GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Some electronics store shopping tips..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/11/08 at 23:46
Regular
"Braaains"
Since there's no specific category for these, I thought I'd post them here. I thought these tips might be useful to some people.

1. Always shop around. It stops you impulse buying, and there's the possibility the shop down the road is selling the same item cheaper.

2. An item's not a bargain unless you're going to use it. If it ends up gathering dust in a cupboard, it's wasted money, regardless of whether it was half price or not.

3. Items that are on sale, or reduced in some way aren't necessarily a good deal. A common tactic is for stores to have an item on display at 'full price' and then reduce it to 'half price' shortly after, so they can say that it's been reduced. The 'half price' price being the one they always intended selling it at.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount, at least if you're buying something big or expensive. The worse the salesperson can say is no.

5. If you're buying anything that uses refills, such as bags for a vacuum cleaner, or ink for a printer, always check beforehand how much they cost. Sometimes, companies sell their products cheaply, knowing that they're going to make their monkey back on the consumables.

6. Never, ever buy cables of any kind from a high street chain. The markup on these is phenomenal. Instead, check out your local bargain store. You can buy a USB cable or scart cable from Poundland for a measly quid, yet other stores charge ten quid or more. Similarly, HDMI cables can be had for £2.99 from Home Bargains. Whereas they cost fourteen pounds or upwards from other stores.

7. And finally, don't be fooled by 'buy two, get one free'. You just end up spending twice what you originally intended to spend.
Thu 06/11/08 at 13:02
Regular
I never noticed this. Some good tips Hannard.

Some food shopping tips. Never go shopping on an empty stomach, you're more likely to pick up stuff you don't really need.

I would always moan at my brother for buying games and DVDs from the shops. He buys on impulse and just shrugged his shoulders when I tell him he could have got the same DVD for £4 less on the internet. Over the years I think he has wasted over £2000 by not shopping on the internet.
Mon 03/11/08 at 23:46
Regular
"Braaains"
Since there's no specific category for these, I thought I'd post them here. I thought these tips might be useful to some people.

1. Always shop around. It stops you impulse buying, and there's the possibility the shop down the road is selling the same item cheaper.

2. An item's not a bargain unless you're going to use it. If it ends up gathering dust in a cupboard, it's wasted money, regardless of whether it was half price or not.

3. Items that are on sale, or reduced in some way aren't necessarily a good deal. A common tactic is for stores to have an item on display at 'full price' and then reduce it to 'half price' shortly after, so they can say that it's been reduced. The 'half price' price being the one they always intended selling it at.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount, at least if you're buying something big or expensive. The worse the salesperson can say is no.

5. If you're buying anything that uses refills, such as bags for a vacuum cleaner, or ink for a printer, always check beforehand how much they cost. Sometimes, companies sell their products cheaply, knowing that they're going to make their monkey back on the consumables.

6. Never, ever buy cables of any kind from a high street chain. The markup on these is phenomenal. Instead, check out your local bargain store. You can buy a USB cable or scart cable from Poundland for a measly quid, yet other stores charge ten quid or more. Similarly, HDMI cables can be had for £2.99 from Home Bargains. Whereas they cost fourteen pounds or upwards from other stores.

7. And finally, don't be fooled by 'buy two, get one free'. You just end up spending twice what you originally intended to spend.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.