GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why X-box might have problems"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/12/00 at 15:24
Regular
I was thinking about the X-box, and I realised something. It's basically a PC inside, so it's going to be really easy to emulate on a standard PC, at least compared to PSX etc. So within a year there could be emulators available which allow the X-box games to be played on a normal PC, because by then the X-box won't be that powerful next to a PC.

I also thought about how the public might see it. If people who don't know much about it see the specs, they might compare it with the PC they see in Dixons or wherever and think, "so what's so special?" To them it might seem like a PC because it has a standard Intel CPU, and by the time it's released it won't compare favourably.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Sun 18/03/01 at 23:24
dempo85 wrote:
> i think that it will be seen basically as a pc but then people may
> think... hang on this x-box costs £300 or whatever it will
> cost then see that the same spec pc is around £1000 and think
> that they are being ripped off (which they probably are)
how do
> these computer companies justify the price of their pcs when you can
> by a console that is more compact and usually more advanced for much
> less

The big difference is Console makers make their money from Games, they charge developers for licence fees on every game they produce, So the actual console is sold cheaply. Because the more consoles sold the more games bought. Easy equation really.

Computer makers make their money from the original computer sold. Not any games. But you are right to an extent. I paid just 600 quid for my system, consisting of,

1gig Athlon,
128 meg ram
m/board
30 gig HD
Tower case
300 watt power supply
2x network cards
52 speed CD Rom
Floppy Drive

Only difference is i put it together myself, But they do have to pay their peoples wages.

Fri 05/01/01 at 15:27
Quite sadly the delay of the XBox will mean that its spec will appear woeful compaired to PC's of the day so I think it's stats (particually processor) will have to be revised. But that said price will no doubt clinch it.
Moving on to the price of a PC one grand is a lot of money but you do tend to get rather alot with a PC. For £300 pounds you can get a console and may be 2-3 games and then look forward to a life time of extortionately priced games. With a PC these days you get the PC (drives and all), which itself you can upgrade relatively cheaply to extend its life time and usually a modem, a colour printer, a monitor (which is far better than a TV) and a bundle of useful software (because most people use a PC for more than Games). Add on to this hacks and conversions which means if you really feel the need you can play console games if you want to (eg. recent stonedonkey hack on dreamcast Halflife levels),and that a decent PC can be bought on this very site for less than £1000 (plug plug, then you have a much more reasonable deal.
PS Self build can be even cheaper! some thing also possible on this site.
Thu 04/01/01 at 19:18
Regular
i think that it will be seen basically as a pc but then people may think... hang on this x-box costs £300 or whatever it will cost then see that the same spec pc is around £1000 and think that they are being ripped off (which they probably are)
how do these computer companies justify the price of their pcs when you can by a console that is more compact and usually more advanced for much less
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:24
Regular
I was thinking about the X-box, and I realised something. It's basically a PC inside, so it's going to be really easy to emulate on a standard PC, at least compared to PSX etc. So within a year there could be emulators available which allow the X-box games to be played on a normal PC, because by then the X-box won't be that powerful next to a PC.

I also thought about how the public might see it. If people who don't know much about it see the specs, they might compare it with the PC they see in Dixons or wherever and think, "so what's so special?" To them it might seem like a PC because it has a standard Intel CPU, and by the time it's released it won't compare favourably.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.