GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games like a movie!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 31/12/00 at 20:15
Regular
Games becom more and more cinematic, more like it's a movie. Final Fantasy 8 is a good example. Is this a good thing? Do you like the games were it like you are waching a movie? Metal Gear Solid is another well known example. Final Fantasy started this off with metal gear solid on the playstation. Do you guys like this or not?
Tue 02/01/01 at 13:28
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I was about to say I think Grix has a point when the cat jumped on the keyboard, sorry about that.

Think she's a Tony Hawks fan?
Tue 02/01/01 at 13:27
Regular
Night-trap, Sega CD. That was a playable movie. Not a game though. I th
36O+
Tue 02/01/01 at 12:58
Regular
I'm refering to those greats such as the infamous plumbers don't wear ties.
Tue 02/01/01 at 12:54
Regular
"not dead"
What about the 7th Guest.

That was a fully playable movie, and game!
Tue 02/01/01 at 12:50
Regular
INTERACTIVE MOVIES ARE NOT GAMES.

Don't ever suggest it again...
Tue 02/01/01 at 00:29
Regular
I haven't played those, Edgy. But I remember certain controllable films from the days of the Sega-CD. They were limited by the special effects that you can do with film.

The advantage of FMV is that you are only limited by your imagination and the capabilities of digital imaging. In my view, unlimited imagination equals unlimited possibilities with FMV.

The disadvantage is it can take up to a week just to create a few seconds worth of FMV. But as technology advances, and new programming skills become available, FMV can, and will, become fully interactive. Judging by current trends, I would expect this to be a reality within 5 years. But you'd need something a lot faster than a 128-bit system to run it on.

And we have to look further than Sony, Sega and Nintendo to develop this kind of hardware. We would have to depend a lot on Intel, AMD and the other chip manufacturers to develop some new kind of chip altogether.

Far into the future, bio-chips or whatever other kind, should easily surpass the 10 GHz speeds that today we can only dream of. When that day comes, consoles should be able to 'create' FMV 'on the run'. We have much to look forward to.
Mon 01/01/01 at 23:17
Is it like X Files. Where you control a movie?
Mon 01/01/01 at 22:57
Regular
How about Star Trek Klingon and Star Trek Borg?

You actually control a real movie filmed in a way that you can interact!

I think these games are cool! I've got ST: Klingon and I really want ST: Borg but I can't find it anywhere!
Sun 31/12/00 at 21:21
Regular
Until we have fully playable FMV then we'll just have to put up with the mixture of cinematics and FMV that we have now.

Personally, I prefer FMV as you can do more with your imagination with a computer generated graphic than you could ever possibly do with celluloid.

Fear Effect on the PSX is another good example of a playable movie. (Cartoon, in this case, but close enough.)
Sun 31/12/00 at 20:15
Games becom more and more cinematic, more like it's a movie. Final Fantasy 8 is a good example. Is this a good thing? Do you like the games were it like you are waching a movie? Metal Gear Solid is another well known example. Final Fantasy started this off with metal gear solid on the playstation. Do you guys like this or not?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.