GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2nd hard drive/slave drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 22:28
Regular
How would u fit an extra hard drive in your pc,would u fit it in to a ide socket on the motherboard,also how would u set it to be a slave,would u have to select it on the hard drive where the switch`s are at the back
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:28
Regular
"http://fabio2003.tk"
How would u fit an extra hard drive in your pc,would u fit it in to a ide socket on the motherboard,also how would u set it to be a slave,would u have to select it on the hard drive where the switch`s are at the back
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
There is a little 'cap' on the back of a Hard Drive, which you have to place over the correct pins. One set is for the 'Master' one for the 'slave' and one for .... something else (I forget).

You should have a spare connecter on your IDE cable to just plug it right in.

In windows, it'll just show up as another Drive.
Mon 13/01/03 at 00:00
Regular
"http://fabio2003.tk"
what u mean by a spare conecter,do you mean a spare socket for a ide cable,where would i fit it in to my pc tho,i havnt got any 5.25inch drive bays left
Mon 13/01/03 at 13:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
ftozzi wrote:
i havnt got any 5.25inch
> drive bays left

Then you can either buy a new tower with loads of space, or leave the case open and leave the drive outside the case - but that can lead to problems.
Mon 13/01/03 at 15:30
Regular
The thrid cap is usually "cable select" and on some newer drives they also have a 32gb limit one. Do you have any 3 1/4" bays left?, or why down't you just buy a big hard drive and copy your hard drive to it then you will only need 1 hard drive.

c.b.
Mon 13/01/03 at 23:01
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
On an IDE cable, there should be a second connection not being used. If not, you can easily buy a new one which supports more than one device.

As for the bay, if you have a fairly new case, I expect you'll have a 3.5inch bay spare, which is hidden inside, which you can use, as most drives are that size now anyway.

If not, like suggested below, why not just by a new, bigger one, to replace the old one?

http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/info.php?code=GG2762

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.