GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield which way to go."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Battlefield 2'.
Tue 11/10/05 at 03:32
Regular
"Captain to you."
Now battlefield 2 is out and the add-on planned which will turn it much more man based as opposed to vehicle based.

I just wonder now which direction the Battlefield games will take, will they continue with advancing the technologies or will they attempt a daring turn around and work backwards to before 1942.

If they choose to go forward they are going to have to invent or guess what the combat style will be when they base the game, i can't imagine that they would jump to hover tanks, laser guns and space ships. They seem to be trying to stick losely to real technology, i as losely due to the Secret Weapons add-on for 1942 that gave technology that was never used practically like in the game.

All that being said if they were to jump to futuristic technologies I'd like to see it follow these sorts of lines.

I'd like a collaboration between Ground Control 2 and battlefield, using the technology, armies and weapons from ground Control 2 but with Battlefields game play and a small bit of Ground Controls'. All damage stats are already there and so it would just be porting these across to the battlefield engine.

The part of the ground control game play that I'd like to keep is the reinforcements system, this would be combined with the commander system from battlefield giving the commander the ability to call in the troops to a flag via a huge drop ship. This would not only look better than people appearing out of thin air but would give added game play as the drop ship travels over the landscape as troops would be able to see some of the area around them and know what's coming from a certain direction.

Vehicles would no longer be spawned at the base rather the commander can choose the vehicles that he feels are needed at the time, this would change the whole dynamic of the game but i feel in a great way, this would probably have to have some sort of resources system like Ground Control so that commanders can't just keep requesting the strongest vehicles, based on flags captured and time held.

But if they choose to go back in time what era of history are they most likely to do? Conceivably the American cival war would be a good era in the sense of weapons, technology and locations, but game play would have to be limited as getting 32 people on each side to stand in a line with their 1 shot rifle and take turns firing is very unlikely. Travel wise, I would like the idea of horses but the models would have to be pretty well animated not to look crappy but i would love to see 20 men in the battlefield engine riding horses towards a line of infantry.

But i do like the idea of 3-5 guys having to load a cannon in co-operation, maps would probably be a lot smaller due to traveling methods, but assuming the net code is improved this could open it up for more players per server giving an even better war like feel.

In reality i guess that they will go futuristic, but i just hope that they don't limit themselves too much, I'd like to see some more varied locations and game play maps, if they include spaceships they need to have some battles on top of a huge star cruiser for jet pack laser gunning fun for the men and full movement for the spaceships.

Well i just hope that they don't stray to far with their man battles type add-on, as i said before i want 20 - 20 tank battles in a nice open space not another team CTF game which is primarily for infantry like UT 2004.

Thoughts ideas?
Tue 11/10/05 at 14:08
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Caveman battlefield where you run around throwing rocks at opponents and beating them with clubs as you grunt to your team mates.

Wild west sounds quite cool, would rule to scalp chippo.
Tue 11/10/05 at 13:30
Regular
"Captain to you."
I think it would be a step towards a decent fps/rts combination, i think it would work but people would have to learn to co-operate. luckily if the commanders a complete spacker, heavey infantry in ground control can take out tanks and other things, just like battlefield where you can't find a mode of transport but can still completly pwn an area. also the way it's regular guns that do damage to tanks, people would be more likely to squad together as they would need the combined firepower.

There are some holes in my idea but i think you get the style and game play i'd like to see.

TBH i don't ever expect to get the sorts of gameplay i think would be really good, e.g. Morrowind style game where mages have to use a mic to cast spells rather than a simple button click. or an expanded version of the miricles in BAW where a player would have to draw symbols to cast different spells.
Tue 11/10/05 at 13:09
Regular
"Selected"
Chippxero wrote:
> Vehicles would no longer be spawned at the base rather the commander
> can choose the vehicles that he feels are needed at the time, this
> would change the whole dynamic of the game but i feel in a great way,
> this would probably have to have some sort of resources system like
> Ground Control so that commanders can't just keep requesting the
> strongest vehicles, based on flags captured and time held.

This is a great idea on paper, but you have somehow managed to overlook just how many mongtards play BF2. With the whole army relying pretty much entirely on the commander to get them the vehicles they need, it'd only take one moron to fill the position and order 50 buggys before quitting to ruin a game completely.

I do like the idea though, maybe if it was worked so that there isn't so much dependence on the commander by the other players, it'd be good. A vote system for which vehicle should spawn next would be massively annoying but I can't think of another way...
Tue 11/10/05 at 10:59
Regular
"Captain to you."
I was going to do a map based around SR towers but the map editor wasn't out in time while i lived near there so now i can't be bothered unless i can get alot of pictures and maps.
Tue 11/10/05 at 10:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Tyla wrote:
> You've seen the BF2 Wild West mod then?

Wha? No way! *Googles* Found one, only 30% ready they reckon. Looks good though, although no mention of horses.

I think something a lot more urban would be good - like fighting round the streets of London, using Underground stations as headquarters, boats on the Thames, that sort of thing.
Tue 11/10/05 at 10:42
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Chippxero wrote:
> In that case we need to start work on Ground Control battlefield or
> (GCB as everyone will refer to it as) straight away.

Ok, I'll meet you there.
Tue 11/10/05 at 10:13
Regular
"Captain to you."
In that case we need to start work on Ground Control battlefield or (GCB as everyone will refer to it as) straight away.
Tue 11/10/05 at 09:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> Cowboys and Indians! Defending a ring of covered wagons from
> axe/arrow wielding injuns would be awesome. I'd love to scalp each
> and every one of you.

You've seen the BF2 Wild West mod then?

As for the comment in Chips post about taking it back tobefore WWII. There'd be no point as FH2 does a better job of this than EA ever could. As with all the BF series, no atter what EA throw at them come addon's, expansions etc, it's always been the mod community that's saved the game.

It was mods which spawned numerous progressions in BF...

The 1942 Star Wars Mod (name escapes me) spawned SWBF
PoE/Desert Comabt was the driving force behind BF2
EA will do the same again, wait for a great mod of BF2 to arrive and rip it to create BF3.
Tue 11/10/05 at 09:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Cowboys and Indians! Defending a ring of covered wagons from axe/arrow wielding injuns would be awesome. I'd love to scalp each and every one of you.

Also, battle cries: "Awah awah awah awah awah!"
Tue 11/10/05 at 07:27
Regular
Battlefield 3: Kill the Iraqi's

You wouldn't need a reason to commit suicide then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.