GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shazam - Possibly the most bizarre service ever"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/01/03 at 06:32
Regular
...but also potentially useful...

Ever heard a song playing somewhere and wondered what it is?
Annoying isn't it?

Well some crackpot has set up a service called Shazam which lets you get over one of life's perennial niggles by doing the following:

1. Hear a song you like anywhere in the UK.
2. Dial 2580* on your mobile phone.
3. Point your phone at the music source (eg: the speakers) to tag the track. Shazam will end the call after 30 seconds so you don't have to hang up.
4. You'll receive a text message with the name of the track and the artist.

Of course option 5 takes you to their website where you buy the cd via their partner amazon but I think Kazaa counts as invisible option number 6 :-)

I was quite disappointed to find out that it's all done by a bug computer database. I had this idea of getting through to some music buff who'd be able to guess the song in a couple of seconds, Comedy Dave of Moyles fame stylee.

The wonders of technology...
Thu 09/01/03 at 20:54
"Uzi Lover"
Tyla wrote:
Did anyone check the
> pricing on this before going off and trying it?

I did.

That's why I never did it.

I still downloaded the Punjabi MC though as it was one of the most popular songs on the service or something.
Thu 09/01/03 at 20:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Whoa... what a non cool idea...

Dial number... pay 9p for connection, hold phone at sound source for 30 secs, get charged 50p and hope the song is int he 12,000 title DB...

59p for my phone to tell me who did a song? Did anyone check the pricing on this before going off and trying it?
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:58
Regular
Heh, that's cool. Cheers, Happy.
Wed 08/01/03 at 12:59
Regular
"relocated"
I wonder how much they earn from people trying to catch out the database with the most obscure song they own? Speaking of which, I've got to go and, er, work.
Wed 08/01/03 at 10:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why are you phoning a computer to see if it gets the title of a song you already own?
Wed 08/01/03 at 10:24
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Scary...

Not only did it get Gallo, but it got Bob Schneider's "the world ecploded into love".

It's in my phone book now.
Wed 08/01/03 at 10:06
"possibly impossible"
Try anything played on John Peel's show on Radio 1, that's what I call obscure music....or mostly crap, you decide.
Wed 08/01/03 at 09:56
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I'm going to go and see if it works now...

Vincent Gallo - When

If it gets that I'll be impressed.
Wed 08/01/03 at 09:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It works, too. Loki played it some incredibly obscure lo-fi track from an unknown band he picked up in the States, and it got it in one. Apparently, it's got a database of about a million songs. And the Cheeky Girls.
Wed 08/01/03 at 06:32
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
...but also potentially useful...

Ever heard a song playing somewhere and wondered what it is?
Annoying isn't it?

Well some crackpot has set up a service called Shazam which lets you get over one of life's perennial niggles by doing the following:

1. Hear a song you like anywhere in the UK.
2. Dial 2580* on your mobile phone.
3. Point your phone at the music source (eg: the speakers) to tag the track. Shazam will end the call after 30 seconds so you don't have to hang up.
4. You'll receive a text message with the name of the track and the artist.

Of course option 5 takes you to their website where you buy the cd via their partner amazon but I think Kazaa counts as invisible option number 6 :-)

I was quite disappointed to find out that it's all done by a bug computer database. I had this idea of getting through to some music buff who'd be able to guess the song in a couple of seconds, Comedy Dave of Moyles fame stylee.

The wonders of technology...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.