GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Golden Joystick Awards"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/10/08 at 09:15
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Its the Golden Joystick Awards this afternoon and I know that Halo 3 and GTA are tipped for success but what other games are you expecting to win and what games do you think deserve this accolade?
Fri 31/10/08 at 20:28
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I watched it on CVG. Typical Frankie Boyle joke at the end of the show and a good joke when the EA guy didn't come up to collect the Mobile game of the Year.
Fri 31/10/08 at 20:12
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I was suprised at GTA IV getting XBox GOTY and then COD4 getting ultimate GOTY, voting must have been pretty close. Other than that I feel slightly sorry for Assassin's Creed, it'd probably have swept the boards if it was included in the 2007 voting but because of its release date it went up against Halo 3 and COD4 in most categories.

Interesting that Halo 3 didn't win anything although it managed to get loads of votes to appear as finalist in a lot of categories.

I was slightly disappointed that there were only around 860,000 votes, developers and publishers do such a great job at entertaining us and it's the only way (other than giving them money or writing them thank you letters) that we as gamers can really show our appreciation. Golden Joysticks are roughly the equivalent of BAFTAs, just wondering if Activision and Infinity Ward are going to be fighting over who keeps which ones on their mantlepieces.

Considering the influx of great games we've had recently, next year's awards should be interesting - LBP, Fallout 3, Fable II etc all vying for awards, and possibly Activision/Infinity Ward picking up yet another One To Watch with COD:6.

The strange thing about the awards is that with gaming such a mainstream pasttime, I thought they might have fleshed out the show with a more 'Oscar' like presentation and televised it rather than reducing it to a 30 minute job aired online, especially since VirginMedia themselves were the main sponsor. Maybe next year... Thought Frankie Boyle did a great job hosting it though.

Overall it was a watchable show, caught it on Goldenjoystick.com. Not positive but I think when COD4 got its first award it sounded like she said 'Modern Welfare' :)
Fri 31/10/08 at 18:26
Regular
"Mooching around"
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> Its the Golden Joystick Awards this afternoon and I know that
> Halo 3 and GTA are tipped for success but what other games are
> you expecting to win and what games do you think deserve this
> accolade?

If GTA or Halo3 win best game, I won't be surprised, but I will be slightly annoyed. Neither deserve the award in my opinion, but then, nothing else seems to spring to mind.

I think this has a pretty average year for games, nothing spectacular was released, I'm probably wrong, so someone please correct me!
Fri 31/10/08 at 16:45
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
-Nuts All-Nighter Award: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

-The Sun Family Game of the Year: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

-Bliss Handheld Game of the Year: Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

-4Talent Mobile Game of the Year: Bejeweled 2

-Mobile Game Pitch 2008: Tobias Rowe with Finders Keeper

-Official Nintendo Magazine Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros

-ESA PC Game of the Year: CoD 4: Modern Warfare

-Activision/Blizzard Retailer of the Year: Play.com

-Official Playstation Magazine High Definition PlayStation Game of the Year: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

-BBC 1Xtra Soundtrack of the Year: Grand Theft Auto IV

-Arvato Digital Services Xbox Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto IV

-Edge Most Wanted Award: Fallout 3

-GamesRadar.com Online Game of the Year: CoD 4: Modern Warfare

-CVG.co.uk UK Developer of the Year : Rockstar North

-E4.com Grand Master Flash Award: Stickman Madness

-Play.com One To Watch: CoD: World at War

-Future UK Publisher of the Year: Activision Blizzard

-Virgin Media Ultimate Game of the Year: CoD 4: Modern Warfare
Fri 31/10/08 at 10:22
"possibly impossible"
Mario Galaxy deserves a lot of praise, probably Rockband, Animal Crossing, COD4 for sure, not sure what else.

Is it just me, or does it seem like ages since all these games came out?

Games which should make next year but were too late for this year are probably: GOW2, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm 2, Fable 2, Farcry 2 and Mirror's Edge.
Fri 31/10/08 at 10:03
Regular
"THFC"
Can't find the catergories, aint looked that long for them but can't seem to find just a list of catergories lol.

Even the official website did not seem to have anything on it.

Was just thinking, you know GoW2 and WoW will pick up some awards
Fri 31/10/08 at 09:51
Regular
"THFC"
Well i enjoyed / still enjoy Halo 3 a lot, um i would say that Fable 2 may deserve some credit, but then games like FIFA 09 have kept me playing and been a very good game.

GTA IV will take some awards, while i liked it i never thought it was incredible and i had to keep playing, i just kind of went through the motions with it, but it will win something.

COD4 may still pick up awards and deservingly because it is amazing. Without looking i do not know what catergories are about, i will have a hunt and post them on if i get some time.
Fri 31/10/08 at 09:15
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Its the Golden Joystick Awards this afternoon and I know that Halo 3 and GTA are tipped for success but what other games are you expecting to win and what games do you think deserve this accolade?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.