GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Diddy Kong belongs to Rare!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/01/03 at 17:16
Regular
Quoted from Total Advance Magazine Issue 36: "With all the recent Rare events you would have thought that Diddy and co would be no more. However, it appears that Rare owns the right to Diddy Kong's name." of course this will mean that Diddy Kong Pilot is still in the works but for some reason I don't think it's true because Nintendo should own ALL the Kongs.
Thu 09/01/03 at 13:02
Regular
Dark Mark™ wrote:
> I disagree (not that you'd care). I could never get on with Crash
> Bandicoot or the "gameplay" he generously brought with him.
> If Donkey Kong 64's gameplay is repetitive, then Crash's must be
> bordering somewhere on the illegal, surely?

Crash (the original atleast) wasn't really repetitive.
It was based on classic 2 platformers, and while it wasn't as revolutionary as Mario 64, it was still very solid.

DK64 had you doing lots of different tasks, but they all involved doing the same thing - wonder around, shoot a target with your weapon, hit a switch to open the door...

They didn't become more challenging as the game went on either so it was boring while Crash (along with the classic 2 platformers it based it's structure on) spiced up it's gameplay by adding twists to the challenge.

The only problem I had with Crash was that the D-pad was awkward for 3D movement. Other than that it was Donkey Kong Country in 3D only with different franchise painted over it.
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:46
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
I got stuck on DK64, trying to get that damned medal from that Donkey Kong arcade machine..... grr. Itwas easily the hardest bit I found in that game.:(
Thu 09/01/03 at 12:34
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> I agree with Strafex, a Crash Bandicoot 'style' game would have been
> far better for a 3D DK.

We had a HUGE argument about that! Told you you'd see the light in the end! ;-)

Donkey Kong 64 wasn't awful, it was just a huge disappointment.
The gameplay wasn't very solid or challenging (except for one or two annoying mini-games which were fustrating rather than challenging - herding those beavers into a pit...).

After Donkey Kong Country's solid play, cool jungle style and challenging design, DK64's loose, sparse, bland gameplay seemed like it had lost a lot of what had made the previous games so good.

Crash on the other hand, had captured DKC's best points quite nicely in a semi-3D platformer.

Besides, like Dringo said, it was basically Banjo which DK characters.
Let Banjo play like a Banjo game and DK play like a DK game.
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:41
Regular
Dark Mark™ wrote:

>
> I disagree (not that you'd care). I could never get on with Crash
> Bandicoot or the "gameplay" he generously brought with him.
> If Donkey Kong 64's gameplay is repetitive, then Crash's must be
> bordering somewhere on the illegal, surely?

Ahh but I mean the sorta behind the character prospective and not 3D worlds. You know like running along a linear path with options to go to secret sections if you jump ontop of trees or use some of the animals to knock down stuff. Oh and the barrell rolling would be more important.

Like the mine cart races but walking... those mine cart races ruled as well.
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:38
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I really enjoyed DK64, some of the mini game got a bit repetetive but
> other than that, it was great.

I thought this game was pants. I really did not enjoy it, too bland if anything, not half as fun as BK or Mario.

Despite the expansion pack there was still pop up. Gay.
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:32
Regular
"Remember me?"
Dringo wrote:
> I agree with Strafex, a Crash Bandicoot 'style' game would have been
> far better for a 3D DK.

I disagree (not that you'd care). I could never get on with Crash Bandicoot or the "gameplay" he generously brought with him. If Donkey Kong 64's gameplay is repetitive, then Crash's must be bordering somewhere on the illegal, surely?
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:14
Regular
Donkey kong is a breed of platformer in itself, Mario branched into the jumping department which is what he did in the original game 'Donkey Kong' whilst DK himself moved into the jumping barrel rolling department. Into 3D and mario moved effortlessly and a western version called Banjo Kazooie was made... DK64 was basically Banjo Kazzooie with Kongs... i was heavily dissapointed.

I agree with Strafex, a Crash Bandicoot 'style' game would have been far better for a 3D DK.
Wed 08/01/03 at 16:00
Regular
Genius even.

Damn my leper spelling.
Wed 08/01/03 at 15:59
"slightlyshortertagl"
muahahahahaha
Wed 08/01/03 at 15:59
Regular
I really enjoyed DK64, some of the mini game got a bit repetetive but other than that, it was great.

Never managed to get all the golden bananas though. Did anyone?

The Fungi Forest level was genious.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.