GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hollywood Mistakes!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/01/03 at 16:22
Regular
Experience has shown that when it comes to recreating history in Hollywood, some major details have to go to make the film more “cinematic”. Patriotism as well as major accidents in research can be to blame when films fall victim to Hollywood. Take U571 for example which showed the Yanks getting the Enigma, despite Britain being the heroes of that moment. Saving Private Ryan also showed American troops landing on Omaha Beach in the D-day landings, despite having no involvement in that at all. Even the greatest directors such as James Cameron can make mistakes. Titanic for example showed a crew member shooting passengers when apparently in real life he was kind and generous – so generous he gave his lifejacket to someone.

After hearing again that Hollywood had messed up history in new film “Gangs of New York” (I can’t remember what they messed up, but trust me they did) I wondered what other Hollywood Blockbusters might be planned…

1) The Battle of New Yorkgrad

The Film: During WWII the Germans enter New York and siege the city for an entire year. The film tells the story of the heroic American troops that never give up, and fight on till they are free of German bondage. The film features a memorable speech by Roosevelt… “We shall fight them on the beaches. We shall fight them on the landing grounds… We shall never surrender!!”

The Truth: New York was never under siege. The Germans hardly ever touched the Americans. That was Churchill’s speech NOT Roosevelt’s.

2) Independence Day

The Film: Americans gain Independence from the British when they design atomic submarines and battle the primitive British ships. The ships are burnt and Americans win.

The Truth: Er atomic submarines weren’t invented back then…

3) Battle of Hastings

The Film: The historic event of the Battle of Hastings. Narrated in part by a slightly modified Bayeux Tapestry this shows the events Harold (Hugh Grant) goes through to try and secure his monarchy.

Lots of violent battles including the battle of Fulford Gate between Harald Hardraada with Tostig and Harold, Stamford Bridge and the Battle of Hastings at the end of the film where William Duke of Normandy (Brad Pitt) lands on British soil and fights a weakened Harold’s army…

The Truth: The whole film is quite accurately represented for a Hollywood film apart from the lead roles being played by Americans (the accents are extremely distinct), until you realise it is set in Las Vegas and there are cacti around. Oh yeh and Harold didn’t get shot in the eye, he wins the battle.

4) Hiroshima – Einstein’s Story

The Film: The film takes you through the life of American Albert Einstein. Born in America his clever American teachers realise he is a clever man. They harness his knowledge and manage to develop his mind, forming the brain that will later help develop the Atomic Bomb. Americans take all praise for his knowledge, he helps design the nuclear missile. America fires it on Hiroshima and saves the world from almost certain doom. They make sure people know it.

The truth: Einstein made his first visit to USA in 1929 – well out of his education. He became a citizen in 1940. He was not American.

5) Afghanistan

The Film: The USA send a crack team of ten elite Delta forces into Afghanistan with the prime objective to capture Bin Laden. The majority of the group die, but they succeed in their objective. The final scenes are painful to watch as Taliban and Al Qaeda troops outnumber them fifty fold. However the brave Delta Forces don’t go down without a fight, exchanging gunfire, taking out most of the enemy including Bin Laden himself. They fight to the death. Truly patriotic.

The Truth: The USA bombs Afghanistan, it’s weapons make a laughing stock out of Afghanistan. They fail to find Bin Laden, and bomb a few Red Cross buildings on the way.

6) Helicopter Down

The Film: Taliban troops with top of the range Anti aircraft weapons (rock launchers – yes rock not rocket) knock down an American ‘copter during the hunt for Osama. Kids with rocks cause immense damage to the ‘copter with superior rocks and pointy sticks. Heroic American army leaders order a withdrawal of troops as the evil Taliban and Al Qaeda torture troops and annihilate the weak force that is the US.

The truth: The same as before. The USA bombs Afghanistan, it’s weapons make a laughing stock out of Afghanistan. They fail to find Bin Laden, and bomb a few Red Cross buildings on the way.

7) Genesis: USA

The Film: George Washington sets on a heroic journey to discover America from…… America. Encounters sea storms and diseases on board, but nevertheless discovers America.

The truth: Christopher Columbus discovered America on 12th October 1492 by accident whilst trying to prove the world was round. Washington was born in 1732 and was America's first president in 1789… and you can't discover yourself, no matter how patriotic a film.

8) Napoleonic Wars

The film: Napoleon’s trying to take over Europe and create a French empire. The Duke of Wellington leads the allied troops to battle. Most get massacred, until Americans fly by in planes at the end, bomb all the troops and save the day yet again.

The truth: The USA was no way a superpower at this time as it is today… planes were not invented. (The war ended in 1825)
Sun 19/01/03 at 20:42
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I feel the same. Just as much as I feel anger at the Hollywood law that all English characters have to speak in RP that only the royal family use.
Sat 18/01/03 at 00:40
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I get pretty damn sick of these flimmin' war films that basically say,

"OK, we had no involvement in this particular war what so-ever, but we're American, so what the hey? We'll just completely re-write history"

Hmmmm.
Fri 17/01/03 at 20:32
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I never said Cameron was a bad director.

The Terminators and True Lies are among my all time favourite action movies, actually forget that films altogether.
Fri 17/01/03 at 12:58
Regular
"That's right!"
Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, Abyss, True Lies... heck, even Titanic was good from a director's view point (people need to start watching films the same way I do, makes even Michael Bay stuff enjoyable)

Cameron is a great film maker. I say film maker, because he writes, produces and directs almost everything he does. How many directors do that?
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Did anyone watch Tommorrow never dies?

There was a bit when bond and the chinese lass jump through a window, but if you noticed that wouldnt have been possible since they were handcuffed.
Thu 16/01/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Oh, if its for the record then...

I'll give you Aliens, suppose you could make an argument for The Abyss, but one good film doesn't make you great.

Terminator is the only other thing he's done that's even managed "average", and that was mostly done to the effects i.e. not his direction.
Thu 16/01/03 at 18:11
Regular
"That's right!"
"Saving Private Ryan also showed American troops landing on Omaha Beach in the D-day landings, despite having no involvement in that at all."

-------

So, what's it like to fail history?

And for the record, Cameron IS a great director
Thu 16/01/03 at 16:52
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Ok. "Famous" directors. Better? :)
Thu 16/01/03 at 16:48
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Rakuga wrote:
> Even the greatest directors such as James
> Cameron can make mistakes.

Pardon? In his own head, maybe.
Thu 16/01/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Experience has shown that when it comes to recreating history in Hollywood, some major details have to go to make the film more “cinematic”. Patriotism as well as major accidents in research can be to blame when films fall victim to Hollywood. Take U571 for example which showed the Yanks getting the Enigma, despite Britain being the heroes of that moment. Saving Private Ryan also showed American troops landing on Omaha Beach in the D-day landings, despite having no involvement in that at all. Even the greatest directors such as James Cameron can make mistakes. Titanic for example showed a crew member shooting passengers when apparently in real life he was kind and generous – so generous he gave his lifejacket to someone.

After hearing again that Hollywood had messed up history in new film “Gangs of New York” (I can’t remember what they messed up, but trust me they did) I wondered what other Hollywood Blockbusters might be planned…

1) The Battle of New Yorkgrad

The Film: During WWII the Germans enter New York and siege the city for an entire year. The film tells the story of the heroic American troops that never give up, and fight on till they are free of German bondage. The film features a memorable speech by Roosevelt… “We shall fight them on the beaches. We shall fight them on the landing grounds… We shall never surrender!!”

The Truth: New York was never under siege. The Germans hardly ever touched the Americans. That was Churchill’s speech NOT Roosevelt’s.

2) Independence Day

The Film: Americans gain Independence from the British when they design atomic submarines and battle the primitive British ships. The ships are burnt and Americans win.

The Truth: Er atomic submarines weren’t invented back then…

3) Battle of Hastings

The Film: The historic event of the Battle of Hastings. Narrated in part by a slightly modified Bayeux Tapestry this shows the events Harold (Hugh Grant) goes through to try and secure his monarchy.

Lots of violent battles including the battle of Fulford Gate between Harald Hardraada with Tostig and Harold, Stamford Bridge and the Battle of Hastings at the end of the film where William Duke of Normandy (Brad Pitt) lands on British soil and fights a weakened Harold’s army…

The Truth: The whole film is quite accurately represented for a Hollywood film apart from the lead roles being played by Americans (the accents are extremely distinct), until you realise it is set in Las Vegas and there are cacti around. Oh yeh and Harold didn’t get shot in the eye, he wins the battle.

4) Hiroshima – Einstein’s Story

The Film: The film takes you through the life of American Albert Einstein. Born in America his clever American teachers realise he is a clever man. They harness his knowledge and manage to develop his mind, forming the brain that will later help develop the Atomic Bomb. Americans take all praise for his knowledge, he helps design the nuclear missile. America fires it on Hiroshima and saves the world from almost certain doom. They make sure people know it.

The truth: Einstein made his first visit to USA in 1929 – well out of his education. He became a citizen in 1940. He was not American.

5) Afghanistan

The Film: The USA send a crack team of ten elite Delta forces into Afghanistan with the prime objective to capture Bin Laden. The majority of the group die, but they succeed in their objective. The final scenes are painful to watch as Taliban and Al Qaeda troops outnumber them fifty fold. However the brave Delta Forces don’t go down without a fight, exchanging gunfire, taking out most of the enemy including Bin Laden himself. They fight to the death. Truly patriotic.

The Truth: The USA bombs Afghanistan, it’s weapons make a laughing stock out of Afghanistan. They fail to find Bin Laden, and bomb a few Red Cross buildings on the way.

6) Helicopter Down

The Film: Taliban troops with top of the range Anti aircraft weapons (rock launchers – yes rock not rocket) knock down an American ‘copter during the hunt for Osama. Kids with rocks cause immense damage to the ‘copter with superior rocks and pointy sticks. Heroic American army leaders order a withdrawal of troops as the evil Taliban and Al Qaeda torture troops and annihilate the weak force that is the US.

The truth: The same as before. The USA bombs Afghanistan, it’s weapons make a laughing stock out of Afghanistan. They fail to find Bin Laden, and bomb a few Red Cross buildings on the way.

7) Genesis: USA

The Film: George Washington sets on a heroic journey to discover America from…… America. Encounters sea storms and diseases on board, but nevertheless discovers America.

The truth: Christopher Columbus discovered America on 12th October 1492 by accident whilst trying to prove the world was round. Washington was born in 1732 and was America's first president in 1789… and you can't discover yourself, no matter how patriotic a film.

8) Napoleonic Wars

The film: Napoleon’s trying to take over Europe and create a French empire. The Duke of Wellington leads the allied troops to battle. Most get massacred, until Americans fly by in planes at the end, bomb all the troops and save the day yet again.

The truth: The USA was no way a superpower at this time as it is today… planes were not invented. (The war ended in 1825)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.