GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda Vs The Final Fantasy series"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/12/00 at 23:29
Regular
Zelda has come along way from the nes to the n64. Personally I loved Ocarina of Time. It got me hooked for several days. Anyway now majoras mask is out (I have not played) will it sell and will the upcoming final fantasy installment (Final Fantasy IX) is out and looking just as impressive as the previous installments.

The Final Fantasy series was another one that got me hooked for ages. Especially Final Fantasy VII. I believe that this has the best graphics of the series, the best story and the best characters.

But Zelda uses different style fighting to final fantasy. The final fantasy series uses a system of commands and zelda uses free battles. These two suite each other so I like them.

Zelda is better graphics than final fantasy but the sound is no where near as good in zelda. Both of the series have released games for the gameboy which are decent. I would give zelda the advantage.

After these two comparisons i think zelda is only just better because there series is always revolved around the same sort of characters. This is the only downfall of the final fantasy series. I loved cloud and barret but i was really upset when the whole cast was changed in FFVIII.

Long live Nintendo and Squaresoft the best rpg makers.

P.S has anyone played Sega Bass fishing. I think it is good.

Thanks for reading Golden Rhino
Wed 27/12/00 at 23:29
Zelda has come along way from the nes to the n64. Personally I loved Ocarina of Time. It got me hooked for several days. Anyway now majoras mask is out (I have not played) will it sell and will the upcoming final fantasy installment (Final Fantasy IX) is out and looking just as impressive as the previous installments.

The Final Fantasy series was another one that got me hooked for ages. Especially Final Fantasy VII. I believe that this has the best graphics of the series, the best story and the best characters.

But Zelda uses different style fighting to final fantasy. The final fantasy series uses a system of commands and zelda uses free battles. These two suite each other so I like them.

Zelda is better graphics than final fantasy but the sound is no where near as good in zelda. Both of the series have released games for the gameboy which are decent. I would give zelda the advantage.

After these two comparisons i think zelda is only just better because there series is always revolved around the same sort of characters. This is the only downfall of the final fantasy series. I loved cloud and barret but i was really upset when the whole cast was changed in FFVIII.

Long live Nintendo and Squaresoft the best rpg makers.

P.S has anyone played Sega Bass fishing. I think it is good.

Thanks for reading Golden Rhino
Thu 28/12/00 at 08:19
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Interesting post, I haven't seen Zelda being compared to the Final Fantasy series before, so thanks for that. Having always previously had Sony, the only thing that tempted me towards the N64 has been the Zelda titles, seeing as they are hyped as 'The Best Game of All Time' by the gaming industry and press.

However, being an FF addict, which is where my name derives from if you hadn't already noticed, I've always stuck with Sony.

I haven't minded the character changes so much between installments. I thought Rinoa Heartilly from FF8 one of the most developed characters (no jokes here) from the whole series, although Squall was a little understated for my liking. Still, the graphics from FF8 far outshone the ground breaking (for its time) FF7 graphics, and the interactive help screens and online manual were a neat innovation.

As for Zelda, the one thing that has put me off the series, (and Nintendo) are the cartoony style of graphics, by which I mean too many primary colors which normally appeal to younger players. I want plot and playability, not pretty graphics. I know Zelda has that too, and am still tempted to get an N64 just for the purpose of playing the series, and having read your post, I still may do. I'll just wait to pick up an N64 in a year or two after the GameCube comes out, should be worth it then.

Out of interest, which out of the two do you think takes longer to complete, FF or Zelda?

And then which one do you think you would play more often?

And out of the two, if you could only by ONE, which would it have to be?
Thu 28/12/00 at 09:15
What you have to remember is the Final Fantasy installments are brand new each time, this keeps the game fresh and new. Also the magic system changes each time. I am a fan of both series'. I have a GameBoy with each a Zelda and Final Fantasy game and I have a Snes with Zelda 3: A link to the past, FF6. Also I have ZOoT and FF7 and FF9
I think that the games are difficult to compare because firstly Zelda isn't really an RPG, there is only one character and you cannot 'level-up', also the magic system is very limited None-the-less, I bought a N64 specifically for OoT, and am very glad I did. However if I had to pick one of the series I wouls say that FF would be the best and particularly FF7. I thought it was a revolution in that it brought RPG to the masses. Zelda would push it close though.
Thu 28/12/00 at 11:50
If I could be any character from FF series I would be cloud. He is my favourite or barret.

The trouble though with these games is that there are not enough replay value in them. Especially Zelda.

I also agree that nintendo should lay off the cartoony style graphics.

You are right it does turn you away
Thu 28/12/00 at 12:29
Regular
"everyone says it"
Zelda is the best rpg genre in the world, all the stoies link even hose from the NES1

Anyway Majoras Mask is so brilliant
Thu 28/12/00 at 19:23
Regular
It's an ingenius idea, and i don't think it's too childish at all.
It's been always the same kind of thing with saving Zelda all the time but this is different.
Thu 28/12/00 at 19:26
Regular
Majora's Mask is certainly not childish. Far from it.
Thu 28/12/00 at 21:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
Errrr...I thought only I used: "Thanks for reading,Ant."
This will prove it.
"Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant.""Thanks for reading,Ant."

Anyway, when I played Zelda on N64, I found it hard and I think for some people it got very tiresome and boring. I think Zelda MM improved on that with the time limit.
Final Fantasy is an excellent series (but it doesn't appeal to me, and neither does Zelda really).

Overall, I think they're both the same. I could be biased and say FF is better 'cos the last installments have been on PSX, but I'm not going to.

Thanks for reading, Ant. {:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.