GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Are you on that thing AGAIN?""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/01/03 at 13:21
Regular
There are some strange people out there, but none more strange than those that don't understand what gaming is all about. Parents are the worst culprits, with probably Girlfriends in close second, and their only line they have when they see you gaming is "Are you on that thing again?" Well the simple answer is Yes....I've got a control pad in my hand, I'm looking at a TV screen with graphics you would never see on any TV program (apart from Gamepad), and I'm trying not to listen to you....What did you think I'm doing otherwise? Teaching the Dog how to build a flat-pack bookcase?

As gamers we get told that we should be doing something more constructive with our time, and I don't mean building a row of houses. The problem being that if we gave up our gaming time, we would get roped into doing something worse than death itself E.G. Washing the dishes, tidying your bedroom, going to the shops to get some food etc Therefore there is no suitable alternative to do anything more constructive with our time.

The second argument is that we are wasting our lives away. Can't argue with that one! But then politely remind them during Eastenders that they too are wasting their lives away in front of the television...to which will either be greeted with a slap around the head or the silent treatment. Don't be disappoint by their reaction - they've got the message and you should get away with a week or twos gaming before they attempt to say anything again.

Their third argument is that "It's not real"...well thanks for the reality check, I really thought I WAS stealing peoples cars in GTA, and I couldn't understand why on the Premiership Des Lynam said Man United only beat WBA 3-1 when I in fact beat them 5-0 on Championship Manager. We know it's not real, do you honestly think that we believe that we are The Rock when we play Smackdown...NO! (that comes when you've finished playing when you Rock Bottom you little Bro)...do we believe that it is possible for you to conjure up magic spells to kill demons...do we look like Paul Daniels!...NO! Yet you still think, that we believe, that when we do venture out of the house next, it'll be dressed as a cross between Duke Nukem and Sonic. I'll tell you now - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

What I find amazing is that 99% of the people that slate gamers have never gamed or not giving it a chance. My Fiancee says to me that there are no good games out there! No good games? Are you blind love? Do you live in a Hole love? Have you got a Brain love?...to which the answer to all three is obviously No. And thats precisely it. People that dis gamers do so because they are unable to remember how to play games, they don't know what button to press next etc. Well I've got three words for you - Practice & Instruction Booklets...thats what will make you not die after 15 seconds of playing any game! But like I say, people who don't game, don't because they have got a memory thats as good as cross between a goldfish and an old BBC computer, whilst if I was given a copy of any game I had on the megadrive/mastersystem/Atari 2600 it'd take me about 5 seconds to remember how to play it.

The most annoying thing has to be when you get asked to come off of your console and for some reason, you shockingly agree to. Only to be told to "Hurry Up"...whilst you exclaim "It's blooming saving, give me a minute" - If thats never happened to you then I bow to your knees as the king of all gamers...before the police knock on your door to ask why you've killed all your family "I wanted some peace guv'nor - I was on level 7 and I'd never got that far before". If they too are true gamers they'll laugh with you, have a cuppa tea and a Custard Cream and then be on their merry way to help another burglar escape unscathed.

What I have found that works as a great escape though...is when someone says something to you about your gaming habits whilst you're playing, ignore them, then when they repeat it say "Sorry I wasn't listen, I was day dreaming about what to get you for your birthday/Christmas/anniversary etc"...because the one thing us gamers are not is Gulible....which is supposedly not in the dictionary anymore if been told...weird!
Fri 17/01/03 at 14:13
Regular
"relocated"
Belligerent, amusing and very, very right. My life is my own to waste. Hurrah for slackerdom.
Fri 17/01/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
There are some strange people out there, but none more strange than those that don't understand what gaming is all about. Parents are the worst culprits, with probably Girlfriends in close second, and their only line they have when they see you gaming is "Are you on that thing again?" Well the simple answer is Yes....I've got a control pad in my hand, I'm looking at a TV screen with graphics you would never see on any TV program (apart from Gamepad), and I'm trying not to listen to you....What did you think I'm doing otherwise? Teaching the Dog how to build a flat-pack bookcase?

As gamers we get told that we should be doing something more constructive with our time, and I don't mean building a row of houses. The problem being that if we gave up our gaming time, we would get roped into doing something worse than death itself E.G. Washing the dishes, tidying your bedroom, going to the shops to get some food etc Therefore there is no suitable alternative to do anything more constructive with our time.

The second argument is that we are wasting our lives away. Can't argue with that one! But then politely remind them during Eastenders that they too are wasting their lives away in front of the television...to which will either be greeted with a slap around the head or the silent treatment. Don't be disappoint by their reaction - they've got the message and you should get away with a week or twos gaming before they attempt to say anything again.

Their third argument is that "It's not real"...well thanks for the reality check, I really thought I WAS stealing peoples cars in GTA, and I couldn't understand why on the Premiership Des Lynam said Man United only beat WBA 3-1 when I in fact beat them 5-0 on Championship Manager. We know it's not real, do you honestly think that we believe that we are The Rock when we play Smackdown...NO! (that comes when you've finished playing when you Rock Bottom you little Bro)...do we believe that it is possible for you to conjure up magic spells to kill demons...do we look like Paul Daniels!...NO! Yet you still think, that we believe, that when we do venture out of the house next, it'll be dressed as a cross between Duke Nukem and Sonic. I'll tell you now - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

What I find amazing is that 99% of the people that slate gamers have never gamed or not giving it a chance. My Fiancee says to me that there are no good games out there! No good games? Are you blind love? Do you live in a Hole love? Have you got a Brain love?...to which the answer to all three is obviously No. And thats precisely it. People that dis gamers do so because they are unable to remember how to play games, they don't know what button to press next etc. Well I've got three words for you - Practice & Instruction Booklets...thats what will make you not die after 15 seconds of playing any game! But like I say, people who don't game, don't because they have got a memory thats as good as cross between a goldfish and an old BBC computer, whilst if I was given a copy of any game I had on the megadrive/mastersystem/Atari 2600 it'd take me about 5 seconds to remember how to play it.

The most annoying thing has to be when you get asked to come off of your console and for some reason, you shockingly agree to. Only to be told to "Hurry Up"...whilst you exclaim "It's blooming saving, give me a minute" - If thats never happened to you then I bow to your knees as the king of all gamers...before the police knock on your door to ask why you've killed all your family "I wanted some peace guv'nor - I was on level 7 and I'd never got that far before". If they too are true gamers they'll laugh with you, have a cuppa tea and a Custard Cream and then be on their merry way to help another burglar escape unscathed.

What I have found that works as a great escape though...is when someone says something to you about your gaming habits whilst you're playing, ignore them, then when they repeat it say "Sorry I wasn't listen, I was day dreaming about what to get you for your birthday/Christmas/anniversary etc"...because the one thing us gamers are not is Gulible....which is supposedly not in the dictionary anymore if been told...weird!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.