GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh for the love of John Lennon....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/01/03 at 21:01
Regular
I turned on the TV at around 8:55, after completing The Getaway, to catch the of Top Of The Pops (there's something good on there sometimes). More fool me. I had accidentally turned on just at "number one time". What I saw was hideous. Girls, approximately five, singing a song. The girls weren't much different to the average girl in the street, both in terms of looks and talent. But that's not the worst bit. Oh no.

The song they were singing was a song called "Stay", originally done by East 17 or some other similar group (that whole scene blends into one for me). But do you realise what this means? Not only do we have crappy, and I'm talking EXTREMELY crappy popular music nowadays, we also have COVERS of extremely crappy pop. Basically this crappy pop is accepted now as part of our culture, rather than a trend. It means that the decent citizens of todays society that don't support this mass produced in and out in five minutes use of pro tools and vocoders talentless PAP can no longer hold onto the hope and dream that one day we might start to see good music again.

It is a sad day...
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:26
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Girls Aloud - "The Sound of the Underground"

Excuse me? So you're saying the sound of the "underground" is a commercial band that has risen to the number one spot due to Pop Idol? If that's not a contradictions in terms, I'll eat my hat!

Absolutely shocking. Give me real music instead of all this stupid manafactured one hit wonder pop.
Thu 16/01/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Yeah - its a great form of robbery where the people who own the rights to the original version of the song approve it's use and then take royalties...
Tue 14/01/03 at 23:01
Regular
"we escape....."
i just now read the original post and i agree that pop industry today is pathetic, especially with cover versions, i mean in my previous post i did mention probably one of the most succesful cover versions and it's fair enough because Bryan Ferry changed the original version and made it his own, that's why today it is mainly seen as a bryan ferry song. But today's cover these pop acts just take the original version and do voice overs on it, basically treating it like karaoke. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't release them as singles and only did it as maybe a one of or on to an additional album, but to release it is basically robbery, they cash in on others talent and success. The songs normally only sell due to the success of the original song. And now bad pop covering more bad pop the popular music industry is in a dire state at the moment. it should probably be regulated. A.S.A.P hopefully.
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:51
Regular
"we escape....."
Ms NY wrote:
> Maybe. I think he's a legend! You not like Jealous Guy, that was
> pretty effective.

yeah but jealous guy only became brilliant due to Bryan Ferry's cover version. It was a good composition by lennon but his version wasn't as effective as ferry's
Tue 14/01/03 at 17:48
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> There's a reason why people talk about the test of time.

Exactly! And when pop crap starts to get covered, it means it really is starting to stand the test of time. Hence my annoyance.
Tue 14/01/03 at 13:37
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Shock horror - pop music shows lack of quality.

Who cares? What's the point in wasting your breath over it? There's still plenty of good, new music around to go along with the old favourites, you just have to be selective.

Want to know why the 60s seemed so great? Because all the garbage has been filtered out over time and we're only left with the good stuff. In forty years when people look back at 2003 it's unlikely they'll fondly remember Girls Aloud.

There's a reason why people talk about the test of time.
Sun 12/01/03 at 15:05
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I'm not a huge Lennon fan, but he's generally appreciated as being one of the greatest artists of all time, so I thought I'd slip in his name instead of "God". And don't forget he wrote much of the Beatles stuff as well as his solo material.

And yes I think it was Girls Aloud, or something along those lines. Whatever it was, it wasn't good enough.

I just wish we could get back to the days when the popular, accepted music was good, because that promotes the generation of more good music rather than churned out rubbish.
Sat 11/01/03 at 21:40
Regular
"Woah dude!"
pb wrote:
> All those great old songs by artists like Barry Manilow, Leo Sayer,
> Julio Iglasias, Cliff Richard etc. They really make you want to go
> back to the old days.
>
> What? Why are you looking at me like that?

How dare you....

Cliff is king.
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:57
Regular
"cachoo"
G®åpô²ºº² wrote:
> pretty sure that before the 60's is old, or is it ancient?

Probably ancient!! :)
Fri 10/01/03 at 21:49
Ms NY wrote:
> :) I get a little confused about how far back the music goes.
> I like Van Morisson, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dillan, John Lennon, Otis
> Reading, Four Seasons, The Archies and 'loads' more.
> But I'm not 100% sure when they all became famous, so I just consider
> them oldies... which year did 'Oldies' actually start? The 60's?
>
> I appreciate their music a lot more than what we have now!!

pretty sure that before the 60's is old, or is it ancient?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.