GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 14:43
Regular
Well, I got my £800 paper weight up and running, my round ATA cables are a little messed up and were stopping the motherboard from detecting the 2 cd drives and 1 hdd drive.
Anyway, I was happy to throw the Debian 3.0 installation cd into my drive and watch it boot...anyway, this happened before, everything seemed to be installed or mounted...I re-booted and enetered my username and password, it accepted it, rana few lines and halted...

What can I do?
Also, when I boot it again, it says the hdd wasn't cleanly mounted and it takes a few mins to scan it.

If anyone can help i'll be ore than happy to give you a hug.
Wed 15/01/03 at 20:57
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> grub rox,

indeed it does...
Wed 15/01/03 at 20:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
grub rox, fool.
Wed 15/01/03 at 19:06
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
nice one :p
ag, go to: http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/index.php?PAGE=6#3986
I havn't checked but thats where I got my first version from, cost me £1.50 for P&P, I then bought a Linux Magazon and got Debian 3.0 with it, i'd be happy to send you a copy when my PC is running :D although you'd probably be bored with the idea of Linux by the time I got that going..*sigh*
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:29
Regular
"relocated"
Oooh, unexpected geek 'joke' at the end of my post there.
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:28
Regular
"relocated"
Flame war!

I threw myself in at the deep end, almost drowned, then started doggy paddling. Then when I upgraded, I though 'bagger this, I'll use a lilo'.
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well it depends how determined you are, but Debian is what it's like. Best you get used to it from the off.

Being thrown into the deep end is the only way to swim.
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:03
Regular
"relocated"
There are plenty of places you can get Debian, or any other distro, on CD. People sell it on ebay for instance, and it will probably cost about a fiver for all seven binary CDs and the source DVD.

As for my advice being appalling, I disagree. Debian is great but it is not for beginners. If you're going to use it as a first timer then you really need to be walked through the whole process - and if it's your modem, or GUI that's the problem then doing that remotely is a real pain.

IMHO it's better to get a Linux box up and running using Mandrake, Redhat or whatever - and then learn about the OS by using it. Practice with the shell. Install a few programs from source. Fiddle with config files. Install the nvidia drivers. Then once you're confident enough you can change distro if that's what you want.

Taking the "I'm hardcore" route just makes it more likely that you'll give up and boot back into Windows.
Wed 15/01/03 at 14:05
Regular
""
ok so where can I get Debian from? ive just looked on debian.com, but is there anywhere i can get a cd from, rather than download it?
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No it's appalling advice. I used Mandrake first and it VERY NEARLY put me off Linux altogether. Only Luke and Debian managed to attarct me towards it again, and I ended up using it as a main OS for nearly a year!

However now it routes packets round my network and serves files, although all my other computers I get that don't have screwed IDE busses will be Debian. One Windows box is enough, heh.
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:58
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
class advice and taken in, i've got Mandrake somewhere...i'll give it a go when i've found out if my hdd will store it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.