GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Young British "tourists", what the hell is wrong with you?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/01/03 at 12:40
Regular
Ayia Napa, Magaluf, Benidorm; what do these destinations say to you? Sandy beaches, quaint fishing villages, little market towns? Rowdy British tourists, drunk eighteen year old tarts with less clothes on than in an Olympic swimming gala. British "lad culture" has destroyed many european destinations which were once pleasent cultured Mediterranean villages. Since the introduction of the package holidays and holidays abroad, in about the 1970's places like these have gone down hill, well in my opinion. If you like clubs, drugs, alcohol, dirty streets, crime, and a general sense of UK disculture, it all looks dandy for you. What i'm trying to get at here is i feel its just a tad unfair of young british lads and ladettes to go and create multiple UK saturday night destinations around Europe.

Ok lets look on the plus sides for these destinations. They get a bundle of money in every tourist season through teenagers wasting away their money on booze and nightclubs. Its the highest earning trade for many of these destinations, but who is actually getting this money? The British. British bar men and the like go over to such honeypots and set up bars, restaurantes and nightclubs for the British "holiday makers" to come over. Most of the people who once lived in these villages have either been driven out because of falling profits from traditional industries like fishing and craft works, of have been forced to change their industry to suit us. What would you do if one of our (too few) little fishing villages was turned into a thriving mini city with drunks rampaging the streets every night? Would it make you angry, its not theirs for the taking, why should they change OUR town? Well i bet thats what some of the Mediterranean people think about us.

I may be just talking a load of nonsense here, but these are my feelings. I hate the stereotypical English football yob you see at Airports. You know the one, he usually wears an England shirt, shorts, black sunglasses, a cap, and trainers with no socks. You seen him? He is usually with about 5-7 other mates, dressed in a similar fashion. All laughing and joking and it all seems ok. You get on the plane, they are a bit roudy, but still tolerable. As you get closer to the sunny destination, with a few alcoholic drinks in their bellies, they get louder. You touch down, a loud cheer goes up from the back of the plane, chants of "We're gonna get mashed, we're gonna get mashed" and "Going home with ten birds, going home with ten birds, nah nah nah" start as the party really gets going. Finally got rid of them. Its evening now, you fancy something to eat, strolling down to town you meet the same bunch of lads, still dressed the same, but a little more intoxicated. Shouting at random women in the street, hurling bottles and generally causing trouble. You get to the main strip, and thats when it hits you - there are now at least a thousand similar men and women, sometimes hard to tell the difference. This is my idea of holiday hell.

Why not save your money and just go down the local pub every night for two weeks? Its the same bloody thing as your going to do on holiday! I think holidays are for relaxing, seeing new places, being educated and yes having a laugh but also having respect for other countries cultures and traditions. Its somewhat embarassing seeing a fellow Brit ont he beach causing trouble, sometimes you just want to be German...

Odin
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:40
Regular
Ayia Napa, Magaluf, Benidorm; what do these destinations say to you? Sandy beaches, quaint fishing villages, little market towns? Rowdy British tourists, drunk eighteen year old tarts with less clothes on than in an Olympic swimming gala. British "lad culture" has destroyed many european destinations which were once pleasent cultured Mediterranean villages. Since the introduction of the package holidays and holidays abroad, in about the 1970's places like these have gone down hill, well in my opinion. If you like clubs, drugs, alcohol, dirty streets, crime, and a general sense of UK disculture, it all looks dandy for you. What i'm trying to get at here is i feel its just a tad unfair of young british lads and ladettes to go and create multiple UK saturday night destinations around Europe.

Ok lets look on the plus sides for these destinations. They get a bundle of money in every tourist season through teenagers wasting away their money on booze and nightclubs. Its the highest earning trade for many of these destinations, but who is actually getting this money? The British. British bar men and the like go over to such honeypots and set up bars, restaurantes and nightclubs for the British "holiday makers" to come over. Most of the people who once lived in these villages have either been driven out because of falling profits from traditional industries like fishing and craft works, of have been forced to change their industry to suit us. What would you do if one of our (too few) little fishing villages was turned into a thriving mini city with drunks rampaging the streets every night? Would it make you angry, its not theirs for the taking, why should they change OUR town? Well i bet thats what some of the Mediterranean people think about us.

I may be just talking a load of nonsense here, but these are my feelings. I hate the stereotypical English football yob you see at Airports. You know the one, he usually wears an England shirt, shorts, black sunglasses, a cap, and trainers with no socks. You seen him? He is usually with about 5-7 other mates, dressed in a similar fashion. All laughing and joking and it all seems ok. You get on the plane, they are a bit roudy, but still tolerable. As you get closer to the sunny destination, with a few alcoholic drinks in their bellies, they get louder. You touch down, a loud cheer goes up from the back of the plane, chants of "We're gonna get mashed, we're gonna get mashed" and "Going home with ten birds, going home with ten birds, nah nah nah" start as the party really gets going. Finally got rid of them. Its evening now, you fancy something to eat, strolling down to town you meet the same bunch of lads, still dressed the same, but a little more intoxicated. Shouting at random women in the street, hurling bottles and generally causing trouble. You get to the main strip, and thats when it hits you - there are now at least a thousand similar men and women, sometimes hard to tell the difference. This is my idea of holiday hell.

Why not save your money and just go down the local pub every night for two weeks? Its the same bloody thing as your going to do on holiday! I think holidays are for relaxing, seeing new places, being educated and yes having a laugh but also having respect for other countries cultures and traditions. Its somewhat embarassing seeing a fellow Brit ont he beach causing trouble, sometimes you just want to be German...

Odin
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:48
"Darkness, always"
Of course, people blame the UK tourists for this type of disruption. However, the fault lies with the holiday reps, who endlessly encourage holiday makers to get out and get drunk, spending their money in clubs that the holiday operators have deals with.

Hence everyone goes out and gets wasted at the reps behest, the reps act all coy and "oh, these tourists are so rowdy", and the world thinks we're all a bunch of idiots.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:51
Regular
And where are the reps from? Who are the reps? they are part of this youth culture. I just hate the way that the British are portrayed through these "types" of people.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I'd rather prefer to sit in a quiet Spanish bar next to the sea getting happily drunk whilst listening to some Spanish guitar music.

Well I actually did that on holiday last year which rocked and I tried to chat up some girl with my dodgy Spanish... she was actually French.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:55
Regular
I totally agree. At least some of the small Spanish bars are actually run by Spanish people. I love the little bars and restaurantes you can find in the old towns. There are some lovely little streets etc. you just have to explore.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:56
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Oh and I'm just 17 and went on holiday with parents to a quiet holiday area that used to be a fishing villiage... yet I still saw 'Anne's British Chippy' down the road with a bunch of British Bulldog look-a-likes outside.
Sun 19/01/03 at 12:59
Regular
I'm only 17 but went on a very cultured holiday to Southern Italy, staying in Sorrento and seeing all the Roman sites in the area. It was very interesting and relaxing holiday. Going to Southern France this year - dont mind if you call me a bender for enjoying holidays with my parents.
Sun 19/01/03 at 13:07
"Darkness, always"
Odin wrote:
> And where are the reps from? Who are the reps? they are part of this
> youth culture. I just hate the way that the British are portrayed
> through these "types" of people.

They aren't part of any culture while they are reps. They're employees, and they're doing their jobs.
Sun 19/01/03 at 13:17
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
They're subhuman scum. I went to Amsterdam recently and exactly the same happened to me and my friends - a bunch of loud, inebriate geordies were in front of us on the plane and screaming drunken insults at everyone. And then I bumped into the same aformentioned idiots on the same night out. Needless to say, i was very irate.
Sun 19/01/03 at 19:48
Regular
Its scary how you always bump into them again, although most yobs look the same...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.