GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games don't need much memory nowadays!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/12/00 at 14:33
Regular
No this is serious, compared to a few years ago they needed lots of memory now they have far too much memory meaning what they use now is pretty much nothing at all.

Games now on normal CDs hold as much as 650MB, DVD can hold a little more at 17000MB (17GB) but not it seems that there is a new (old really it was created in early 1999) CD that can hold far more at 140000MB (140GB) only now are we starting to use DVDs, for games and movies, yet already DVD is pretty much nothing at all. This new CD can hold up to 25 DVD movies.

With this new disc I am sure it would mean game developers will feel they need to make games much more larger. Who's going to want a game that only takes up 1/215 of memory on a disc

Bigger is better you know
Sat 30/12/00 at 14:33
Regular
No this is serious, compared to a few years ago they needed lots of memory now they have far too much memory meaning what they use now is pretty much nothing at all.

Games now on normal CDs hold as much as 650MB, DVD can hold a little more at 17000MB (17GB) but not it seems that there is a new (old really it was created in early 1999) CD that can hold far more at 140000MB (140GB) only now are we starting to use DVDs, for games and movies, yet already DVD is pretty much nothing at all. This new CD can hold up to 25 DVD movies.

With this new disc I am sure it would mean game developers will feel they need to make games much more larger. Who's going to want a game that only takes up 1/215 of memory on a disc

Bigger is better you know
Sat 30/12/00 at 14:37
Regular
Nintendo's newly designed discs may be small but they prevent pirating!
Sat 30/12/00 at 14:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
But developers don't HAVE to fill all the disc, do they? If they can make a great game that fits into 1GB, then that's it, game complete. But at least they now have a choice over which format to release it on, which is a good thing.

140GB. Wonder how many libraries you could fit onto that?
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:03
Regular
So cold. So very cold.
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:08
Regular
Why don't you set fire to your N64? That would do two things:

1) Keep you warm
2) Put it to some good use

:-)
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:11
Regular
The fumes from the cheap plastic would probably kill me.

(?)

The console isn't THAT good. The games are amazing, but the console is pretty crappy.

(...That's true. But still, shouldn't you be arguing, instead of agreeing?)

Can't be bothered. I'm too cold.
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:13
Regular
My step-brother broke his leg yesterday sliding down a hill in Pembroke. Silly sod.
Sat 30/12/00 at 15:17
Regular
What hill?

And what game? Anything in particular?
Sat 30/12/00 at 16:52
Regular
Sorry, I thought this was the other topic.

*Cough*

Which hill? There are many hills.
Sat 30/12/00 at 16:55
Regular
The one everyone was using sleighs on on Boxing Day. Apparently there is this hollow in the ground that everyone was sliding straight over, but my step-brother slid right into it and broke his femur in two places.

lol.

Don't know what the hill was called though. Glad it was there nonetheless.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.