GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well that's the highlight of my day..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/11/08 at 11:50
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Just was browsing through my spam in my googlemail account and came across one from paypal

"From:[email protected]"

"Protect Yourself from Fraud!

Dear user,

We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.

To complete your Anti-Fraud Protection, you must click the link below and enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system.

https://www.paypal.com

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response."

How excited was I to discover it was a phishing e-mail before I fell into the trap that probably 1000's of people do when they get something like this.

I discovered about 5 tell-tale signs (one being the link they wanted you to click - i.e. it wasn't actually a link...more of an incomplete e-mail).

Most of us are aware, but doing my bit for protecting online identity theft, but can you find the 4 other things I noticed were wrong with an "official" letter from paypal?

[S]*Note, I have reported it to paypal and they responded that it was indeed a phishing e-mail*

*Also, you can tell I am bored for this being the highlight of my day*
Thu 06/11/08 at 09:35
"Are you sure?"
hippyman wrote:
> And Hmmm..., I did that thing with my spam box (SPAM FREE FOR 2
> WHOLE DAYS NOW!)

:¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 05/11/08 at 20:58
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Edgy wrote:
> Supposedly Paypal investigate and attempt to close down all the
> fraudsters if you forward the email to [email protected] (though
> I'd recommend checking their security pages before using that
> address in case I remembered it wrong)

Did that straight away and they confirmed it was a phishing email.

And Hmmm..., I did that thing with my spam box (SPAM FREE FOR 2 WHOLE DAYS NOW!)
Wed 05/11/08 at 18:08
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I get an average of two per week from various banks, mostly British but I do get the odd US one now and again.

I always look up the respective bank's "send us fraudulent/phishing emails" address and forward it on with the long headers attached.
Tue 04/11/08 at 22:06
Regular
Supposedly Paypal investigate and attempt to close down all the fraudsters if you forward the email to [email protected] (though I'd recommend checking their security pages before using that address in case I remembered it wrong)
Tue 04/11/08 at 12:22
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Almost got all of the ones I did.

*Obviously the e-mail address, shouldn't be like that
*The link didn't actually work, but I'm sure it wouldn't have taken me to that said site.
*The grammar - spot on - doesn't make sense at all
*The fact it requests for more personal information

But there is one more sign that I got (actually it was the first thing I noticed...)

*I think Butch watched the Nationwide DVD on internet fraud...

EDIT: Cheers for that Hmmm..., I usually don't check my spam box, so I may give that a try.

Only went through to make sure I wasn't missing any e-mails I was said that have been sent to me (turns out they haven't...so will have to chase that up)

It's quite interesing that I get over 2000 spam mesages a month and I think Gmail does a brilliant job of keeping them out of my inbox.

*Goes off and tries Hmmm...'s suggestion*
Tue 04/11/08 at 12:22
"Are you sure?"
This is how I deal with my GMail SPAM!

Rather than have to manually delete emails from your SPAM folder you can set up a filter to delete all spam automatically.

I'm happy to delete all the GMail spam without checking it - if you want to be able to check through all the spam then this won't suit you...

In you GMail account:
Settings > Filters > Create New Filter

Set up a filter with is:spam in the 'Has the words' field. Click 'next' and then 'ok' to the warning message that will be displayed.
Set 'Delete it' as the action.

Now you will never see another GMail SPAM email...

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 04/11/08 at 12:11
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
These always make me laugh, let's see...

1 - From:[email protected]

2 - "an increasing fraudulent activity recently" makes no sense whatsoever

3 - "in order to provide your security" same deal as above

4 - "and enter as more information" and again...
Tue 04/11/08 at 11:50
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Just was browsing through my spam in my googlemail account and came across one from paypal

"From:[email protected]"

"Protect Yourself from Fraud!

Dear user,

We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.

To complete your Anti-Fraud Protection, you must click the link below and enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system.

https://www.paypal.com

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response."

How excited was I to discover it was a phishing e-mail before I fell into the trap that probably 1000's of people do when they get something like this.

I discovered about 5 tell-tale signs (one being the link they wanted you to click - i.e. it wasn't actually a link...more of an incomplete e-mail).

Most of us are aware, but doing my bit for protecting online identity theft, but can you find the 4 other things I noticed were wrong with an "official" letter from paypal?

[S]*Note, I have reported it to paypal and they responded that it was indeed a phishing e-mail*

*Also, you can tell I am bored for this being the highlight of my day*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.