep up from behind you, fly past your left ear into your right and whizz back round to the back again! Not only this, but you can shake your lounge with the nice subwoofer, blasting out bass sounds when any low noise is produced.

I will never need to go to the cinema again. Heck, I wouldn't even leave the house again if I could get away with it, 5.1 sound has really made a difference to my enjoyment of films and it's all thanks to DVD.
Wed 03/01/01 at 21:22
Wow! My ears are still ringing with the sound of Dobly 5.1. I witnessed this amazing sound around a friend's house today and it was fantastic! The quality of the sound was better than my nearest cinema and having a widescreen TV too, it was almost worth paying to get in (not that I was charged an entrance fee, but then I didn't get ice cream half way through the film either!).
Now I've come home to a lowly 24" TV and standard stereo DVD player it just doesn't seem the same as it used to. I think I may pop out and get me a new sound system...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.