GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"They don't make Christmas like they used to!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/12/02 at 21:26
Regular
Christmas is a time of celebration. Not of this "Jesus was born on this day, blah, blah, blah" stuff, but people just celebrate knowing their friends and families nowadays with gifts (and socks). Ok, sorry if that sounds offensive to anyone, but Christmas has become more of an excuse to party than a celebration of the birth of such a revolutionalist!

Anyway, back to gaming. I remember a time, when games were programmed by typing commands into a keyboard that were saved to a cassette tape and then later played to re-load the games. In such a time as this, there were many seasonal games released, usually based on semi-popular (this is pre-Mario time you know) characters that featured in six or seven games that were virtually identical (like Mario). One of these games was a platform adventure named Moley Christmas, starring Monty Mole who featured in games such as 'Auf Wierdesehen Monty'.

Many ZX Spectrum games were themed on Christmas and other such dates like Valentines Day and so forth that the library of available games just wouldn't stop increasing (until the end of the shelf-life of the consoles that is). But it seems that no more are we recieving these festive videogames on the shelves of our local shops, but we are recieving the odd occasional featurette such as Homer Simpson wearing a Christmas hat on Christmas day on The Simpson's Road Rage. Gee, Merry Christmas to you too!

Ok, Fairdeal Frank, it costs a lot more nowadays to create games, so to create a Christmas based game that would sell by the bucketload would be a challenge for anyone indeed. But I reckon it could happen: How about Lara Croft showing us her Christmas Stockings as she travels to the North Pole to search for the (insert made-up mysterious artifact) that got lost many generations ago in a lost tomb of the northern freezer; or maybe Super Mario has another 'Doki Doki Panic' dream which sees you controlling Mario in a 3D world trying to ring backthe cliche of saving Santa from his reputation being ruined by the evil meanie dudes; or maybe even a high speed delivery adventure based on the isometric classic, Paperboy?

But no, all we get is a remake of a Game Boy Color game, that is slightly below average in the "I might get this game one day' catagory, named Santa Claus Junior on the Advance. Is the blue hair a mistake in Santa's geniology? Don't get me wrong, it is a start, but it would be nice to see a few more festive frollics on the current consoles, even if they weren't the most innovotive games of all time. Was Mario Kart: Super Circuit really anything revolutionary?

All I ask is that developers have a think and decide whether or not to include Christmas as a theme to some of their games, even if it is just like Rareware's Banjo Kazooie, which saw our favourite bird and bear duo scaling the giant snowman of Freezeazy peak. To some, that was their favourite level in the Nintendo 64 caper!

Lets bring Christmas back to gaming.
Tue 24/12/02 at 23:12
Regular
Spam and Chips (sorry, I couldn't resist :D)
Tue 24/12/02 at 23:09
Regular
"Notable"
carrots and turnip
Tue 24/12/02 at 23:08
Regular
Blue and Yellow indeed.
Tue 24/12/02 at 22:45
Regular
"Notable"
orange and purple.

what?
Tue 24/12/02 at 22:40
Regular
Red and green would clash :/
Tue 24/12/02 at 21:00
Regular
"Max Power"
Sr should be more christmassy instad of having light grey and dark grey posts they should be red and green!
Tue 24/12/02 at 12:57
Regular
Nah, what you do it change your consoles internal clock, then you can play it anytime you like.

Sonic Adventure had Christmas too, it snowed and there was a huge christmas tree in the central area.
Mon 23/12/02 at 18:48
"possibly impossible"
Christmas NiGHTS was still the best Christmas game ever, I've started getting all the presents back on it now. I love that game, especially the reward at the end for getting an A score. It even had other effects on 14th Feb, 31st October and other famous dates. Excellent.

The problem is that you can only play Christmas games at a certain time of the year to get the most from them. Free cover discs are the way to go, but it would be nice if someone did a Sonic Team style thing, as with NiGHTS and gave them to game shops to give away as well.

In the meantime, buy a cheap Saturn and a copy of Christmas NiGHTS, you'll play it every year!
Mon 23/12/02 at 10:52
Regular
"bWo > You"
Remember Toy Commander's free Christmas Edition? You were Santa Claus, and had to fly around with presents, or something. Ages since I last played it. Top notch Crimbo giveaway, so it was!
Sun 22/12/02 at 22:14
Regular
Sounds like it's all Deutsch to me... (the actual address - not gone there yet)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.