GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Three Books You Must Read - And Why"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/01/03 at 22:30
Regular
The Seventh Scroll - Wilbur Smith

This is Wilbur Smith at his very best. He writes action adventures, mostly based in Africa because he knows the area so well, and The Seventh Scroll is no exception, set in modern day Ethiopia for the most part.

It's about an archeologist who has discovered the key to a lost Tomb in the form of a scroll, but before she can decipher it a rival organisation appears on the scene and steals it.

Fortunately, from what she can piece together from memory, she is able to convince a renowned explorer called Sir Nicholas Harper, based in England, to help her search for the lost treasure reputed to be stored in the Pharoah's resting place.

Throughout there's some fantastic set pieces, breath-taking action and as the narrative progresses the events speed up until you just HAVE to stay up to finish the book. This is what Wilbur Smith does so well, and personally I think this is his best work that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Zero Hour - Joseph Finder

This whole book concentrates on the cat and mouse chase between an FBI agent and the Prince of Darkness, the most dangerous terrorist in the world who has been commissioned by a reclusive billionaire to commit a spectacular act of global terroism.

Finder knows his stuff, and his research into FBI counter-terroism measures and the workings of Interpol shine through each and every page. Written in 1996, the book is uncannily topical in light of events in the world over the last few years. Although it's a work of fiction, it could just as easily be an account of numerous happenings in the world of intelligence agencies throughout the last 5 or 6 years.

Some of the twists in this thriller are amazing, and some of the actions that the Prince of Darkness undertakes to succeed in his mission are so pre-meditated and callous that you'll wonder if such a person could actually exist. Finder manages to convince you that the character is real, such is his skill with bringing his words to life.

Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon - Raymond E. Feist

Ok, so that makes 5 books, but these last 3 come under the Riftwar Saga, a trilogy by Feist which rivals that of Tolkien in the way it manages to depict incredible new worlds and characters in a fantasy setting. Magician was his first ever book, and follows the life of a boy-magician called Pug as he tries to learn the arts of his craft as apprentice to Kulgan, a court wizard.

Set in a medieval type timeline, very reminisent to the worlds of Baldur's Gate or NeverWinterNights, these books could have spawned countless games and sequels for consoles, but for some reason never did. (Two appeared on PC but were short-lived). Perhaps it's because the narratives span 10 years over the whole Trilogy.

The things that make the story stand out is not just the simple way characters are introduced, but the set piece battles between not just Men and Goblin armies, or Men and Orc armies, but between Men and the Tsurani, a race of invaders that appeared out of nowhere in the lands of Midkemia. The battles are fought on a grand scale, and yet no detail is left to the imagination as Feist spins out the tale.

This is the best introduction to the Fantasy Fiction genre you could ever wish to get, because Feist never assumes you automatically know what a troll, elf, goblin or orc is, and the narrative is mostly through Pug's eyes, and he's only 12 years old at the start of the story. So things are explained fully for novices to the genre.

-----

All of these books, in my opinion, are definite 'must reads' for anyone. Not only do they expand your horizons a bit because they cover 3 different genres, but they are all immersive stories in their own right. And as we all know reading books helps your brain to grow just that little bit bigger with each turn of the page.
Thu 16/01/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The Seventh Scroll - Wilbur Smith

This is Wilbur Smith at his very best. He writes action adventures, mostly based in Africa because he knows the area so well, and The Seventh Scroll is no exception, set in modern day Ethiopia for the most part.

It's about an archeologist who has discovered the key to a lost Tomb in the form of a scroll, but before she can decipher it a rival organisation appears on the scene and steals it.

Fortunately, from what she can piece together from memory, she is able to convince a renowned explorer called Sir Nicholas Harper, based in England, to help her search for the lost treasure reputed to be stored in the Pharoah's resting place.

Throughout there's some fantastic set pieces, breath-taking action and as the narrative progresses the events speed up until you just HAVE to stay up to finish the book. This is what Wilbur Smith does so well, and personally I think this is his best work that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Zero Hour - Joseph Finder

This whole book concentrates on the cat and mouse chase between an FBI agent and the Prince of Darkness, the most dangerous terrorist in the world who has been commissioned by a reclusive billionaire to commit a spectacular act of global terroism.

Finder knows his stuff, and his research into FBI counter-terroism measures and the workings of Interpol shine through each and every page. Written in 1996, the book is uncannily topical in light of events in the world over the last few years. Although it's a work of fiction, it could just as easily be an account of numerous happenings in the world of intelligence agencies throughout the last 5 or 6 years.

Some of the twists in this thriller are amazing, and some of the actions that the Prince of Darkness undertakes to succeed in his mission are so pre-meditated and callous that you'll wonder if such a person could actually exist. Finder manages to convince you that the character is real, such is his skill with bringing his words to life.

Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon - Raymond E. Feist

Ok, so that makes 5 books, but these last 3 come under the Riftwar Saga, a trilogy by Feist which rivals that of Tolkien in the way it manages to depict incredible new worlds and characters in a fantasy setting. Magician was his first ever book, and follows the life of a boy-magician called Pug as he tries to learn the arts of his craft as apprentice to Kulgan, a court wizard.

Set in a medieval type timeline, very reminisent to the worlds of Baldur's Gate or NeverWinterNights, these books could have spawned countless games and sequels for consoles, but for some reason never did. (Two appeared on PC but were short-lived). Perhaps it's because the narratives span 10 years over the whole Trilogy.

The things that make the story stand out is not just the simple way characters are introduced, but the set piece battles between not just Men and Goblin armies, or Men and Orc armies, but between Men and the Tsurani, a race of invaders that appeared out of nowhere in the lands of Midkemia. The battles are fought on a grand scale, and yet no detail is left to the imagination as Feist spins out the tale.

This is the best introduction to the Fantasy Fiction genre you could ever wish to get, because Feist never assumes you automatically know what a troll, elf, goblin or orc is, and the narrative is mostly through Pug's eyes, and he's only 12 years old at the start of the story. So things are explained fully for novices to the genre.

-----

All of these books, in my opinion, are definite 'must reads' for anyone. Not only do they expand your horizons a bit because they cover 3 different genres, but they are all immersive stories in their own right. And as we all know reading books helps your brain to grow just that little bit bigger with each turn of the page.
Fri 17/01/03 at 08:57
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
FantasyMeister wrote:

> Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon - Raymond E. Feist
>
Excellent taste there and I fully agree with this. Magician is one of my all time favorites and I own three copies. The original one has all but disintegrated, one that I re-read at the moment and one for when that falls to pieces! I thought I had nearly every book that he had written and just checked this fact on Amazon. 105 books listed under his name. This was cheery news - only have about 30 so it looks like I need to go shopping.

You could leave me on a desert island with these books and I would be happy.

If you liked these so much have you read any by David Gemmell? I also (believe) I have most of his as these are very enjoyable as well.

I will try the Wilbur Smith if you believe it is so good. I have never read any of his books as I never fancied them.
Fri 17/01/03 at 12:31
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Ineedsleep wrote:
> If you liked these so much have you read any by David Gemmell?

I'll get around to it when I've finished reading Feist :)
Could be quite a while though, Feist has written a lot of books.

BTW, Betrayal at Krondor, the PC game, is set during the Riftwar saga and is now available as Freeware. It was developed by SierraOnline and issued as Freeware when they brought out the sequel a few years later. I'd advise downloading the manual first and reading through it to make sure it's your kind of thing before downloading the VERY stat orientated RPG game itself if you want to play it. (Because it looks very dated, but on the plus side it does an excellent job of recreating most of the towns and villages included in the books).
Mon 20/01/03 at 21:56
your book about treasure hunting reminded me of a real 'treasure hunt' by a guy named Graham hancock about the search for the ark of the covenant which is supposedly in ethiopia.

hes written and co-written many books of great importance and believe me the 'real world' he speaks of is much better than any fiction.

try
fingerprints of the gods- although its a little behind modern research it still has some bloody good arguements

Underworld- probably his best work for a scenario of pre history and recent archealogical discoveries are now backing up his claims.

Gripping stuff

www.grahamhancock.com

he also posts some fun stuff there under 'news'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.